collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by jon collett
[Today at 09:09:11 PM]

Champions League 2024-2025 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:04:32 PM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by AV84
[Today at 08:08:39 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 07:19:02 PM]

Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 07:18:51 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[Today at 07:16:52 PM]

Next FAB meeting by jon collett
[Today at 05:41:56 PM]

The Running thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 05:02:06 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by jon collett
[Today at 09:09:11 PM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:04:32 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:51:19 PM]

Re: FFP by ozzjim
[Today at 08:28:12 PM]

Re: FFP by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:23:53 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:23:19 PM]

Re: FFP by dalians umbrella
[Today at 08:13:27 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:10:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Standard of Refereeing  (Read 3759 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Standard of Refereeing
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2024, 05:02:34 AM »
The problem now is that they have lost all credibility and it is no wonder when you see some horror decisions that people start to believe that these are not just mistakes, particularly when VAR either endorses the error or fails to correct it.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2024, 06:43:54 AM »
I thought the first one Man City got at the weekend was ridiculous.

Was that the first penalty? The ref wasn’t going to give it until a Man City player shouted at him. It was two players going for the ball and the attacker still got his shot off. VAR did not intervene.

Then in the same game the ref waved play on when Harland was taken out from the back when he was clean through. The ref was then corrected by VAR.

The ref got both wrong, but what I don’t get, is VAR corrected him on one decision and not the the other.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2024, 08:40:02 AM »
Yes the first penalty and yep, the Man City player did manage to get a shot in. Compare that to the third one Forest didn't get when Ashley Young took their player out from behind. It's all a bit farcical.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2024, 08:51:45 AM »
The issue is not “refs are shit”. The issue is that a) it is a very hard game to ref, and increasingly hard (faster and more cheating/simulation); b) every decision is scrutinised with replays from many angles so errors and perceived injustices are amplified; and c) the set up of VAR is ambiguous and flawed (there is not an objective truth on many or even most decisions, so the concept of a tv replay to get it right simply doesn’t work for most incidents - it just provides another opinion).

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2024, 08:31:10 PM »
Szymon Marciniak doing Real v Bayern and Daniele Orsato who officated the Champions League semi yesterday referee are top quality in my book.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2024, 08:36:37 PM »
The issue is not “refs are shit”. The issue is that a) it is a very hard game to ref, and increasingly hard (faster and more cheating/simulation); b) every decision is scrutinised with replays from many angles so errors and perceived injustices are amplified; and c) the set up of VAR is ambiguous and flawed (there is not an objective truth on many or even most decisions, so the concept of a tv replay to get it right simply doesn’t work for most incidents - it just provides another opinion).
I think it's more that VAR has given the on-field ref a get-out-of-jail card: the ref can (as happened in our recent Chelsea game) make a non-decision on the pitch knowing that VAR will provide a decision.
Whereas elsewhere, it seems that refs see VAR as a genuine complementary and additional tool that can be deployed in extremis.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2024, 01:46:53 AM »
VAR seems to be caught between 'not re-reffing the game' and the old pals' act between refs and the VAR official.

Presumably, the former was why we didn't get that early penalty at Brighton.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2024, 02:39:57 AM »
I think that we will get a new standard of referee that can interact with VAR. Also, there will be better communication with the fans on crucial decisions.

Look to the NFL. When I lived in the U.S. I used to say on lots of issues, we'll been doing this sooner or later. Usually, it turned out to be sooner. Doesn't necessarily mean better.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2024, 07:04:37 AM »
They rushed the use of VAR and it has caused more Problems than it has solved.
The big issue as I have said many times is there PGMOL, it’s a disgrace that you have a for profit unregulated business officiating football.
There is incompetence, protectionism and a wiff of corruption.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2024, 12:12:06 AM »
Yep.

Should have introduced it for line decisions only, monitor how that went and possibly add to it for other things, after consulting coaches and players. Maybe even fans!!

Doesn't help when there appears to be a new handball law every season which VAR has to adjudicate on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal