collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:55:01 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:54:02 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:50:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 12:45:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 12:42:56 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by London Villan
[Today at 12:40:55 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:55:01 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:54:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:53:24 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:50:55 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:50:26 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:45:35 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 12:45:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Holy Trinity

Re: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2023, 08:37:11 PM »
Very good window,

We have lost players to injury but still look strong, I
Dont get the clamour for a new striker when we have about 5 players who can  play there now including Zaniolo, Diaby, Bailey, Duran, Traore, Watkins. If somehow Ollie gets injured between now and Jan we will manage I think. We have adequately replaced Mings, Carlos looks solid now, the LB/RB situation is fine with the new fluid formation and tactics.

With the exception of a back up keeper better than Olsen who more than proved he's not as bad as we all think on Thursday I think we are in a great position.

I wouldn't be against an extra body through the door but don't actually think we need one now.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2023, 08:39:08 PM »
It's a fucking brilliant window and one of the best we've had. I understand the concern about striker but we have a number of players that can play there now. And Watkins stays happy too.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2023, 08:40:57 PM »
With four hours left (more if you’re arsenal) my verdict is:

8.5/10

GOOD:
1. Diaby
2. None of the big guns left or threatened to leave.  Good in itself but shows that the ‘project’ is not just PR fluff fed to the media.
3. Cleared out a path for the U18s by selling Archer etc
4. FFP sorted for a few years
5. Buy back options are great insurance
6. Coutinho sale frees up wages (assuming this happens).  It feels like we are creating space for a gear change next year.
7. Opportunity and path created for Duran.  Regardless of whether good or bad we have removed any ambiguity or confusion. 
8. Increased versatility of players.

MEH
9. Not sure the Pau signing was necessary - but has turned out to be genius with Mings’ injury.

BAD
10. I appreciate this contradicts some of the above but I’d liked the club make the youth system their priority/identity by playing Archer et al ahead of other squad fillers.
11. No Olsen replacement.  Possibly not as bad as folk make out but it feels like the jury have already made their verdict on him.

NEXT
12. Watkins signs a new contract
13. Bailey needs to find consistency or we must look to sell at the optimum price.

Meh about Torres is an odd view

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2023, 08:41:15 PM »
…Ultimately it feels sustainable.  Improved the team today without jeopardising tomorrow.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2023, 08:44:21 PM »
Meh about Torres is an odd view

Not doubting the player.  More a question of whether it was a priority and the risk that it would unsettle the squad like collymore/yorke/savo/Johnson back in the day.  Mings’ injury removes the above concerns.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2023, 08:45:19 PM »
Very good window,

Dont get the clamour for a new striker when we have about 5 players who can  play there now including Zaniolo, Diaby, Bailey, Duran, Traore, Watkins. If somehow Ollie gets injured between now and Jan we will manage I think. We have adequately replaced Mings, Carlos looks solid now, the LB/RB situation is fine with the new fluid formation and tactics.

With the exception of a back up keeper better than Olsen who more than proved he's not as bad as we all think on Thursday I think we are in a great position.

I wouldn't be against an extra body through the door but don't actually think we need one now.

Can Bailey or Traore play as a striker though? You can stick them in the position but can't see either of them being much use. Duran is unproven, I don't know enough about Zaniolo to say if he can or not. If Watkins gets injured we shouldn't really have left ourselves in a position to just make do.

To me, Thursday proved than Olsen is a bombscare and an accident waiting to happen.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 08:54:46 PM »
I'm reasonably happy with what we've done overall. I wouldnt grumble at another striker but I think we'll be ok.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 08:55:26 PM »
Very good window,

Can Bailey or Traore play as a striker though? You can stick them in the position but can't see either of them being much use. Duran is unproven, I don't know enough about Zaniolo to say if he can or not. If Watkins gets injured we shouldn't really have left ourselves in a position to just make do.

To me, Thursday proved than Olsen is a bombscare and an accident waiting to happen.

Bailey has played there a fair bit in his career for club and Country.

Traore I might be imagining it but I swear he was a 9 at tomes in France and also for the Chelsea youth team.
You wouldn't want to rely on them for a 38 game season but Duran could of had 5 on Wednesday if he was picked out with passes. Including finding 10 yards of space before Kellyman chose to pass to Baily instead.
I think we would be fine should we lose Ollie to an injury.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 09:07:28 PM »
Bailey has mostly been disappointing in his preferred role, so expecting him to play as a number 9 is crazy talk.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2023, 09:13:13 PM »
I think we've made some very astute signings and also significantly reduced our net spend by moving on some kids, who were never going to get the chance really, for a total of not far off £40m. Add to that 18 or so for Coutinho and that is some excellent wheeling and dealing.

I also think we'll be way stronger when the injured players come back (obviously) and the window will probably look different then.

However, I think we have a too-long history of being "one signing short" and I worry that this window is no different, that signing being a striker.

Although TBH, I am only saying that because I have accepted that Emery has some sort of weakness when it comes to Olsen and the idea that he's good enough.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2023, 09:13:57 PM »
Bailey has mostly been disappointing in his preferred role, so expecting him to play as a number 9 is crazy talk.

Indeed, it is nuts, it's like "we can always play El Ghazi / Traore / whoever  there".

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2023, 09:25:15 PM »
Traore’s best form was as a striker at Ajax (based on the YouTube videos when we signed him).  Don’t forget Duran too.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2023, 09:29:17 PM »
Had we signed a top drawer centre forward and a better back up goalkeeper it would've been maybe the best transfer window ever.  It's still been good.

Unai Emery knows what he's doing, so I have zero concerns.  But I do wonder if we will come up a bit short if Watkins, Diaby or Emi Martinez are out for an extended period.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2023, 09:33:51 PM »
I'm happy with what we have done this window.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2023, 09:35:31 PM »
It's a fucking brilliant window and one of the best we've had. I understand the concern about striker but we have a number of players that can play there now. And Watkins stays happy too.
This. My two main concerns are that we lost two key players in Mings and Buendia. Torres is good to cover Mings and Lenglet will do as back up. Other concern is Watkins wasting chances. I think Buendia missing and issue with Ollie could stop us doing what we need to do this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal