collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos)  (Read 99732 times)

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos)
« Reply #1485 on: May 06, 2024, 12:00:54 PM »
I simply don't understand the obsession with qualifying for the CL.
We've over-achieved this season.
We're guaranteed European football next season, and that in a competion that's a step up from the one we're currently playing in, but that we should be able to at least compete in.
I would have played a second team at Brighton and rested the players we're going to need on Thursday.
We've done so very well this season, I'd take the chance (and I know it's only a chance) of silverwear over qualification for a competition which is still beyond us.
Why do clubs in the championship strive to get into the premier League ?
Because it’s the only place to be.
Most of teams in the PL are never going to win the thing, but they still want to be in it.

The CL is the pinnacle of European club football now (like it or not) and we need to be at the top table.
Yes we do BUT... I see no point in qualifying for the thing too early at the POSSIBLE expense of silverware. As I say, if we weren't nailed on for fifth (or if fifth place wasn't a qualifying spot) I would agree entirely with you (and others, like Risso). Ultimately, it's our understandably knackered and injured players which make this an issue. Not that they can be blamed. If only we'd kept Ashley Young!  ;)

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #1486 on: May 06, 2024, 12:30:51 PM »
I reckon Emery will rightly think this is probably beyond us and make a load of changes in preparation for Liverpool.
I hope so.

It might be pointless doing that though, because even rested up and raring to go, our current best XI of fit players still probably loses to Liverpool.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #1487 on: May 06, 2024, 12:43:57 PM »
Would be a shame if SUE throws the game on Thursday. Start full strength, if we get an early goal I think we will win comfortably (3+ to nil). Players can be rested once we are in that position or the game appears beyond us.

I would go 4-4-2 :

Emi/Olsen
Cash  Konsa  Pau  Digne
Bailey  McGinn  Luiz  Tielemans/Diaby/Zaniolo
Watkins  Duran

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #1488 on: May 06, 2024, 12:49:23 PM »
We're guaranteed European football next season, and that in a competion that's a step up from the one we're currently playing in, but that we should be able to at least compete in.
I would have played a second team at Brighton and rested the players we're going to need on Thursday.
We've done so very well this season, I'd take the chance (and I know it's only a chance) of silverwear over qualification for a competition which is still beyond us.
Why do clubs in the championship strive to get into the premier League ?
Because it’s the only place to be.
Most of teams in the PL are never going to win the thing, but they still want to be in it.

The CL is the pinnacle of European club football now (like it or not) and we need to be at the top table.
Yes we do BUT... I see no point in qualifying for the thing too early at the POSSIBLE expense of silverware. As I say, if we weren't nailed on for fifth (or if fifth place wasn't a qualifying spot) I would agree entirely with you (and others, like Risso). Ultimately, it's our understandably knackered and injured players which make this an issue. Not that they can be blamed. If only we'd kept Ashley Young!  ;)

The very fact we've overachieved this season is why we have to make it count and get the 4th place. The CL is where we need to be to start being taken seriously and to get where our owners want us to be. The dreaded regression to the mean coupled with the fact that there's no guarantee Manure or Chelsea will still be basket cases next season, could mean that if we don't get it now, that's us shut out for another decade or more. No one cares about the Europa League or the Conference League, unless you're in it. And sometimes not even then...

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1489 on: May 06, 2024, 12:50:18 PM »
I think we will go full strength with whatever we have left. Being 7 points ahead of Spurs gives the breathing room.

I think we will go all out and back ourselves to get a win in our final two games to get 4th.

It’s not in Emery’s nature, or the attitude he’s trying to instil, to give up within sniffing distance of a final.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1490 on: May 06, 2024, 01:01:00 PM »
We already have enough points to finish 4th, so why are we getting suggestions to throw a semi final?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1491 on: May 06, 2024, 01:13:22 PM »
Totally agree GJ. The greater jeopardy is on Thursday evening. All our effort since last Thursday should have been concentrated on Olympiakos match . We are in a comfortable place in the fight for 4th. We were before the game and we are after having lost, so there was nothing to lose by resting likes of McGinn, Watkins and Bailey.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1492 on: May 06, 2024, 01:15:56 PM »
I reckon Emery will rightly think this is probably beyond us and make a load of changes in preparation for Liverpool.
I hope so.
I fucking do hope NOT.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1493 on: May 06, 2024, 01:23:54 PM »
As full strength as we can for both as I don't see Unai throwing such important games.
Unless injury gets in the way of course but it would be such a huge lift if Emi is back in goal on Thursday.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1494 on: May 06, 2024, 01:53:43 PM »

You don't know when we'll get a chance as good as this again for top 4. Chelsea are showing signs of getting their shit together for example and will almost certainly be much stronger next season. If we weren't 2-0 down and in terrible form, you'd have a point possibly, but as it is we've absolutely no chance of getting to the final in my opinion, I'd say we're far more likely to lose again on Thursday. Let's concentrate on hauling ourselves over the line to get 4th.

Why? So we can play a couple of games in it and focus on the league next season?

It makes no sense to chuck a Semi-Final when you're 2-0 down to focus on trying to be 4th in another competition.

Because what's the point in bothering going for champions league? A bit more cash? To do the same with? We're already in the Europa League next season, and we'll earn good cash from that too. So let's go all out to win the one thing we can actually win.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1495 on: May 06, 2024, 02:02:54 PM »
I hope so.
I fucking do hope NOT.

😂

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1496 on: May 06, 2024, 02:09:13 PM »
Go full strength for this. We likely have enough points for 4th place already and imagine the boost our squad will get, if we can turn the tie around somehow.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1497 on: May 06, 2024, 02:16:48 PM »
The day we throw in the towel and play a weakened team in a semi final is the day you'd have to wonder what is the point.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1498 on: May 06, 2024, 02:22:01 PM »

You don't know when we'll get a chance as good as this again for top 4. Chelsea are showing signs of getting their shit together for example and will almost certainly be much stronger next season. If we weren't 2-0 down and in terrible form, you'd have a point possibly, but as it is we've absolutely no chance of getting to the final in my opinion, I'd say we're far more likely to lose again on Thursday. Let's concentrate on hauling ourselves over the line to get 4th.

Why? So we can play a couple of games in it and focus on the league next season?

It makes no sense to chuck a Semi-Final when you're 2-0 down to focus on trying to be 4th in another competition.

Because what's the point in bothering going for champions league? A bit more cash? To do the same with? We're already in the Europa League next season, and we'll earn good cash from that too. So let's go all out to win the one thing we can actually win.

Newsflash - the Champions League is changing from next season so everybody plays a minimum of eight games. And yes, it would mean more money, as well as more prestige and global recognition, our better players feeling like they don't have to move to play in it, attracting better players who want to be in it, denying our rivals a spot in it...apart from that, nah, completely pointless.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1499 on: May 06, 2024, 02:23:50 PM »
The day we throw in the towel and play a weakened team in a semi final is the day you'd have to wonder what is the point.
Strikes me that Emery is not that sort of bloke to do that, though the owners might be in his ear constantly about having to finish 4th whilst promising him the known world (to misquote "Life of Brian") in transfer funds (within FFP of course!).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal