collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playing it out from the back  (Read 4981 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Playing it out from the back
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2023, 01:35:59 PM »
Easier back then though when the keeper could pick it up if required.

I was just going to say that.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2023, 01:39:52 PM »
Easier back then though when the keeper could pick it up if required.

I was just going to say that.

Yeah, that's why the rule was changed

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2023, 09:26:05 AM »
Mings said

The manager is very much: ‘I’m not expecting this to be perfect in one month, two months, six months, maybe even 12 months but we will get it right and we’ll keep sticking to what we believe.’ When a manager sets out his long-term roadmap it smooths out any bumps along the road.”

Offline Astnor

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2023, 09:41:00 AM »
Mings said

The manager is very much: ‘I’m not expecting this to be perfect in one month, two months, six months, maybe even 12 months but we will get it right and we’ll keep sticking to what we believe.’ When a manager sets out his long-term roadmap it smooths out any bumps along the road.”
Very interesting and encouraging IMO. Will be interesting to see today how we manage to play out from the back against Arse as they did press high and intense against City in periods and did make trouble for them playing out from the back.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2023, 10:20:48 AM »
I don’t watch much other football, but I did catch a bit of the Arsenal v Man City game during the week (whilst cooking dinner, so it didn’t have my full attention). I don’t think it was how they conceded goals, but I noticed Ramsdale passing out to players on the edge of the box with several opposition players around them. Very similar to the situation that Kamara received the ball against Leicester. It’s clearly a tactic to create space on the wings, but relies on good execution. Sometimes the pass doesn’t look like it’s on, but I suppose top level players back themselves in those situations, and ultimately football at the highest level is all about fine margins.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2023, 10:36:06 AM »
When claiming a ball with his hands from a set piece, Ramsdale looks to distribute the ball early whenever he can, from whatever I've seen. Sometimes I wish Martinez would do the same, but I think there is a lack of options and movements. As you can see, Emi sometimes looks frustrated, as if he wants to set the ball rolling—literally!

For Argentina, he was able to do so very effectively, so it's in part due to his teammates getting into spaces for him.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 10:37:53 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2023, 10:06:07 AM »
When claiming a ball with his hands from a set piece, Ramsdale looks to distribute the ball early whenever he can, from whatever I've seen. Sometimes I wish Martinez would do the same, but I think there is a lack of options and movements. As you can see, Emi sometimes looks frustrated, as if he wants to set the ball rolling—literally!

For Argentina, he was able to do so very effectively, so it's in part due to his teammates getting into spaces for him.
He used to look for a quick out ball a lot more frequently, especially to the fullbacks. That seems to have stopped since Emery came in. 

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2023, 01:23:09 PM »
I'm not going to talk on Martinez for a 14 days because it bothers me that he disobeyed instructions.
I await to see next home game against Palace his performances, behaviour and reception from the crowd before I debate anymore on him
But on Emi yesterday about throwing out, he did look around again and seemed exasperated that there was no other option.

He made an excellent claim from the corner with both hands, caught the ball sweetly, and then looked to play out to launch an attack. All of the players were simply jogging away from him.

I also credit so well he initiated the second goal.
For all his stupidty he giving credit for his role in playing out from the back and making a goal.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2023, 01:25:46 PM »
I'm not going to talk on Martinez for a 14 days because it bothers me that he disobeyed instructions.
I await to see next home game against Palace his performances, behaviour and reception from the crowd before I debate anymore on him
But on Emi yesterday about throwing out, he did look around again and seemed exasperated that there was no other option.

He made an excellent claim from the corner with both hands, caught the ball sweetly, and then looked to play out to launch an attack. All of the players were simply jogging away from him.

For all his stupidty he giving credit for his role in playing out from the back and making a goal.

In the same post you say you’re not talking about Martinez for 14 days but then go on to refer to his ‘stupidity’.

14 days? 14 words more like.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2023, 03:32:14 PM »

In the same post you say you’re not talking about Martinez for 14 days but then go on to refer to his ‘stupidity’.

14 days? 14 words more like.
Meaning to say Martinez thread and him.
I also rightfully credit him in playing out from back and observed yet again that no players available to him when he's caught the ball . He was also very good in starting the second goal and played it out from the back with much success on that occasion.
This thread is about playing out from the back so was chiefly discussing this.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 03:34:37 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2023, 03:45:57 PM »
Martinez recycled the ball well only twice yesterday that I can recall: the one was for the 2nd goal, the other for Bailey who went on to hit the bar. That is pretty piss-poor and begs the question why.
In my view, there are two main reasons - (i) lack of effective wide players (Saka-Trossard; Grealish-Mahrez; Barnes-Tete) who can hold, run and defend in equal measure; (ii) the CB and midfielders are perhaps not alert enough to the necessary speed of thought and action.
Maybe a 3rd issue is Martinez not being alert enough to the need to recycle the ball quickly.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2023, 06:40:18 PM »
David Raya of Brentford Spainish goalkeeper execpectional with his feet and passing. Now he has turned down a new contract not once but twice with Brentford. Can certainly see him being pursued by Emery in the summer. 27 years old and pushing to be Spanish number one.
Perfect fit.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2023, 06:44:43 PM »
David Raya of Brentford Spainish goalkeeper execpectional with his feet and passing. Now he has turned down a new contract not once but twice with Brentford. Can certainly see him being pursued by Emery in the summer. 27 years old and pushing to be Spanish number one.
Perfect fit.
I think they'll be several clubs after him

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2023, 02:13:15 PM »
Emery on playing out from the back:

"You have to take risks in football. I am trying to keep possession of the
ball. When we have the ball with the goalkeeper, we are starting our build-up. If he is kicking the ball long, some we will win and some we will lose. I prefer to try to keep the ball ourselves.

The best teams play like this. I always try it with my teams. When I started with Lorca, that was my philosophy 20 years ago. Try to keep possession. If we have the ball, I feel better than being without the ball. My idea is to convince the players with results."

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2023, 02:49:28 PM »
Cheers Footy.

I think the problem with errors playing out from defence is that they just look so stupid, whereas just getting rid, time after time, and eventually (and inevitably) inviting the pressure that leads to conceding is, as it were, a hidden blunder.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal