collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread  (Read 27353 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 06, 2023, 08:02:11 PM »
If Martinez thinks it's a good idea to pass the ball out to a guy with his back to 3 opposition players at the edge of our box then I'd rather he went back to basics and hoofed it down the pitch.
It doesn't even need to be a hoof. If there are two or three Leicester players closing Kamara down then there must be at least one player unmarked. Usually in the wide midfield areas.

Even so, Kamara could've took a touch and played it back, or played it to Mings, or even just fucked it up the pitch.
I've watched it back a couple of times today and  it's a utter shitshow, including Konsa going to the shops for Maddison at the end.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #361 on: February 06, 2023, 09:11:35 PM »
We've spent so much money on full backs, and none of them are that good.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #362 on: February 06, 2023, 10:36:21 PM »
If Martinez thinks it's a good idea to pass the ball out to a guy with his back to 3 opposition players at the edge of our box then I'd rather he went back to basics and hoofed it down the pitch.
It doesn't even need to be a hoof. If there are two or three Leicester players closing Kamara down then there must be at least one player unmarked. Usually in the wide midfield areas.
I watched the replay again today from motd. After the goal you can clearly see Konsa go to Emi and question him. He gestured to where Kamara recieved the ball and appeared to say "what's the point" It's done now but we have got to learn from that. It was a ridiculous way to lose a game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 09:53:58 AM by The Edge »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #363 on: February 06, 2023, 10:39:59 PM »
As the man said, failure isn't an option this time because if this owner/manager combination doesn't work, what else is there?

That's a concern for me.

This feels a bit like Everton/Ancelotti to me. I think he'll be in it for the long haul here but who knows what would happen if one of the Madrid clubs seriously want him as manager.

That said if he establishes us in europe for 2-3 years you'd like to think we'd have enough about us to tempt another on his level rather than just an uproven project manager. Perhaps Pochettino or Tuchel would actually return our calls this time.

Isn't he from the Basque region? If so I expect the chances of either Madrid tempting him would be zero. Barca, maybe. I suspect they will want higher profile than Emery or "one of their own" currently. So, if he gets the call from there in 3 or 4 years time we will have been on one helluva ride.

Lopetegui is Basque. He agreed to join Real Madrid just before 2018 world cup but forgot to tell Spanish FA who sacked him on the spot.

Barca also had Ernesto Valverde for years, he's managed Bilbao a few times so could be from those parts.

I think Unai's record is certainly good enough to see him in contention for one of those jobs but you'd like to think he's the sort that likes building clubs which he did very well at Sevilla and Villareal so he's in for next 18 months I'm sure.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #364 on: February 06, 2023, 10:42:54 PM »

Cash just looks more and more like he's not good enough.

It's pretty damning that we've spent 27m on one of them, got a Polish international for another, just spent 15m for one more and our most convincing full back is 82 year old Ashley Young.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #365 on: February 06, 2023, 10:45:54 PM »
Cash did fine first season, how many clean sheets did we keep and he played good number of those games.

He's probably like Konsa now. We got a couple of good years out of him and he's reached his level at premier league and probably not a good fit for a manager who'll require more technical excellence at the back rather than huff and puff.

Was going to say we'll sell but he signed a new long term deal just last summer so can't see anyone realistically affording him of clubs it's realistic for him to play for.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2023, 10:47:19 PM »

I watched the replay again today from motd. After the goal you can clearly see Konsa go to Emi and question him. He pointed to where Kamara recieved the ball and appeared to say "what's the point" It's done now but we have got to learn from that. It was a ridiculous way to lose a game.

Another frustrating aspect was that even after the initial half challenge by the Leicester player Kamara still had a chance to pass or clear it to the left but dallied again and was then dispossessed.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2023, 10:47:46 PM »
I reckon he's prime Everton material.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #368 on: February 07, 2023, 01:21:46 AM »

It's pretty damning that we've spent 27m on one of them, got a Polish international for another, just spent 15m for one more and our most convincing full back is 82 year old Ashley Young.
Dan Bardell was saying on the Villa View podcast that Emery was demonstrably losing his shit on the sidelines about a couple of things Cash did during the game on Saturday. It suggests that he's not convinced that Cash can follow his instructions.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #369 on: February 07, 2023, 09:07:04 AM »

Dan Bardell was saying on the Villa View podcast that Emery was demonstrably losing his shit on the sidelines about a couple of things Cash did during the game on Saturday. It suggests that he's not convinced that Cash can follow his instructions.

He must have been apoplectic watching Kamara and Mings then.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #370 on: February 07, 2023, 09:28:49 AM »

He must have been apoplectic watching Kamara and Mings then.

I don't think Mings will be here beyond this summer, mate.

We'll never be challenging at the top end of the table with him and Konsa at the back. They're not very dependable.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #371 on: February 07, 2023, 09:32:14 AM »
I agree.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #372 on: February 07, 2023, 09:36:23 AM »
Mings has 12 months on his contract I think, so a summer move would seem likely.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #373 on: February 07, 2023, 09:49:34 AM »
Better make sure we've got a replacement lined up then. Mings' organisation at the back is so easy to understate.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #374 on: February 07, 2023, 09:53:25 AM »
We don't look very organised at the back to me, so I don't think replacing Tyrone will be that much of a problem.

It may be well one of those, 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone' type scenarios, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal