collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread  (Read 27374 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread
« Reply #315 on: February 05, 2023, 09:38:26 PM »
Great post again Boozey.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #316 on: February 05, 2023, 09:40:27 PM »
I am still of the belief that the appointment of Emery is a statement of intent.
That he has been given assurances that he will be backed financially.
I am expecting a big summer and that we will have a team ready to complete for a European place.
My concern is that the Club does not have the situation regardless of finance to attract the sort of players we need to achieve this.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2023, 10:22:07 PM »
If we didn’t replace Danny Ings who was that bloke who came on for Bailey yesterday? Yes, he’s going to take time to get up to speed but if you sell one striker and sign another it’s pretty difficult to argue that he isn’t a replacement.

It's not when your manager has specifically said "he's not a replacement for Danny Ings."

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2023, 10:29:58 PM »
As the man said, failure isn't an option this time because if this owner/manager combination doesn't work, what else is there?

Offline Risso

« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2023, 10:33:21 PM »
As the man said, failure isn't an option this time because if this owner/manager combination doesn't work, what else is there?

Years and years of mid-table obscurity, probably. Which is obviously a big improvement on the position when they took over, but once the memory of that starts to dim somewhat, it's not going to fill a 50,000 seat stadium.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2023, 11:02:57 PM »
If we didn’t replace Danny Ings who was that bloke who came on for Bailey yesterday? Yes, he’s going to take time to get up to speed but if you sell one striker and sign another it’s pretty difficult to argue that he isn’t a replacement.

It's not when your manager has specifically said "he's not a replacement for Danny Ings."

I took that as a manager not wanting to put pressure on a young player. The fact that at the first opportunity he used him from the bench in the same way he’d previously done with Ings was more telling in my opinion.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2023, 11:19:30 PM »

That's a concern for me.

This feels a bit like Everton/Ancelotti to me. I think he'll be in it for the long haul here but who knows what would happen if one of the Madrid clubs seriously want him as manager.

That said if he establishes us in europe for 2-3 years you'd like to think we'd have enough about us to tempt another on his level rather than just an uproven project manager. Perhaps Pochettino or Tuchel would actually return our calls this time.

Offline Risso

« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2023, 11:26:19 PM »

That's a concern for me.

This feels a bit like Everton/Ancelotti to me. I think he'll be in it for the long haul here but who knows what would happen if one of the Madrid clubs seriously want him as manager.

That said if he establishes us in europe for 2-3 years you'd like to think we'd have enough about us to tempt another on his level rather than just an uproven project manager. Perhaps Pochettino or Tuchel would actually return our calls this time.

Well hopefully a long time before we have to consider that, but I can't see either of them coming to not be given any money to spend. Tuchel has been at Chelsea, and lack of backing was one of the reasons Poch and Spurs parted ways.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2023, 11:26:30 PM »
I just watched the first leg of Deportivo v Villa to cheer myself up. Halcyon days.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2023, 11:46:41 PM »
Well said Boozey my sentiments exactly.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2023, 12:34:28 AM »

As fans we want Emery to cook a fine meal in the time it takes to cook a Pot Noodle. It’s not going to work that way. He needs the time and resources to do this properly. I don’t blame our impatience given what we’ve endured. And especially when at times it feels a lot closer than it is. But we also have to give a highly experienced and successful manager time with his staff, and support of the owners to shape the organization in every aspect. The thought of any other combination of manager/owner doesn’t bare thinking about because I can’t think what realistically could be better.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #326 on: February 06, 2023, 06:16:23 AM »
Mings, Konza, Luiz are just not good enough if we are going to challenge for european football next season, hopefully next we will have far better in those positions and they will be on the subs bench.

We need far more quality through the middle of the team

Supposedly Mings was signing for Wolves for £30 million until the Carlos injury scuppered those plans, Mr. Gerrard very nearly got him out of the club.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2023, 06:37:55 AM »
Mings, Konza, Luiz are just not good enough if we are going to challenge for european football next season, hopefully next we will have far better in those positions and they will be on the subs bench.

We need far more quality through the middle of the team

Supposedly Mings was signing for Wolves for £30 million until the Carlos injury scuppered those plans, Mr. Gerrard very nearly got him out of the club.

Luiz has generally been very good since Emery took over and played very well on Saturday.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2023, 06:43:36 AM »
Since the club trod water under Ellis, it's had so many owners in such a short amount of time - each with their own people, ideas, connections, failings. Its no wonder we haven't been able to kick on. My hope is that the current ownership are able to stay and remain competitive, even if it doesn't work first time.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2023, 06:45:31 AM »

That's a concern for me.

Isn't he from the Basque region? If so I expect the chances of either Madrid tempting him would be zero. Barca, maybe. I suspect they will want higher profile than Emery or "one of their own" currently. So, if he gets the call from there in 3 or 4 years time we will have been on one helluva ride.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal