collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 7706 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« on: September 01, 2023, 08:06:28 PM »
First of all all I was worse for the Pairc Festival wear last weekend.

A better and more focused window primarily concentrated on improving the first team. 

Ridding ourselves of promising youngsters is clever and risky in equal measure. 

Having looked at the squad overall it’s good but I still think we are a proven back up striker and keeper away from a top four challenge.  That’s assuming all the injured players are back.  That said the replacements at first team level all seem a cut above. 

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 08:13:00 PM »
The window's still open so I'm reserving judgement.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:16:59 PM by Brazilian Villain »

Offline enigma

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 08:16:09 PM »
I'd have liked an actual striker. We have others like Diaby or Zaniolo who could maybe fill in but then that leaves us light in their usual positions. I just want someone whose primary job is playing up front. Maybe Duran could be that man but I'm not convinced he's up to it yet.

That's my only concern. Other than that it's been a great window.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 08:19:06 PM »
I'd have liked an actual striker. We have others like Diaby or Zaniolo who could maybe fill in but then that leaves us light in their usual positions. I just want someone whose primary job is playing up front. Maybe Duran could be that man but I'm not convinced he's up to it yet.

That's my only concern. Other than that it's been a great window.

That's my view as well. It feels like we're risking a lot on Watkins, again.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 08:19:14 PM »
B for me. Happy with all the additions, would have like another forward. But good overall.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 08:21:04 PM »
The window's still open so I'm reserving judgement.

If we sign Salah before 11 lock the thread.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 08:21:25 PM »
Watkins will go on a goal drought at some point, we've just got to hope we can add goals from other areas if/when he does. I can't see Duran chipping in with too many.

I still think we're too thin up top to try and be competitive in all competitions. Injuries, suspensions and fatigue will catch up with us. Hopefully Martinez stays fit and plays every game as the less said about Olsen the better.

Overall, a tad disappointed. If we'd signed Johnson for example I'd have been much happier. Or Zaha.

Striker and goalkeeper short. I'd have kept Young as well.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:24:06 PM by Goldenballs »

Online AV84

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 08:23:50 PM »
If you believe all the links then there were a few big names that turned us down, but all in all it feels like we signed players the manager wanted to sign.

There's a few clubs out there still seeming like they're reacting to other deals, signing positions rather than players, spending a lot of money on questionable deals.

I think we've done well, and a good measure of that is how many fans of other clubs I've seen say we've had the best transfer window. 

Personally I'm a fan of being cautious with FFP and not flying so close to it that any kind of blip derails us massively down the line. I feel like we've done that, improved the squad but left ourselves in a good position for the next window too.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 08:25:19 PM »
I think we have signed 4 excellent players and 1 good player for cover, making it a terrific window.  We have regained and enhanced our reputation as being a really good club and one to watch out for in all competitions.  No-one will really look forward to playing us and the biggest compliment is that there is a groan as teams are drawn against us in cups.   

Diaby has already scored a couple, Tielemans is a really steady and classy player, Pau looks a classy player and Zaniolo is a bums off the seats type player.   One more would be great, if and when Coutinho exits but we are running out of time.  Very pleased with the window, ins and out with the decks cleared of several players who weren't quite going to make it, but actually hedging our bets by being safe with buy-back clauses too.  All really sensible. 

Good window. 8 out of 10.  Another striker would have made it a 10 out of 10.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 08:26:57 PM »
Happy. We've brought some real quality into the squad. A year ago there's plenty that would have driven Doug to Arsenal when they offered £25m, and we were signing Bednarek on loan and had a fraud in charge. Look at us now.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2023, 08:27:50 PM »
Very good
Would have been excellent if we had got a better backup goalkeeper in

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 08:30:46 PM »
So far at first glance all our singings look superb and we’ve improved massively the playing squad. It was never going to be perfect it never is, but overall it seems a terrific window with our incomings and financially clever with and outgoings.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 08:31:26 PM »
Good additions, but so many forward players shipped out. I'm surprised that we haven't signed an out and out striker. Forward options are a concern  especially with any injuries. 7/10.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2023, 08:32:42 PM »
With four hours left (more if you’re arsenal) my verdict is:

8.5/10

GOOD:
1. Diaby
2. None of the big guns left or threatened to leave.  Good in itself but shows that the ‘project’ is not just PR fluff fed to the media.
3. Cleared out a path for the U18s by selling Archer etc
4. FFP sorted for a few years
5. Buy back options are great insurance
6. Coutinho sale frees up wages (assuming this happens).  It feels like we are creating space for a gear change next year.
7. Opportunity and path created for Duran.  Regardless of whether good or bad we have removed any ambiguity or confusion. 
8. Increased versatility of players.

MEH
9. Not sure the Pau signing was necessary - but has turned out to be genius with Mings’ injury.

BAD
10. I appreciate this contradicts some of the above but I’d liked the club make the youth system their priority/identity by playing Archer et al ahead of other squad fillers.
11. No Olsen replacement.  Possibly not as bad as folk make out but it feels like the jury have already made their verdict on him.

NEXT
12. Watkins signs a new contract
13. Bailey needs to find consistency or we must look to sell at the optimum price.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:34:36 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 08:35:04 PM »
I'd describe it as decent.

Needed a striker though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal