collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175782 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #840 on: April 21, 2021, 05:41:51 PM »
Boom!

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #841 on: April 21, 2021, 08:10:17 PM »
Yeah, well done Jon.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2021, 09:33:55 AM »
Congrats Jon. I said you would do it 8)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #843 on: May 15, 2021, 08:29:45 AM »
New 5K PB of 22.43 this morning 😃

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #844 on: May 15, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »

That's a great effort Richard, well done.

Online AV82EC

« Reply #845 on: May 15, 2021, 10:49:58 AM »

Applauds.....

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #846 on: June 03, 2021, 09:35:21 PM »
I’ve been off the running for a couple of weeks injured, 100k ultra coming up 10 July, been back on it this week not entirely pain free but nearly there, 3 big weekends coming up, 35k this Saturday, 45k next Saturday and then a 55k the Saturday after before a week of recovery and the big 100.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #847 on: June 03, 2021, 09:50:57 PM »

Blimey! Well done!

Offline charlatan

« Reply #848 on: June 03, 2021, 10:36:01 PM »
Had a ridiculous fall three months running downhill on grass. One foot slipped, tried to catch myself with the other which also slipped and thenmy legs got tangled up. Screwed up meniscus in my left knee (left leg ended up twisting underneath the right). Didn't hurt too much at the time (able to run home with some hobbling on the steeper downhill sections).

Three months later and I can only manage half an hour or so on the flat on the road (more than twice what I could handle a couple of months ago). Could run much further uphill, offroad although there are no hills that big nearby (can gain 250m in altitude in 25 mins from home with the second half on the moor, but then it's mostly walking downhill to get back). Flat and easy downhill on the grass is fine now (but wasn't a couple of months ago). Have been doing lots of uphill intervals on the golf course in the gloaming (hard on the uphills, walk the downhills) which is actually a pretty good workout.

Think it's slowly getting better, but running hard downhill on the road or long runs (10+ miles) without any breaks to avoid downhill sections seems a long way off. Lots of sessions on the exercise bike and the odd proper ride seems the best I can do to stay as fit as possible.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #849 on: June 07, 2021, 07:35:22 PM »
Had a ridiculous fall three months running downhill on grass. One foot slipped, tried to catch myself with the other which also slipped and thenmy legs got tangled up. Screwed up meniscus in my left knee (left leg ended up twisting underneath the right). Didn't hurt too much at the time (able to run home with some hobbling on the steeper downhill sections).

Three months later and I can only manage half an hour or so on the flat on the road (more than twice what I could handle a couple of months ago). Could run much further uphill, offroad although there are no hills that big nearby (can gain 250m in altitude in 25 mins from home with the second half on the moor, but then it's mostly walking downhill to get back). Flat and easy downhill on the grass is fine now (but wasn't a couple of months ago). Have been doing lots of uphill intervals on the golf course in the gloaming (hard on the uphills, walk the downhills) which is actually a pretty good workout.

Think it's slowly getting better, but running hard downhill on the road or long runs (10+ miles) without any breaks to avoid downhill sections seems a long way off. Lots of sessions on the exercise bike and the odd proper ride seems the best I can do to stay as fit as possible.

Ouch, being injured sucks big time.

Managed the 35k on Saturday, stopped every 10k to simulate an aid station, took on a gel or half a bar and drinks, also a good stretch of the back and hip flexors in particular. Really hard to slow things down to a 6.5 - 7 minute km which is what we will be aiming at over the non stop 100km race in a few weeks, as someone who runs the half in c1:35 and full marathon in c3:30 it was purgatory.

Online AV82EC

« Reply #850 on: June 07, 2021, 08:09:52 PM »

Managed the 35k on Saturday, stopped every 10k to simulate an aid station, took on a gel or half a bar and drinks, also a good stretch of the back and hip flexors in particular. Really hard to slow things down to a 6.5 - 7 minute km which is what we will be aiming at over the non stop 100km race in a few weeks, as someone who runs the half in c1:35 and full marathon in c3:30 it was purgatory.

Bloody hell, 6.30 to 7 min/km must feel like fast walking!! Good luck with it Jon, whats the course like?

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #851 on: June 08, 2021, 04:37:57 PM »

Bloody hell, 6.30 to 7 min/km must feel like fast walking!! Good luck with it Jon, whats the course like?

100km non stop, c1500 metres of climbing, aid station every c10km.

I'm overdoing the hills to be honest, training plan says c100m per 10km, I do 300m in 10km because of where I live, cant avoid the hills.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #852 on: July 02, 2021, 10:45:01 PM »
Managed to get up to nine miles easy paced road running, but recovering from this injury is such a drawn out process....

Running that slowly at the start must feel awkward Jon, although I guess there will be a stage where it feels about right and then a further stage where it doesn't again! At least that was my experience of running the marathon distance without any specific training for it a couple of times in the days when my longest training runs were 10 miles or so.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #853 on: July 06, 2021, 05:17:29 PM »
Christ Jon I’ve no idea how you do that. Bonkers effort.

On holiday in Devon I did a couple of very short runs, one where I climbed 100m in 1.5K and I was absolutely dying.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #854 on: July 06, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
Did the Birmingham and Black Country Half on Saturday, Wolverhampton to Brindley Place along the towpaths. First organised event for the best part of 18 months, got the distinct impression everyone was flagging in the last 2-3 miles. Did it in 1:49:08 which I was happy with all things considered. It’s the first time I’ve done this one and it’s a nice route, takes in quite a lot of my regular training locations.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal