collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 70022 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #420 on: February 03, 2023, 11:17:24 AM »
I think it was around 92-93, when he looked like he might move to Italy (to Torino or Udinese or somebody like that) that he seemed to stop trying to take people on and just kept passing it back to the full back. I can't really recall if there was a reason he became less effective, was he injured for a while or something?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #421 on: February 03, 2023, 11:20:31 AM »
I think it was around 92-93, when he looked like he might move to Italy (to Torino or Udinese or somebody like that) that he seemed to stop trying to take people on and just kept passing it back to the full back. I can't really recall if there was a reason he became less effective, was he injured for a while or something?

Ideally, that shot that hit the post leading to third goal v Manure in the 94 cup final would have gone in. That was a great move.

Offline Risso

« Reply #422 on: February 03, 2023, 11:32:11 AM »
Oh yes he was still capable of some great moments, he just didn't seem to be the exciting, explosive talent he was from a few years earlier. He was still only 26 when he went to the Dingles.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #423 on: February 03, 2023, 11:33:23 AM »
On his day he was fantastic. I remember him coming on against Liverpool as sub in one of his first appearances and taking on almost the whole team and nearly scoring. As I remember Little (who was coaching the youth team) thought Taylor brought him into the first team too soon. I think niggly injuries caught up with him and as he depended on pace he went downhill fairly quickly. Why did we sing he was like a Tall Paedo?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #424 on: February 03, 2023, 11:35:49 AM »
Without finding the post out, which I can't be arsed to do, I'm just gonna assume a misunderstanding here. Getting near to 60 goals from our position when Emery came in would've meant champions league form over 3/4s of a season. However it should be our target going forward.

For this season getting around 50 will be good and to achieve that we need 25-30 goals so we need 15-20 from our attacking players.

Given we've had 17 from them so far, Ings included, getting to 30 for the season isn't just a target, it's the minimum I'd expect. The goals Ings scored don't stop counting because he was sold.

What's a bit weird is that you're digging this up on a different thread and I'm not sure why. I've been consistent for years in wanting the goals spread out more across the team, in wanting about 1.5per game as the target and thinking doing that woild put us in the mix for the top 6.

The only slightly new points are that I've given splitting strikers and wingers, mostly because they seem a little interchangeable under Emery and I've clarified that, for a full season, I'd be challenging 4-5 players to aim for 8-10 each.

It's relevant and therefore not weird because selling Ings was a key decision in the transfer window, and in my opinion selling him and not replacing him has weakened the attacking unit, making the chances of hitting targets for goals scored much less likely. We'll see over the second half of the season of course, but generally having one recognised striker wouldn't be considered desirable by most managers.

It's weird because you're arguing semantics of a post I made days ago without quoting it and then trying to wrap me up with your interpretation of my own words so you can be all smug about it.

Instead of carrying on with that how about we restart it. Our attacking 'unit' has scored 17 goals so far, to get to 30 (the lower end of the range I suggested) they need 13 in 18. Do you think that is 'extremely unlikely' because we've sold Ings? If so how about we make a bet?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #425 on: February 03, 2023, 11:36:45 AM »

Bryan Robson smashed him in a game up there around Christmas 1990 and he was out for a while, he was never the same player afterwards

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #426 on: February 03, 2023, 11:39:02 AM »
Daley was more about dribbling and pace than crossing, certainly in the early days. His goal against Luton was an absolute beaut.

Let’s face it if he played for us today, with online forums and social media he’d be getting the same treatment Bert and Bailey get. Daley has an immensely frustrating player who could have the most incredible moments like the Luton goal, or the flying volley vs Everton. Too often the cross was poor because he was so fast and the control wasn’t there. But we love a good winger at Villa and he played for us at a good time under SGT.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #427 on: February 03, 2023, 11:44:13 AM »
Daley was more about dribbling and pace than crossing, certainly in the early days. His goal against Luton was an absolute beaut.

Let’s face it if he played for us today, with online forums and social media he’d be getting the same treatment Bert and Bailey get. Daley has an immensely frustrating player who could have the most incredible moments like the Luton goal, or the flying volley vs Everton. Too often the cross was poor because he was so fast and the control wasn’t there. But we love a good winger at Villa and he played for us at a good time under SGT.

I showed my lad Tony Morley yesterday during the European cup run .  Some of his wing play was

phenomenal, forgot how good he was 

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #428 on: February 03, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »
Scored the first ever Villa goal I saw live, so obviously that makes Daley great.

(1-0 win against Coventry, Highfield Road, 1994)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #429 on: February 03, 2023, 12:07:01 PM »

He only played another 40-odd professional games in the five years after he left us, till he went into non-league and played regularly again. My guess is he had injury problems which prevented him being the explosive player he was in his early twenties. Without that, he was, unfortunately, not the same player.

There are a few players from that era and slightly before where I wonder if they'd played today, with today's medical expertise and surgeons/physios who can fix almost anything, would they have been able to play many more years of top level football.  Gary Shaw is the other obvious one.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #430 on: February 03, 2023, 12:23:19 PM »
In the summer I would look to upgrade or give youth a chance by replacing these:
Olsen, Chambers, Cash, Dendonker, McGinn, Coutinho, Wesley

Depending on where we finish Martinez and Kamara may be enticed away but hoping have another season of them as they are exceptional and unless big fees no need to sell.

Offline Risso

« Reply #431 on: February 03, 2023, 12:25:19 PM »

By the time he went he was already getting pelters from the Holte End. Crowds weren't really much different back then, there are just more ways to express it these days.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #432 on: February 03, 2023, 12:25:28 PM »
In the summer I would look to upgrade or give youth a chance by replacing these:
Olsen, Chambers, Cash, Dendonker, McGinn, Coutinho, Wesley

Depending on where we finish Martinez and Kamara may be enticed away but hoping have another season of them as they are exceptional and unless big fees no need to sell.

Martinez and Kamara will be going absolutely nowhere.

From the list, I'd agree on Olsen, Wesley and perhaps Chambers. The others are all good enough to stay and I'd hope perform well for the rest of the season under Emery.

Offline Risso

« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2023, 12:27:09 PM »
I don't think we'll sell many, we just need to be in a position where the likes of Watkins, McGinn and Konsa aren't necessarily first choice any more.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2023, 12:34:49 PM »
I don't think we'll sell many, we just need to be in a position where the likes of Watkins, McGinn and Konsa aren't necessarily first choice any more.

Yep, I agree, I think that's exactly what Emery is trying to do. We need First team players, not squad players, next.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal