collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 68013 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2023, 09:29:06 AM »
Was Platt lazy off the ball?

It didn't really work like that back then, did it? He was a goalscorer, so he was in the team to get goals, rather than press. I can't remember, I was 11/12 when he was in his pomp for us.

I used to play in a similar position back then, and I sure as fuck didn't track back. I think my deep experience of the Shropshire junior leagues qualifies me to make the point.

I was old enough to notice he hardly touched the ball apart from caressing it beautifully into the net.

Not sure i'd agree with that, he used to come deep and take the ball off Spink and start the next attack from there at times. He also used to get it in midfield and play clever little angled passes out wide or into the striker. He was involved quite a lot really and was one of those that pretty much never gave the ball away. I don't recall him putting in many crunching tackles but he was superb otherwise. Obviuosly his runs into the box from deep and his finishing was the best part of his game though. The goal boxing day against Man Utd being the stand out one for me. I was suprised he didn't really do much when he cam back to England in 95, he was still under 30 at that point, but looked like he'd pretty much had it.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2023, 09:34:33 AM »
As I recall it, Nigel Spink would roll the ball to Platt, Platt would move it on to Paul McGrath, who would play it on to Tony Daley, Daley would then proceed down the wing - a bit like a torpedo - and put the ball up in the air for Tony Cascarino.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2023, 09:40:59 AM »
Tony Cascarino!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2023, 09:42:39 AM »
Obviously what really used to happen was Daley would run in a straight line, fast, and then run out of pitch and in to touch, like a scrawnier Adama Traore.

If he ever did get the ball in the air towards Cascarino, he'd either totally fail to make contact or if he did, his 50p head would ensure the ball pinged off at a random angle.

Basically, everything after the McGrath phase = the stuff of fantasy.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2023, 10:04:58 AM »
As I recall it, Nigel Spink would roll the ball to Platt, Platt would move it on to Paul McGrath, who would play it on to Tony Daley, Daley would then proceed down the wing - a bit like a torpedo - and put the ball up in the air for Tony Cascarino.

Did we ever score a real goal like that? I've always wondered.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2023, 10:09:32 AM »
Obviously what really used to happen was Daley would run in a straight line, fast, and then run out of pitch and in to touch, like a scrawnier Adama Traore.

If he ever did get the ball in the air towards Cascarino, he'd either totally fail to make contact or if he did, his 50p head would ensure the ball pinged off at a random angle.

Harsh on Daley. Fantastic player.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2023, 10:17:31 AM »

Yep.
One of my favourite Villa players ever.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2023, 10:32:52 AM »

He was but his crossing was often erratic but when it mattered in the Tranmere semifinal he pulled out a pinpoint ball for Dalian’s late goal.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #413 on: February 03, 2023, 10:41:39 AM »

He was but his crossing was often erratic but when it mattered in the Tranmere semifinal he pulled out a pinpoint ball for Dalian’s late goal.

Tony Daley .. I must have stood next to his dad every other week, as all you could hear in the Holte, every time he got the ball all you could hear was, "go on my son ..."

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #414 on: February 03, 2023, 10:42:08 AM »
Daley was more about dribbling and pace than crossing, certainly in the early days. His goal against Luton was an absolute beaut.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #415 on: February 03, 2023, 10:46:17 AM »
Daley was more about dribbling and pace than crossing, certainly in the early days. His goal against Luton was an absolute beaut.

West Brom away in the cup, the one v Man City (I think?) where Regis flicked on a long ball from the keeper and he volleyed it in. The ball never touched the grass. The volley v Everton…

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #416 on: February 03, 2023, 10:46:56 AM »
I wish we had a Tony Daley now. Someone who gets you off your seat every game and runs at defenders. Give me that than this slow build up play any day.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #417 on: February 03, 2023, 10:48:21 AM »
Daley would have been more suited to today's game with wingers cutting in and crossing not a prerequisite.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #418 on: February 03, 2023, 10:52:30 AM »

West Brom away in the cup, the one v Man City (I think?) where Regis flicked on a long ball from the keeper and he volleyed it in. The ball never touched the grass. The volley v Everton…

His goal against Chelsea away (New Years Day?) in 89-90, where he got the ball around the halfway line and just ran before smashing it into the top corner. "Even Dorigo's not quick enough to get to him". I often cite that as my favourite goal of all time. He was unplayable when he was at his best.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #419 on: February 03, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »

Had that hapless Luton fullback on toast that day, IIRC. Bloke went to grab him to block him off, but Daley was that quick he was clutching at thin air and fell on his arse.

Did similar to the Arsenal backline earlier in the season.  Also did it against Inter Milan at home the following year. No way should that goal have been disallowed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal