collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:37:50 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:31:51 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:26:11 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by AV84
[April 30, 2024, 11:56:01 PM]

NSWE Investment by luke95
[April 30, 2024, 11:17:05 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[April 30, 2024, 10:41:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[April 30, 2024, 10:28:40 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KRS
[April 30, 2024, 09:53:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 372809 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Europe
« Reply #1740 on: May 28, 2023, 10:19:50 AM »
I have absolutely zero excitement about this. Yes it’s progress, but it could well be at the detriment of our next season. Perhaps I’m tainted from the O’Neill days of surrender “to concentrate on the league”. But I can’t see the real benefits unless we play the second stringers. I’d rather we finished in the top 6 next season and/or win a domestic trophy. This just seems like a whole lot of extra hoops to jump through to get the Europa.

Following Villa in Europe is absolutely brilliant and worthy of being excited about. Small followings, big followings, random places, it's always a great craic. It's worthy of being excited about after 13 years and I think we'll have a crack at winning it.

Point of order - craic isn't a countable noun.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1741 on: May 28, 2023, 10:32:17 AM »
Noted. So I could have less craic, but not fewer craics.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #1742 on: May 28, 2023, 10:34:58 AM »
Yes, good lad.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #1743 on: May 28, 2023, 10:58:31 AM »
I've never been to a European away game so would love the chance. I expect it would be virtually impossible to get tickets for non season ticket holders though.

Just go because you never know what you can pick up while there.

I've picked up a few things in Europen cities in the past...

Is that why they’re golden now?

Swollenballs

Offline wince

« Reply #1744 on: May 28, 2023, 01:42:05 PM »
Not that much of it on here but few villa fans I know berating the conference league as small time and irrelevant. However it has been so long since we were in Europe, we should take every chance to get there. If we don’t we will still have the fire in our bellies next season. I have been as negative as any this season but we have had a fantastic season. We are so used to it falling down around us we are nervous when we succeed lest it is another false dawn.
Remember the story from the Simpsons when Homer wanted to see Mr T. He said he would go later and when he got to the mall Mr T had gone….
We have come a long way this season and we have a villa to make us happy. Imagine back in 2016 if we were told we would be 8th and in with a chance of Europe. Only once has putting it off til next season helped us, that was when we didn’t go up in 2018 when shoe express was in charge.
So come on Villa, do us proud and if it doesn’t happen, we’ll next season is gonna be epic

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1745 on: May 28, 2023, 02:42:27 PM »
Not knowing much about this conference competition ,  why was it set up and why does 7th place not just go into the europa cup. Ive just not followed the format , do the winners go into Europa ?

Do the shit Europa teams go into it at a later date?

Anyway Im still excited .

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1746 on: May 28, 2023, 02:45:57 PM »
Not knowing much about this conference competition ,  why was it set up and why does 7th place not just go into the europa cup. Ive just not followed the format , do the winners go into Europa ?

The point is for the smaller European clubs not to get lost (and battered) in the bigger European competitions. It gives a more realistic goal to achieve for the Estonian champions. It's not really made for prem teams but I will be more than happy to be involved, we should be able to win it.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1747 on: May 28, 2023, 02:46:06 PM »
Surprised Max Stokes and his mate were saying this is our biggest game for decades on the podcast they do.

There's no way in my mind this is bigger than 2019 play offs or last day at West Ham in 2020.

Lose on that day and we don't just lose Grealish but Mings and probably McGinn and Martinez would never have joined a championship club so we'd have had to rebuild back in championship with a completely different group and who knows how long it would've taken to get promoted again.

If we miss out today it's disappointing but need to look at the last three months and see we're a proper top level unit now back to front so no reason why we can't start next season very well and see where that takes us.

In 12 months time it wouldn't shock me if we've already qualified for europe by final game.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #1748 on: May 28, 2023, 03:07:24 PM »
Yeah, pods and "content providers" need to big-up the latest event hence a bit of hyperbolix about today's game.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1749 on: May 28, 2023, 03:09:49 PM »
Agreed SHQ, there is no way this is bigger than either of those two, or than the FA or even League Cup finals.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1750 on: May 28, 2023, 03:20:56 PM »
Vitoria Guimarăes have qualified for the Conference League finishing 6th (1 point behind 5th) so will go into the early round of the competition, first game scheduled for July 27th. If they get through and we qualify, can we play them having the same owners?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1751 on: May 28, 2023, 03:45:28 PM »

The point is for the smaller European clubs not to get lost (and battered) in the bigger European competitions. It gives a more realistic goal to achieve for the Estonian champions. It's not really made for prem teams but I will be more than happy to be involved, we should be able to win it.

Yep it helps spread the earnings a bit. The money smaller teams can earn is pretty significant.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1752 on: May 28, 2023, 03:46:55 PM »
Yeah, pods and "content providers" need to big-up the latest event hence a bit of hyperbolix about today's game.

Not that surprising when their name includes Max and Stokes.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1753 on: May 28, 2023, 04:03:47 PM »
Vitoria Guimarăes have qualified for the Conference League finishing 6th (1 point behind 5th) so will go into the early round of the competition, first game scheduled for July 27th. If they get through and we qualify, can we play them having the same owners?

We only own 45% of them, suspect that'll make a difference.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1754 on: May 28, 2023, 04:10:32 PM »

We only own 45% of them, suspect that'll make a difference.

Gotcha! An away day there would be ace. I love Guimarăes, one of my favourite places in Portugal. I'd seriously consider moving up there in a few years time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal