collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playing it out from the back  (Read 4880 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Playing it out from the back
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2023, 03:21:07 PM »
It is a confidence thing

Confidence within the players to be able to actually concentrate and pass effectively and more importantly be patient and wait for the right openings

Confidence and patience with supporters to accept what we are trying to do and be supportive of the players playing this way.

In either cases results build that confidence. There are going to be bumps along the way, even the best at it (Edison, Allison, Rodri etc) balls up sometimes when pressed.

But there have been a few times recently when we have been patient, drawn the opposition into a press then passed our way out of defence to attack with devastating effect - it really is a joy to watch.

As many have alluded to previously we finally have a footballing identity and i am so excited by the thought of what even better players will add to the team

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2023, 04:52:11 PM »
I do get nervous sometimes when we play out from the back but I trust Emery's vision it will all come good in the end.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2023, 06:25:41 PM »
It's all about control. As soon as you launch a 50/50 up-field you're giving up on control. At times that's ok, especially if you're really good at squeezing up on a team in that transition, but you can never be sure when and where you'll be getting the ball back. If you have it and moving it around in your defence it's much easier to execute training grounds routines, etc because you have far fewer variables out of your control.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2023, 07:07:33 PM »
I do get nervous sometimes when we play out from the back but I trust Emery's vision it will all come good in the end.
Thats where I’m at, I almost Shit my knickers, but it definitely seems to be improving.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2023, 07:44:42 PM »
It's all about control. As soon as you launch a 50/50 up-field you're giving up on control. At times that's ok, especially if you're really good at squeezing up on a team in that transition, but you can never be sure when and where you'll be getting the ball back. If you have it and moving it around in your defence it's much easier to execute training grounds routines, etc because you have far fewer variables out of your control.

To be honest we lose control just as many times playing out from the back
Problem is when you lose it in your own third it can create problems and let’s face it has done

However, I am all in favour of playing out from the back its the way forward. Players will just have to get better get used to it or be replaced
I can tell you now Konsa will never be able to play it out from the back very well it just isn’t going to happen. He hasn’t got the skill set. It’s a simple as that

But That’s the formula we are playing and need to keep playing so that when certain players are replaced new players just fit into that system

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2023, 09:23:26 PM »

To be honest we lose control just as many times playing out from the back
Problem is when you lose it in your own third it can create problems and let’s face it has done

However, I am all in favour of playing out from the back its the way forward. Players will just have to get better get used to it or be replaced
I can tell you now Konsa will never be able to play it out from the back very well it just isn’t going to happen. He hasn’t got the skill set. It’s a simple as that

But That’s the formula we are playing and need to keep playing so that when certain players are replaced new players just fit into that system

Yes but we will get better at it, that's the point really. We as fans need to get used to it because Emery wants this control and will keep working until it is natural for us.

I sort of agree on Konsa but I will say he's been improving recently and looks a lot more like the player he was 2 years ago now.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2023, 09:30:39 PM »
Is there data that shows goals conceded or scored as a result of playing this way? My memory can’t recall anything positive or negative. Even so, you have more chance of doing something positive with the ball than without even if it’s in your own box.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2023, 09:47:04 PM »
Two goals for, three against from memory. Not sure how many we’ve conceded from lumping it and losing possession.

Has anyone noticed if we’ve got any better at keeping possession from throw-ins? We’ve been shit at them for years.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2023, 09:58:34 PM »
Two goals for, three against from memory. Not sure how many we’ve conceded from lumping it and losing possession.

Has anyone noticed if we’ve got any better at keeping possession from throw-ins? We’ve been shit at them for years.

Yes, fucking long overdue

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2023, 12:04:09 AM »

Yes, fucking long overdue

I have noticed with my trained (third) eye that more players are available for throw ins in Unai's New Way. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal