collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 70183 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #435 on: February 03, 2023, 12:44:55 PM »
In the summer I would look to upgrade or give youth a chance by replacing these:
Olsen, Chambers, Cash, Dendonker, McGinn, Coutinho, Wesley

Depending on where we finish Martinez and Kamara may be enticed away but hoping have another season of them as they are exceptional and unless big fees no need to sell.

Martinez and Kamara will be going absolutely nowhere.

From the list, I'd agree on Olsen, Wesley and perhaps Chambers. The others are all good enough to stay and I'd hope perform well for the rest of the season under Emery.

However, I would like to think Emery can add players who are better at maintaining possession than those named by me for the next season.
Additionally, lets sign players with superior athleticism, self-control, and football IQ. With the exception of Coutinho, who possesses all of these qualities but appears to have lost his drive, perseverance, and confidence

I believe Cash and McGinn are the ones Emery will get found out and have now half a season to show what they are capable of. There is room for progress on their part like any player, but I just feel that these two characters in particular won't match the play style, and that getting two individuals to take their place who are better suited will advance us rather than keeping company with them.  Its telling neither are guaranteed a place in starting line up. I don't think either are nailed for the remainder of the season.
Emery said he wanted different characteristics to come into the squad and likes of Guendouzi who is 5 years younger than McGinn would be one

Ings was made captain for a match but ultimately sold and McGinn despite the honour of Captain has now to endeavour and show fitness and attitude and abilities to be in the team. He has improved but there are players out there who we can buy same with the rest on the list that are more for football.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #436 on: February 03, 2023, 12:47:16 PM »
That’s the transition. We need to keep the best first team players at the club. And the next best, they can still contribute in what is now very much a squad game. The 5 subs rule as much as I’m not a fan does allow for more players to contribute. But there are easily 3 or 4 players who should not be regular and need to be upgraded by players of the standard of Kamara or Emi Martinez. That’s the only way we can convince those players to stay is by showing the ambition that matches theirs. Newcastle have shown it is possible with good coaching, players having greater self belief and some astute player acquisition that the turnaround can be fast. We can achieve that too and having the right set up behind the scenes and a legitimate long term plan will help.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #437 on: February 03, 2023, 12:47:33 PM »
I don't think we'll sell many, we just need to be in a position where the likes of Watkins, McGinn and Konsa aren't necessarily first choice any more.

Yep, I agree, I think that's exactly what Emery is trying to do. We need First team players, not squad players, next.
Yes certainly dont need am ovehaul but depending on how much we spend and how many signed we can get fees for McGinn and Cash while bringing in upgrades as part of the trade.
If Everton stay up we could sell high to them for example.
Or Cash back to forest.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #438 on: February 03, 2023, 01:35:21 PM »
In the summer I would look to upgrade or give youth a chance by replacing these:
Olsen, Chambers, Cash, Dendonker, McGinn, Coutinho, Wesley

Depending on where we finish Martinez and Kamara may be enticed away but hoping have another season of them as they are exceptional and unless big fees no need to sell.

Martinez and Kamara will be going absolutely nowhere.

From the list, I'd agree on Olsen, Wesley and perhaps Chambers. The others are all good enough to stay and I'd hope perform well for the rest of the season under Emery.

However, I would like to think Emery can add players who are better at maintaining possession than those named by me for the next season.
Additionally, lets sign players with superior athleticism, self-control, and football IQ. With the exception of Coutinho, who possesses all of these qualities but appears to have lost his drive, perseverance, and confidence

I believe Cash and McGinn are the ones Emery will get found out and have now half a season to show what they are capable of. There is room for progress on their part like any player, but I just feel that these two characters in particular won't match the play style, and that getting two individuals to take their place who are better suited will advance us rather than keeping company with them.  Its telling neither are guaranteed a place in starting line up. I don't think either are nailed for the remainder of the season.
Emery said he wanted different characteristics to come into the squad and likes of Guendouzi who is 5 years younger than McGinn would be one

Ings was made captain for a match but ultimately sold and McGinn despite the honour of Captain has now to endeavour and show fitness and attitude and abilities to be in the team. He has improved but there are players out there who we can buy same with the rest on the list that are more for football.

I think McGinn will have a very strong second half of the season and prove you (and his many detractors on here) wrong. I'm not a fan of Emery's formation but I do think it will suit McGinn more than most.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #439 on: February 03, 2023, 01:44:34 PM »
As I recall it, Nigel Spink would roll the ball to Platt, Platt would move it on to Paul McGrath, who would play it on to Tony Daley, Daley would then proceed down the wing - a bit like a torpedo - and put the ball up in the air for Tony Cascarino.

Did we ever score a real goal like that? I've always wondered.

Yes, before Cascarino arrived.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:51:56 PM by old man villa fan »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #440 on: February 03, 2023, 01:51:14 PM »
That’s the transition. We need to keep the best first team players at the club. And the next best, they can still contribute in what is now very much a squad game. The 5 subs rule as much as I’m not a fan does allow for more players to contribute. But there are easily 3 or 4 players who should not be regular and need to be upgraded by players of the standard of Kamara or Emi Martinez. That’s the only way we can convince those players to stay is by showing the ambition that matches theirs. Newcastle have shown it is possible with good coaching, players having greater self belief and some astute player acquisition that the turnaround can be fast. We can achieve that too and having the right set up behind the scenes and a legitimate long term plan will help.

TThe important part we really shouldn't forget is the the impact of the right players isn't just their extra ability over who they replace. Kamara has clearly been a big upgrade in midfield but he's also made Luiz look a better player, Martinez, in my opinion, makes Mings a better player.

This is why I'm not against the manager being more cautious in who he brings in and focusing on a smaller number of options. It does risk us having gaps in the squad as we've seen but over time I'd hope it means that the players we do bring in are a better fit and increase the levels of the rest of the squad as well.

I suspect that's what happened with Moreno for example, Digne isn't a bad player but with us playing Buendia/Coutinho on the left and with Watkins drifting into space outside the right centre back I can see it being decided that we needed someone with the ability to underlap as well as overlap, depending on where the play is developing (and with the extra pace to see those opportunities and act on them). If that's the case then as we develop the interplay between them I'd expect to see Moreno popping up in an inside left position more often and getting more shots away than we've seen before, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him score a few goals before the summer by doing that.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #441 on: February 03, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »
He was still only 26 when he went to the Dingles.

Shame that, it's such a young age for a footballer to retire.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #442 on: February 03, 2023, 01:56:45 PM »

TThe important part we really shouldn't forget is the the impact of the right players isn't just their extra ability over who they replace. Kamara has clearly been a big upgrade in midfield but he's also made Luiz look a better player, Martinez, in my opinion, makes Mings a better player.

This is why I'm not against the manager being more cautious in who he brings in and focusing on a smaller number of options. It does risk us having gaps in the squad as we've seen but over time I'd hope it means that the players we do bring in are a better fit and increase the levels of the rest of the squad as well.

I suspect that's what happened with Moreno for example, Digne isn't a bad player but with us playing Buendia/Coutinho on the left and with Watkins drifting into space outside the right centre back I can see it being decided that we needed someone with the ability to underlap as well as overlap, depending on where the play is developing (and with the extra pace to see those opportunities and act on them). If that's the case then as we develop the interplay between them I'd expect to see Moreno popping up in an inside left position more often and getting more shots away than we've seen before, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him score a few goals before the summer by doing that.

I think Emery sees Moreno as an option for wide midfield if we need to push the game and he has brought him in for this as much as fullback.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #443 on: February 03, 2023, 02:20:25 PM »
The gaffer

“If we didn’t have the possibility to sign a player to improve the team, we were sure that we wouldn’t do it.

“I am so happy because I think we have players with big commitment, they are showing us their performance.”

On Bert

I know him, I was following him when he was at Lyon and when he arrived here, he was an important player.

“His commitment is very good, he pushed to come back here and help us.”

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #444 on: February 03, 2023, 02:25:32 PM »

I think Emery sees Moreno as an option for wide midfield if we need to push the game and he has brought him in for this as much as fullback.

Yep, and when we need to counter a progressive full back like Alexander Arnold it could prove really useful too.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #445 on: February 03, 2023, 02:26:53 PM »

Yep, and when we need to counter a progressive full back like Alexander Arnold it could prove really useful too.

This could also be very true, versatility is something Emery seems to really like in his players.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #446 on: February 03, 2023, 02:46:56 PM »
The gaffer

“If we didn’t have the possibility to sign a player to improve the team, we were sure that we wouldn’t do it.

“I am so happy because I think we have players with big commitment, they are showing us their performance.”

On Bert

I know him, I was following him when he was at Lyon and when he arrived here, he was an important player.

“His commitment is very good, he pushed to come back here and help us.”
Thats encouraging.
Emery just is so positive its quite wonderful!

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #447 on: February 03, 2023, 05:46:06 PM »
5.5/10

A decent striker and we'd probably have been set. I also like Sanson and would like him to have got a run at some stage.

Similar thoughts but 6/10 for me as we've trimmed the squad.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #448 on: February 03, 2023, 07:31:46 PM »
As I recall it, Nigel Spink would roll the ball to Platt, Platt would move it on to Paul McGrath, who would play it on to Tony Daley, Daley would then proceed down the wing - a bit like a torpedo - and put the ball up in the air for Tony Cascarino.

We played at Palace away I think it might have been 88-89.  Anyway it was a shit game that we lost 1-0.  In fact now I think of it it might have been in the promotion season.  I just remember that song  being sung by one bloke and he replaced all the other players names with David Platt.  So Platt knocked it up to Platty etc etc.  it was just stupid but funny.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #449 on: February 03, 2023, 10:41:22 PM »
The only head scratcher, for me, is letting Cam go on loan AND selling Ings.  I don't understand that decision making process to any degree.  We have cover across the defence, with Carlos coming back to fitness we have plenty of cover behond him.  Our CMs could be stronger with the Guendozi effect.  I just don't feel we are cohesive in the final 3rd of the pitch, too narrow, too slow...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal