collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Fan Voted Player of the Year by eamonn
[Today at 11:42:28 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by ASHTONVILLA
[Today at 11:37:05 PM]

NSWE Investment by luke95
[Today at 11:17:05 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by garyellis
[Today at 10:55:43 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:41:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:28:40 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KRS
[Today at 09:53:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:21 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by eamonn
[Today at 11:42:28 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by ASHTONVILLA
[Today at 11:37:05 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by luke95
[Today at 11:17:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by garyellis
[Today at 10:55:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:53:46 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:51:17 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:50:00 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:45:16 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 372761 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Europe
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2023, 07:39:32 AM »
I haven't seen anyone on here saying they don't want European football. Just one or two (me included) who thinks next season might be a a bit too soon.

It’s never too soon.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2023, 07:39:53 AM »
I for one thought we voted to leave.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2023, 08:09:06 AM »
I for one thought we voted to leave.

Exactly, and I look forward to us qualifying for the English Super Cup in the future

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2023, 08:19:30 AM »
I think it is a bit too soon for Europe given the lack of depth for our squad.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2023, 09:04:48 AM »

We’re supposed to be sorting this in the summer.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2023, 10:12:36 AM »

If we are to make the Leyland Daf European equivalent then no better a stage to blood the likes of Archer, Iroegbunam, Bidace and other peripheral players into first team football. It might be a hindrance competition but it can be a benefit too. If the squad grows with more quality then some pruning will certainly need to be done.   

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2023, 10:16:50 AM »

Indeed.

I don't get it. Compare the wailing when we bailed out of the cups half-arsedly with the seeming lowering of the ambition bar already re competing in Europe. It sounds like pre-emptively making excuses for mediocrity to me.

It's a loop of failure:

don't strengthen in January = "we'll get the players in the summer" / "we only want the best" / "we'll 'be fine till the end of the season" (whatever 'fine' means)

playing in Europe next year = "we won't have the squad to compete on so many fronts" / "it'll be too soon for us" / "we'll struggle like West Ham did"

It really is always next year / next window with Villa and it has been for years now, with the difference that now the fans are making the excuses rather than the club.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2023, 10:29:30 AM »
We can't compete with the Fulhams and Brightons of this world and should just be thankful that we aren't in division 2 anymore.  This is, after all, a 10 year plan to consolidate (for ever).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2023, 10:55:26 AM »

Indeed.

I don't get it. Compare the wailing when we bailed out of the cups half-arsedly with the seeming lowering of the ambition bar already re competing in Europe. It sounds like pre-emptively making excuses for mediocrity to me.

It's a loop of failure:

don't strengthen in January = "we'll get the players in the summer" / "we only want the best" / "we'll 'be fine till the end of the season" (whatever 'fine' means)

playing in Europe next year = "we won't have the squad to compete on so many fronts" / "it'll be too soon for us" / "we'll struggle like West Ham did"

It really is always next year / next window with Villa and it has been for years now, with the difference that now the fans are making the excuses rather than the club.

Exactly. Let's just paddle about in 11th, anything else is getting ideas above our station.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »
Yet there's absolutely nobody saying that at all.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2023, 11:05:13 AM »
Football is about the here and now - you have to take the chances when they come, as you never know what might change to prevent the opportunity ever happening again.

Look at Newcastle - basket case for years, but in 12 months they are likely to secure a European spot - West Ham, total opposite, Europe to relegation candidates in a season.

If there is a slim chance you have to go all out to qualify, in the same way we should be aiming to win both domestic cup competitions.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2023, 11:08:01 AM »
Football is about the here and now - you have to take the chances when they come, as you never know what might change to prevent the opportunity ever happening again.

Look at Newcastle - basket case for years, but in 12 months they are likely to secure a European spot - West Ham, total opposite, Europe to relegation candidates in a season.

If there is a slim chance you have to go all out to qualify, in the same way we should be aiming to win both domestic cup competitions.

I don't think Newcastle are going to make Europe.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
How can qualifying for European competition ever come "too soon"?  I really don't get that.

If we did make it into the Europa Cheerios Wonder League or whatever the fuck they're calling it these days, we'd have a whole summer to strengthen accordingly.

And if you want to attract the sort of players we do, any kind of European participation is a big bonus.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2023, 11:12:39 AM »

I don't think Newcastle are going to make Europe.

True, they seem to be following a similar trajectory to what we had in the lockdown season.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2023, 11:14:17 AM »
How can qualifying for European competition ever come "too soon"?  I really don't get that.

If we did make it into the Europa Cheerios Wonder League or whatever the fuck they're calling it these days, we'd have a whole summer to strengthen accordingly.

And if you want to attract the sort of players we do, any kind of European participation is a big bonus.

And in our context it would be proof of progress and underline the ambitions we're touting to recruit better players

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal