collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:03:28 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 10:03:17 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:44:04 AM]

NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:29:01 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:10:10 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by VillaTim
[Today at 09:08:48 AM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 08:12:59 AM]

8 years ago today - Apr 30, 2016 by sid1964
[Today at 07:58:23 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:03:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 10:03:17 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:56:51 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 09:51:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:48:43 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:44:04 AM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by frankmosswasmyuncle
[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 372956 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski
« Reply #4350 on: September 20, 2023, 12:34:10 PM »
Ridiculous.
Villa are playing European football again and progressing from Tuesday nights in the Championship.
3rd tier or not I'd class it as a major achievement if we manage to win it.
Other clubs are at different levels and used to being in higher ranked competitions but we're not there yet and any side in the top 10 come April or May aren't giving games away just in case they finish 7th.
Anyways I couldn't give a toss what other clubs fans think.
I'm not sure what point you are making.  Has anybody said that progressing from Tuesday nights in the Championship to winning the ECL wouldn't be a major achievement?

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4351 on: September 20, 2023, 12:34:31 PM »
I think West Ham winning it last season raised the profile of the competition in the eyes of most fans. I know 84 other league clubs who'd love a crack at it.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4352 on: September 20, 2023, 12:36:56 PM »
All those that ain't in it.  Remember when the League Cup was introduced, all the 'big clubs' of the day looked down their noses at it and didn't enter?  Fast forward a few years and they all wanted to win it as it was a passport to Europe.

If they'd all entered in 1963 Blues wouldn't have won it.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #4353 on: September 20, 2023, 12:48:53 PM »
I can't see Villa fans turning to each other after a super team goal goes in at the Holte End to win us a tight contest on a bonkers night under the lights and saying "That was awesome but it's only the 3rd tier of Europe".

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4354 on: September 20, 2023, 12:50:24 PM »
I can't see Villa fans turning to each other after a super team goal goes in at the Holte End to win us a tight contest on a bonkers night under the lights and saying "That was awesome but it's only the 3rd tier of Europe".
Again, nobody is remotely suggesting that will happen.

Offline AV84

« Reply #4355 on: September 20, 2023, 12:53:49 PM »
Again, nobody is remotely suggesting that will happen.

Yeah, to be fair, most of the conversation in regards to "3rd tier" is about whether we should be prioritising the league over the conference when it comes to team selection. I disagree with that, but it doesn't meant that those who think it won't enjoy seeing us do well in Europe.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4356 on: September 20, 2023, 12:57:14 PM »
I definitely think we should be trying to win it, there's a Europa place up for grabs and a European tour is great fun.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4357 on: September 20, 2023, 01:00:04 PM »
I don't consider it a major trophy.  Clearly it would be nice to win it and West Ham fans certainly enjoyed it, but there's no way I'd class a third-tier Euro competition as a major trophy.
It isn't a major trophy as the best clubs aren't in it
Get a grip people. Exactly how many trophies have we won since 1996?
It is a major trophy because you have to qualify for it by your League position in the toughest League in world football. Honestly some posts on here  take me back to MON era when some on here were dismissing our regular stints in the Europa League as insignificant. From where we have been since then this is absolutely great. It is massive progress and we need to keep on moving up by hard work.

Online VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4358 on: September 20, 2023, 01:19:14 PM »
I don't consider it a major trophy.  Clearly it would be nice to win it and West Ham fans certainly enjoyed it, but there's no way I'd class a third-tier Euro competition as a major trophy.
It isn't a major trophy as the best clubs aren't in it
Get a grip people. Exactly how many trophies have we won since 1996?

we won the past incarnation of this Conference in 2001 - Intertoto remember ? No you'd forgotten , just like in 10 years this will be forgotten. But here and now its a route to the Europa League so that is a good target. I still prioritise the League and FA Cup above it though

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4359 on: September 20, 2023, 01:20:25 PM »

Whether you do or not, it is one. That's a simple fact.
Didn't realise there was a definition.  Even so, if the majority of people (outside of Villa and West Ham fans) don't think it is then it doesn't matter what you believe is fact or not.

Well, it just is. Lots of Man City fans don't think the FA Cup is a major trophy either.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4360 on: September 20, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »
It’s a major trophy, but not as major as the more major ones, but it’s still major
As major trophies go it's pretty minor.  I think I'd argue it's a major minor trophy more than a minor major one though.
Who do you think you are too decide how important trophies are? Do you think it's some kind of army rank thing and you're a major minor trophy major? I think if that's the case you're a pretty minor major minor trophy major!

For what it's worth, I consider it to be the continental equivalent of the League Cup.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4361 on: September 20, 2023, 01:25:06 PM »
It's nothing like the Intertoto. Why do people keep saying that?

The official entry spot for English clubs into the Conference is winning the League Cup. So from the very first step of the 2 competitions they are nothing alike.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4362 on: September 20, 2023, 01:25:42 PM »
It’s a major trophy, but not as major as the more major ones, but it’s still major
As major trophies go it's pretty minor.  I think I'd argue it's a major minor trophy more than a minor major one though.
Who do you think you are too decide how important trophies are? Do you think it's some kind of army rank thing and you're a major minor trophy major? I think if that's the case you're a pretty minor major minor trophy major!

For what it's worth, I consider it to be the continental equivalent of the League Cup.

Yes, Europa League is the FA Cup (sadly!) and the Champions League is, well, the league.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4363 on: September 20, 2023, 01:26:05 PM »

Didn't realise there was a definition.  Even so, if the majority of people (outside of Villa and West Ham fans) don't think it is then it doesn't matter what you believe is fact or not.

Well, it just is. Lots of Man City fans don't think the FA Cup is a major trophy either.

Yeah but they're a bunch of feckless twats.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4364 on: September 20, 2023, 01:26:10 PM »

Look at how many Arsenal fans were on their way home whilst their team were lifting the FA Cup after beating us?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal