collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:48:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 67999 times)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #375 on: February 02, 2023, 07:37:02 PM »
Platt was a great snooker player too.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #376 on: February 02, 2023, 07:38:12 PM »
I've seen Italia 90 documentary though alot was focused on Gazza and other players. Platt was up and coming wasnt he . And that goal against Belguim was amazing. Never really see goals like that from an English player.  Great technique! Seemed like a more professional Dele Ali or something?

Of players you'd know Lampard is probably the closest example with a lot of his goals coming from drifting in the box late and being unmarked for crosses, etc. That's how I remember him for us anyway, I was still a kid but from the few games I saw him live the image I bring up was of him throwing himself at a header after a late burst into space.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2023, 07:39:35 PM »
He was, Footy, he was. Very good at everything. Apart from heading. When it came to that, he was on a different level to mere mortals. The best header of a ball I've watched wearing claret & blue.

And he had his own fan club.

I've seen Italia 90 documentary though alot was focused on Gazza and other players. Platt was up and coming wasnt he . And that goal against Belguim was amazing. Never really see goals like that from an English player.  Great technique! Seemed like a more professional Dele Ali or something?

I'll forgive you that one, Footy and blame it on youth, but David Platt was on a totally different planet to Delle Ali.

He was a truly great player for us. I saw his debut away at Blackburn (3-3 draw, he scored twice, great match, quite a lot of aggro after I remember so all in all a lively day out).

The problem with Platt is that despite us having given him his great chance and made him a top international player, he now acts like we don't exist.

He also now looks like the reflection of a normal person in the back of a tablespoon. Or a slightly wonky faced dolphin.

Great player though.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2023, 07:40:56 PM »
I think I may have said, I’m optimistic on Duran. (This is not meant to be a comment on our transfer business by the way).

He played senior football at 15, and apparently it was seen as a bit of a moment when he replaced the established centre-forward for Columbia. I seem to remember they said Falcoa but isn’t he a bit too old to be still playing?

Anyway, he was signed by Chicago at 17 and was planning his next move at 5 months later. Apparently  he made a few sub appearances, impressed, got in the team and from then on scored regularly, all while Chicago struggled otherwise. Bear in mind he only turned 19  in December. So, I’m getting g Rooney vibes. Watch him make a fool of me now.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #379 on: February 02, 2023, 07:47:51 PM »
My last on the matter. I will take to the grave my conviction that if Platt had stayed and played in that Atkinson side, we'd have won the inaugural Premier League. Comfortably.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2023, 07:48:32 PM »
Dele Alli on his best day wasn’t half the player Platt was on an average day. Platt’s runs in to the box were things you cannot teach. Just so instinctive. He score so many superb goals for us but the one that will always stick out for me, probably because of where I was sat upper Trinity at the North, was his header from Kevin Gage’s cross vs Bradford in our promotion season. Huge game, massive win, 1-0 job done. Brilliant. Now he’s just a bitter moon faced wanker. A conversation for another day.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #381 on: February 02, 2023, 08:01:50 PM »
My last on the matter. I will take to the grave my conviction that if Platt had stayed and played in that Atkinson side, we'd have won the inaugural Premier League. Comfortably.

I'm not so sure but I think we'd have definitely won it if the Leeds chairman hadn't picked up the phone to inquire about signing Denis Irwin from Yanited.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #382 on: February 02, 2023, 08:09:43 PM »
Dele Alli on his best day wasn’t half the player Platt was on an average day. Platt’s runs in to the box were things you cannot teach. Just so instinctive. He score so many superb goals for us but the one that will always stick out for me, probably because of where I was sat upper Trinity at the North, was his header from Kevin Gage’s cross vs Bradford in our promotion season. Huge game, massive win, 1-0 job done. Brilliant. Now he’s just a bitter moon faced wanker. A conversation for another day.

That goal might well be the one I'm picturing as well but I don't really remember the games I went to that season very well, I only got really into football after the 90 world cup.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #383 on: February 02, 2023, 08:21:17 PM »

That goal might well be the one I'm picturing as well but I don't really remember the games I went to that season very well, I only got really into football after the 90 world cup.
I started going in 1988, but yeah probably not far off you - I got really in to football in the second half of the 89/90 season. I can remember David Platt really standing out in that team (well, with Paul McGrath obvs) but not so many of the details. Just that I was a bit disappointed when he didn't score. And literally every kid in our school thought he was the best player in the country, even the ones who supported inferior sides like Liverpool. And basically at our school you either supported Villa or Liverpool - there was like 1 Albion fan, 1 Spurs supporter, 1 Port Vale supporter, then everyone else in our class, the class above, and the class below either supported Villa or Liverpool.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #384 on: February 02, 2023, 08:28:42 PM »
I don't think we've ever had a midfielder in the premier league get into double figures

Ian Taylor?

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #385 on: February 02, 2023, 08:46:46 PM »
I don't think we've ever had a midfielder in the premier league get into double figures

Ian Taylor?

David Platt was hitting 18 and 19 goals a season
Barry hit 9
Milner 7
Hendrie 6
Taylor 6

David Platt must have been quite something.

Keep up!

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #386 on: February 02, 2023, 08:48:14 PM »
If my memory is correct, and it might not be, Platt was often played up front back then, wasn't he?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #387 on: February 02, 2023, 08:59:48 PM »

Wouldn't have had the money to sign most of the side that took us to second if we'd kept him.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #388 on: February 02, 2023, 09:01:54 PM »

Ian Taylor?
just El Ghazi, if you class him as a midfielder, and some of those were penalties. Garry Parker got 9 in 92/93

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #389 on: February 02, 2023, 09:11:34 PM »
If my memory is correct, and it might not be, Platt was often played up front back then, wasn't he?

If I remember rightly he was signed as a striker originally, then we moved him into midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal