collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread  (Read 27358 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2023, 07:36:27 AM »
As the man said, failure isn't an option this time because if this owner/manager combination doesn't work, what else is there?

Years and years of mid-table obscurity, probably. Which is obviously a big improvement on the position when they took over, but once the memory of that starts to dim somewhat, it's not going to fill a 50,000 seat stadium.
I was discussing this some years ago on a long flight with a sports journalist who said that every PL club other than the elite ones at some point ends up in a relegation fight and faces the possibility to get relegated.
So unless we embed ourselves at that end of the table , which requires smart and constant investment at some point we will be down there fighting it out again.
This pattern gets repeated, Wolves had their time in the sun and have been down there and maybe now recovering again, there is no way Brentford will sustain where they are above a couple of seasons etc etc. Brighton are the new Southampton.
So have our owners made that decision to make us an elite club? Newcastle obviously have.
The investment in the new stand and manager  indicates they have, the investment on the pitch is a little less confirmative.
This is a long way of saying its very difficult to tread water for long, we are either on the way up or down unless we decide to join those that expect to compete every season.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:11:27 AM by ChicagoLion »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2023, 09:10:34 AM »
As the man said, failure isn't an option this time because if this owner/manager combination doesn't work, what else is there?

We go again?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #332 on: February 06, 2023, 09:15:49 AM »
Looking at a tactics thread on Twitter, there is a fine example of Brighton's centre halves playing a quicker ball (they play slow as a default to draw the opposition on). Dunk knocks a first time pass some 40 yards on the deck into midfield and they spin and break beyond. That's why you play out from the back and I think that's why Carlos, when fit, will be instrumental to improving that ability to build.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #333 on: February 06, 2023, 09:21:22 AM »
Mings, Konza, Luiz are just not good enough if we are going to challenge for european football next season, hopefully next we will have far better in those positions and they will be on the subs bench.

We need far more quality through the middle of the team

Supposedly Mings was signing for Wolves for £30 million until the Carlos injury scuppered those plans, Mr. Gerrard very nearly got him out of the club.

Luiz does need to get a bit spikier in the challenge, a half stone of extra muscle wouldn't go astray over the summer, but he is a fine footballer. Thought he was the best midfielder by a country mile on display last Saturday. He's developing into a fine playmaker and excellent at set pieces too.

I've kind of given up on Konsa to be honest. Real pity because he looked top class maybe 18 months ago. But those days look long gone. Will be interesting to see which of them Carlos displaces considering Mings contract situation but I'd say it could be Konsa initially.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #334 on: February 06, 2023, 09:27:34 AM »
Konsa doesn't seem to engage quick enough and his distribution is poor. He's fine for mid-table, but the higher you het, the smaller the margins become and the more important minor details are. The difference between top and bottom is 1 maybe 2%, tops, but it might as well be a chasm.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2023, 09:30:28 AM »
I've only just realised their excellent left back is 20 and they signed him from Lange's old club, whilst were paying Digne god knows what. FFS.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2023, 10:01:27 AM »
I've only just realised their excellent left back is 20 and they signed him from Lange's old club, whilst were paying Digne god knows what. FFS.

Yes he did look a real find, he was excellent with and without the ball.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #337 on: February 06, 2023, 10:12:28 AM »

Years and years of mid-table obscurity, probably. Which is obviously a big improvement on the position when they took over, but once the memory of that starts to dim somewhat, it's not going to fill a 50,000 seat stadium.
I was discussing this some years ago on a long flight with a sports journalist who said that every PL club other than the elite ones at some point ends up in a relegation fight and faces the possibility to get relegated.
So unless we embed ourselves at that end of the table , which requires smart and constant investment at some point we will be down there fighting it out again.
This pattern gets repeated, Wolves had their time in the sun and have been down there and maybe now recovering again, there is no way Brentford will sustain where they are above a couple of seasons etc etc. Brighton are the new Southampton.
So have our owners made that decision to make us an elite club? Newcastle obviously have.
The investment in the new stand and manager  indicates they have, the investment on the pitch is a little less confirmative.
This is a long way of saying it’s very difficult to tread water for long,we are either on the way up or down unless we decide to join those that expect to compete every season.
Yeah - I think that's we're some of the nervousness comes from.  Since JG left the level of net investment doesn't seem to be great - and if reports are to be believed, we have been reluctant to pay what it tales to get JWP, Bissoma and this guy in the last window. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2023, 10:20:41 AM »
Mings, Konza, Luiz are just not good enough if we are going to challenge for european football next season, hopefully next we will have far better in those positions and they will be on the subs bench.

We need far more quality through the middle of the team

Supposedly Mings was signing for Wolves for £30 million until the Carlos injury scuppered those plans, Mr. Gerrard very nearly got him out of the club.
I can't believe we still have fans who think Luiz is rubbish.  He's one of our best players and certainly good enough for where we are at the moment.  There's 9 other positions that need improving before him.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #339 on: February 06, 2023, 10:29:09 AM »
Yes Luiz is excellent.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #340 on: February 06, 2023, 10:32:49 AM »
I wouldn't say he's excellent, but I do agree he's not one of the immediate concerns to be replaced. Rough order for me would be:

Bailey/Konsa/McGinn/Mings/Watkins/Cash

Online LeeB

« Reply #341 on: February 06, 2023, 10:49:16 AM »
I wouldn't say he's excellent, but I do agree he's not one of the immediate concerns to be replaced. Rough order for me would be:

Move Cash the other side of Mings and Watkins and I'd be totally with you

*And also shove Digne in there wherever, I'd swear he was Itallian as he only seems to have reverse gear
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:51:30 AM by LeeB »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #342 on: February 06, 2023, 10:53:25 AM »

Move Cash the other side of Mings and Watkins and I'd be totally with you

*And also shove Digne in there wherever, I'd swear he was Itallian as he only seems to have reverse gear

Yep, another one on the list, probably around the McGinn/Mings area.

Online LeeB

« Reply #343 on: February 06, 2023, 11:05:20 AM »

Yes he did look a real find, he was excellent with and without the ball.

I haven't watched the higlights back but I'm sure for the second goal, the only one which was not the result of us aiming directly at our own foot, he whipped Mings' clearance first time straight out to the winger to cross. The speed and accuarcy of that is why their forward was on his own at the back post to score.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2023, 11:33:04 AM »
I haven't watched the higlights back but I'm sure for the second goal, the only one which was not the result of us aiming directly at our own foot, he whipped Mings' clearance first time straight out to the winger to cross. The speed and accuarcy of that is why their forward was on his own at the back post to score.

My take on it is slightly different. I've only seen the highlights once (on MOTD2) but I was surprised that no one thought Ming was at least partially to blame for that second goal. His poor mishit clearance gave the ball straight back to Leicester in the middle of our half. Then when the (admittedly good) ball came in from their winger, he was in no man's land on the edge of our 6 yard box and Iheanacho had a free header to score.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal