collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:03:28 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 10:03:17 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:44:04 AM]

NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:29:01 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:10:10 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by VillaTim
[Today at 09:08:48 AM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 08:12:59 AM]

8 years ago today - Apr 30, 2016 by sid1964
[Today at 07:58:23 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:03:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 10:03:17 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 09:56:51 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 09:51:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 09:48:43 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:44:04 AM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by frankmosswasmyuncle
[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 372957 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Europe
« Reply #1425 on: May 19, 2023, 12:41:21 PM »
My boss is a West Ham fan and he is cock-a-hoop this morning, and he said all their fans are, that they have made the conference final.  I think it would still be a brilliant springboard for us to re-enter European competition, so I'm all for it if that's where we end up.

I still find it hard to reconcile some Villa fans not wanting what West Ham have had the last 3 years in terms of Europe.

Absolutely. Two great runs they've had.

Agreed. Would love any form of European football.

Something different than playing the same old twats week in week out in the Premier League

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1426 on: May 19, 2023, 12:47:41 PM »
My boss is a West Ham fan and he is cock-a-hoop this morning, and he said all their fans are, that they have made the conference final.  I think it would still be a brilliant springboard for us to re-enter European competition, so I'm all for it if that's where we end up.

Interesting debate on the radio last night asking who would have had the better season if West Ham win the Conference League and Brighton (didn't mention us) finish 6th.  It was split really, as both would have qualified for the Europa League, but West Ham would have won a trophy (albeit a less prestigious one) whereas Brighton would have qualified through having a far better league season.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1427 on: May 19, 2023, 01:01:26 PM »
I hope they win it. They've respected the competition all the way through despite their league position. I'll expect us to do the same.

That's a fair shout. I don't like West Ham but they are a proper club and it will mean a lot to them, which is how it should be.

That's all very fair, and reasonable - unless they lose to Leeds at the weekend, of course.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1428 on: May 19, 2023, 01:21:18 PM »
My (Spurs) brother in law reckons that if City or Spam win their finals it creates extra places for English teams next year.
He's talking shite, right?

Yes.

As far as West Ham are concerned, it is sort of right, as it will mean we will have 8 teams in Europe rather than 7, but it only benefits West Ham.  And given he is a Spurs fan, then yes, he must be talking shite!

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1429 on: May 19, 2023, 01:26:52 PM »

Interesting debate on the radio last night asking who would have had the better season if West Ham win the Conference League and Brighton (didn't mention us) finish 6th.  It was split really, as both would have qualified for the Europa League, but West Ham would have won a trophy (albeit a less prestigious one) whereas Brighton would have qualified through having a far better league season.

West Ham.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1430 on: May 19, 2023, 01:30:02 PM »
A season in which you win a trophy is always going to be more memorable.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1431 on: May 19, 2023, 01:35:03 PM »
I much prefer 94 and 96 over 93. There's a silver reason for it. If they win it, I'd take West Ham's season over Arsenal's and Newcastle's, let alone Brighton's.

When we think about 82, we're not getting depressed about finishing 11th.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1432 on: May 19, 2023, 03:39:56 PM »
I was ambivalent about making it into this European tournament but then I remember winning the Inter-Toto cup against Basel 5-2 at Villa Park in 2001.  Actually, that's not strictly true.  I remember winning it at Villa Park but forgot the score, scorers (I know Hadji got one or two) and I'd forgotten the opposition. Even so, this Europa cup lite tournament is a recognized tournament and if we are to be in it, let's give it a go.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1433 on: May 19, 2023, 08:18:22 PM »
I do think much of the snobbishness around the Conference League is the fact that we've had "the Conference" here in England for many years, and for many football fans it's a word associated with lower-level, non-league football.

The old third European competition (the Cup Winner's Cup) was always worth winning in my eyes, and I feel the same about the Conference League.

If it wasn't called 'conference' I imagine more English fans would feel positive about it.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1434 on: May 19, 2023, 08:28:50 PM »
I do think much of the snobbishness around the Conference League is the fact that we've had "the Conference" here in England for many years, and for many football fans it's a word associated with lower-level, non-league football.

The old third European competition (the Cup Winner's Cup) was always worth winning in my eyes, and I feel the same about the Conference League.

If it wasn't called 'conference' I imagine more English fans would feel positive about it.
I agree - its like calling in "The minnows" - it needs a better name

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1435 on: May 20, 2023, 12:39:42 AM »

I think you're on to something here. When we get in it I'm hoping it will be changed to the 'European Absolute Legends League'.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1436 on: May 20, 2023, 12:48:07 AM »

I think you're on to something here. When we get in it I'm hoping it will be changed to the 'European Absolute Legends League'.

That sounds a bit pedestrian from here. How about the 'Confederacy of Cool Mad European Disco Dream Lads'?

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #1437 on: May 20, 2023, 12:49:07 AM »

This is exactly what is it.

Champions League
UEFA Cup
Continental Cup

Something like that. The rebrand of the UEFA Cup was a shit idea as well.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1438 on: May 20, 2023, 01:02:45 AM »

That sounds a bit pedestrian from here. How about the 'Confederacy of Cool Mad European Disco Dream Lads'?

Yeah... that's definitely better. Very 'Bob Mortimer'.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1439 on: May 20, 2023, 06:45:45 AM »
I was ambivalent about making it into this European tournament but then I remember winning the Inter-Toto cup against Basel 5-2 at Villa Park in 2001.  Actually, that's not strictly true.  I remember winning it at Villa Park but forgot the score, scorers (I know Hadji got one or two) and I'd forgotten the opposition. Even so, this Europa cup lite tournament is a recognized tournament and if we are to be in it, let's give it a go.

Vassell, Angel (2), Ginola were our scorers. It was a good night, big crowd and comfortable win against a club who were CL regulars not long afterwards. The subsequent first round exit to Varteks is on a par with Helsingborg for our worst European result.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal