collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Penalty Taker  (Read 9167 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Aston Villa Penalty Taker
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2023, 04:38:16 PM »
FV did more than Bailey today, start him next game.
PWS you're sounding like a striker with that legendary name. You can go up top.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2023, 08:08:43 AM »
You said you were all strikers yesterday, footy.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2023, 10:18:19 AM »
I had a look up of Harry Burrows who makes up the top 5 penalty scorer fame

https://www.avfchistory.co.uk/player/harry-burrows

My first hero....that is a long time ago....

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2023, 10:40:00 AM »

One of life's gentlemen. He left the Villa because his wife wanted a job where she didn't have to catch the bus to work. The only one available was less money, he asked us to make up the difference in his wages and we refused so he asked for a transfer. For the sake of £5 a week we lost a player on the verge of the England team..

Offline PGW

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2023, 11:03:42 AM »

One of life's gentlemen. He left the Villa because his wife wanted a job where she didn't have to catch the bus to work. The only one available was less money, he asked us to make up the difference in his wages and we refused so he asked for a transfer. For the sake of £5 a week we lost a player on the verge of the England team..

Even to a very impressionable 10year old it was a great loss.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2023, 11:40:18 AM »

Didn't he score in the first ever League Cup final? A while before I was born, but the name sticks in the memory.

Offline PGW

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2023, 11:44:12 AM »

Didn't he score in the first ever League Cup final? A while before I was born, but the name sticks in the memory.
He scored the second only a couple of minutes after O'Neill had got the first.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2023, 11:45:40 AM »

He scored the second only a couple of minutes after O'Neill had got the first.

Am having a nice glass of wine and reading all about him now, mate.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »
Interesting story about Harry there Dave.

He scored a penalty for us in my very first Villa game.
A 3-1 defeat, away at White Hart Lane in, I think, January 1964 and I didn't see it!

We were living in the East End of London and I'd badgered my Dad to take me. He agreed, but unfortunately, he was always a  'leave early to beat the crowds' type. The Villa were 3-nil down when we made our exit which was bad enough but, as we got outside, a muted roar told me that the away side had pulled one back.

60 years on and I never, ever leave a game before the end.
In fact, to emphasise the point, I'm often one of the last people to leave the bloody ground.

Offline PGW

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2023, 12:31:13 PM »
Interesting story about Harry there Dave.

He scored a penalty for us in my very first Villa game.
A 3-1 defeat, away at White Hart Lane in, I think, January 1964 and I didn't see it!

We were living in the East End of London and I'd badgered my Dad to take me. He agreed, but unfortunately, he was always a  'leave early to beat the crowds' type. The Villa were 3-nil down when we made our exit which was bad enough but, as we got outside, a muted roar told me that the away side had pulled one back.

60 years on and I never, ever leave a game before the end.
In fact, to emphasise the point, I'm often one of the last people to leave the bloody ground.
Interestingly one of Spurs scorers that day was Derek Possee one of his 4 goals for the club before he moved on to Millwall then Palace & Orient.
As u can well imagine Jimmy Greaves also netted

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2023, 12:47:44 PM »
Ha - Of course he did PGW!

It's amazing how clearly I can remember things about my first Villa game all those years ago and then struggle to recall even which games I was at last season.

Offline PGW

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2023, 10:12:12 AM »

It's amazing how clearly I can remember things about my first Villa game all those years ago and then struggle to recall even which games I was at last season.
I think it's called the aging process...lol

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2023, 01:04:11 PM »

I think it's called the aging process...lol

True dat.

I vividly remember Lew Chatterley scoring a penalty in my first game at VP in late December 1966 against Sunderland. Willie Anderson scored one in my second visit, against Stoke. Won both games 2-1 after conceding the first goal.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2023, 02:00:14 AM »
Dave W has told us the story of why Burrows left Villa (mainly due to the crushing ineptitude of the board).

The other half of the story was that in 1973, Stoke were looking to move Harry on. Vic Crowe and Ron Wylie were running Villa then and both had played with Burrows and knew how good he was. Harry was keen to link up with his old team and team-mates, as well as stay in the midlands.

The only problem was that the Stoke boss, Tony Waddington, didn't want Burrows doing well at Villa which might reflect badly on him, so he sold the player to Plymouth instead!!

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2023, 05:34:29 PM »
Having now seen Watkins had his pen saved in friendly and there had been specific discussions on penalty taking I thought best to bring the talk here for ease of following.

I'd try McGinn or Luiz on pens. Both pretty nailed on starters and good strikers of the ball. Maybe JJ once he's fit if he's holding down his place.

You can see why he wants to take them and why they have let him - a striker gains confidence by scoring goals. Maybe Watkins is the type of character that, more than most, needs the confidence/momentum from a scoring run to be at the top of his game.

Though it has to be getting close to the point where they think about a change or at least a back-up option. UTV.

Equally, he loses confidence when he misses. Down the middle is fine if it goes in. If it doesn't it's a shit pen. Should we get a pen v Newcastle we as fans will think 50/50 chance he'd score, some will think less than that. It should be 80/20 at least.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal