collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by JD
[Today at 05:32:46 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:32:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:27:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playing it out from the back  (Read 4876 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Playing it out from the back
« on: February 06, 2023, 01:13:53 PM »
Thought this topic deserves a thread on it's own as it is a controversial aspect of the way Emery wants to play.

Here he is doubling down on the strategy:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-unai-emery-problem-26164219

Emery does suggest a hybrid style of play but we will continue to play it out from the back. A disappointing aspect of Saturday's defeat was Kamara, who I suppose we had held up as "the model" of how we wanted Villa to play getting caught out in this more than once on Saturday.

Thoughts/worries/criticisms/suggestions?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Playing it out from the back
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 01:36:47 PM »
Trying to play a more expansive game is obviously a noble aim, but so far the short goal kicks have contributed to both cup exits and at least another couple of goals conceded. I just don't think we have the players to do it consistently well, espeically when it goes out to Mings or Konsa. I think at least we need to mix it up a bit, because once Leicester had worked out that's what we were going to attempt every time, their press really made it ineffective. And if we're as bad at it next week against Man City, it's not going to be a pretty scoreline.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 01:39:12 PM »
I am amazed it took so long for us to get caught out doing it again, having had god knows how many heart-in-mouth moments in recent games where we've just got away with it.

Problem is not the tactic, it's that our defenders (and yes, I know it was Kamara on this occasion) are not technically strong enough to do it well.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 01:45:38 PM »
I think it's a failing of our midfield that if, after knocking it about a bit at the back, we have no options on and Mings has to pump it upfield. I'd expect Luiz, Buendia, Ramsay or whoever to become an option but it only ever seems to be Kamara available for a pass from defence.

We have played some really nice stuff in recent games, if we can grow that to become a team that is consistently dangerous with the ball, it will have been worth the pain.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 01:56:00 PM »
I am in the camp which is that we should play out from the back and I don't think anyone is saying lets just hoof the ball at every opportunity.

The one thing that I would say in response to a perfectly valid view as to whether we have the players to do so is, should it be that hard to do? We are talking about premier league players, is it too hard to get them to able to side step an attacker who isint the best tackler and is just basically rushing right at a defender?

Are other players really working hard enough to get themselves into space so that when someone like Konsa for example has the ball he has at least 2 options that he can quickly make a straight forward pass? Because if we are saying that Our defenders cannot make a simple pass then something is seriously wrong.

So for me similar to how we should defend as a team and attack as a team, I think what Emery is saying is that as a whole unit we need to become better at bringing the ball out from the back.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2023, 02:08:00 PM »
I was going to start a similar thread as I was amazed at many of the negative post-match comments about how Villa 'playing out from the back' has cost us all these goals. Yes, it did directly cost us a goal on Saturday and at Brighton, but the dominant possession we now have in games is also the reason we have done so well under Emery.

The three away wins in a row under Emery are based on possession football in which playing out from the back is one major factor. Normally when Villa are defending a slender away lead I'm as nervous as hell, but I just couldn't see Brighton, Spurs or Saints scoring in those games and we were very comfortable. Good possession and not constantly giving the ball away from goal kicks has made a huge positive difference to the way we play. It may prove harder initially at home with the nervous crowd and the need to be on the front foot all the time.

There are different ways to play out, you play 'round' the opposition team through the split centre halve, 'into' the CDM's dropping in, 'onto' the wide and high fullbacks and 'over' using the quick release of the keeper to pacy forwards. At the moment its impossible to successfully execute all these options with the players available.  I've actually been very surprised at how quickly our players have adapted to these patterns of play under Emery. The 'playing out' and 'through the thirds' possession-based football at Southampton away was a joy to watch. Remember these are exactly the same players (apart from Mereno) as Gerrard had. 

This will take time, but so far for every negative, the positives are in my opinion so much greater. I can't wait to see Villa develop under Emery when he gets more time with the squad and his players after the Summer transfer window..

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 02:25:58 PM »
I was going to start a similar thread as I was amazed at many of the negative post-match comments about how Villa 'playing out from the back' has cost us all these goals. Yes, it did directly cost us a goal on Saturday and at Brighton, but the dominant possession we now have in games is also the reason we have done so well under Emery.

It's this in a nutshell.  It may seem risky at times, but it's what has got us the reults to date that most people are pretty happy with.

Hopefully we'll get better at it and Emery will adapt it, as clearly managers are going to target this part of our game.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 02:29:09 PM »
We haven't been playing that well though, and it was only a matter of time before it bit us on the arse.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 02:35:08 PM »
The points total would suggest other Risso.

Offline Risso

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 02:37:59 PM »
The points total would suggest other Risso.

Only if you're unable to get your head round the concept of gaining points despite not playing well, like the Leeds game which we were second best at.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 02:48:07 PM »
We haven't been playing that well though, and it was only a matter of time before it bit us on the arse.

To be fair though, you could say that about any team, they are all going to lose at some point. On Saturday it was about individual errors rather than style of play. Kamara cost us two goals, one pissing about on the penalty spot the other approaching the half-way line. Moreno wafting his foot in the air like a feather duster and Mings/Digne/Midfield not tracking an attacker.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 03:00:57 PM »
Leicester had sussed that we're not very adept at this part of the game yet and they worked us to their benefit.  I don't mind it if the opposition don't have terriers darting at us as soon as we start.  That being the case I'd prefer us to mix it a bit, if for nothing else than to confuse the opposition.  Stick with it but vary it is the way forward. Our main problem was our casual approach and that led to the mistakes.

Offline Risso

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 03:03:54 PM »

To be fair though, you could say that about any team, they are all going to lose at some point. On Saturday it was about individual errors rather than style of play. Kamara cost us two goals, one pissing about on the penalty spot the other approaching the half-way line. Moreno wafting his foot in the air like a feather duster and Mings/Digne/Midfield not tracking an attacker.

Yes to be fair the all round performance was better, but it was against Leicester who have been struggling all season. We've now got Man City and Arsenal, two games from which I think we'll score none and concede at least 5 or 6 in total.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 03:04:38 PM »
Personally, i'd sooner see us bring in the 2023 version of John Fashanu and Vinny Jones and just lump the fucker forward into the box all game and kick the opposition at every opportunity than watch us fanny about with it like that in our half. Av it !

Seriously though, i want Emery to play to the current players strengths or buy in the exact players he needs to play his way and get results playing decent football. If the players we have can't do what he wants them to for the rest of the season he shouldn't try it. Leicesters first goal was one of the most embarrassing i've seen us give away, we looked a right bunch of chumps. He has of course got a hell of a lot right so far though.

Offline steamer

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 04:22:53 PM »
The Stevenage one was not very good either

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal