collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 70280 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2023, 03:32:05 PM »
I’m glad I went to bed.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2023, 03:33:51 PM »
And what pisses me off is when people say stuff like "so you wish we'd gone out and got a Baston or Samatta"  No I don't.  They were fucking shite.  We pay people a load of money to find players who aren't shit.  I wish they'd done their job and found one.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2023, 03:35:45 PM »
Secondly the form crash thing is a step to far in conjecture for me. If Watkins gets injured at the weekend and our form collapses for 2 months whilst Duran shows the world he's nowhere near ready then yes the drop in league position can be attributed to the transfer window.

I'd argue it doesn't need Watkins to get injured for that judgement to be made, just any scenario where we haven't scored enough goals.

Watkins didn't need to be injured in (for example) the game against Wolves to look ineffective, and having an alternative striker was the reason we ended up with an equaliser and a point.

This is the crux of it. We got rid of a decent goalscoring option off the bench when there didn't seem to be any need to do so. To me that sends the message that we're not placing too much importance on results for the rest of the season.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2023, 03:36:00 PM »
I’m glad I went to bed.

They had a massive timer in the background counting down to the second, and then crossed live to fucking Big Ben as the window shut. I was round my mate's and he had it on in the background, the banner would have 'breaking news' like "Dave Titwank completes loan move from Stockport to Grays Athletic"

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2023, 03:44:44 PM »
Secondly the form crash thing is a step to far in conjecture for me. If Watkins gets injured at the weekend and our form collapses for 2 months whilst Duran shows the world he's nowhere near ready then yes the drop in league position can be attributed to the transfer window.

I'd argue it doesn't need Watkins to get injured for that judgement to be made, just any scenario where we haven't scored enough goals.

Watkins didn't need to be injured in (for example) the game against Wolves to look ineffective, and having an alternative striker was the reason we ended up with an equaliser and a point.

I think that's the point.

Paul, you said this a while ago, (and I'm not dragging it up to be a twat, honest):

"to get where we want to be we need 30-40 goals from Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Archer, Duran and any new winger we sign.

To date, these are the scores on the doors:

Watkins - 4
Ings - 6
Bailey - 4
Archer - 0
Duran - 0
Traore - 0
Total - 14

Obviously Ings and Archer won't be contributing to the total, so to hit your targets Paul (which I agree are probably there or thereabouts) we need 16 to 26 goals from Watkins, Bailey, Duran and Traore.

It's quite to hard make a case for them getting the bottom limit to be honest, eg:
Watkins - 8
Bailey - 4
Duran - 2
Traore - 2

That would be a decent return for all involved, but we've no idea when Traore is going to be fit, and he's obviously going to be vying with Bailey for one place. Duran we've literally no idea about. To get to the upper limit of 26 you'd need something more like this:
Watkins - 12
Bailey - 8
Duran - 2
Traore - 4

Which would need Watkins and Bailey to both stay fit all season and have the sort of scoring runs that both seem entirely incapable of. If instead you could add another 6 say from Danny Ings, which I think would have been entirely possible, it makes both scenarios a bit more achievable.

(Obviously all of this ignores the fact that we might win every match 1-0 with a goal from Buendia in every game, but it's just designed to show how selling Ings has weakened our options)

Online Simon Page

« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2023, 03:45:45 PM »
Did we miss out on Dave Titwank?

FFS Emery.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2023, 03:46:19 PM »

FFS Emery.

He wouldn't come.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2023, 03:47:02 PM »
I’m glad I went to bed.

They had a massive timer in the background counting down to the second, and then crossed live to fucking Big Ben as the window shut. I was round my mate's and he had it on in the background, the banner would have 'breaking news' like "Dave Titwank completes loan move from Stockport to Grays Athletic"

Haha, I mean this morning, when I was in this row.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2023, 03:52:01 PM »

FFS Emery.

He wouldn't come.

Shame. Always gets his shot off.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2023, 03:52:51 PM »

FFS Emery.

He wouldn't come.
Wouldn't or couldn't ?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #340 on: February 02, 2023, 03:54:27 PM »
Percy, that post was about the entire season. About 25-30 as a team for the rest of this season would be a good return for me (around 1.5 per game).

4 players get 4-5 each covers that which why I said somewhere (Berts thread maybe) that would be my challenge to Watkins, Bailey, Bert, Coutinho and Buendia).

All of them are capable of it and that takes pressure away from people like JJ and Duran.

Online Simon Page

« Reply #341 on: February 02, 2023, 03:56:20 PM »

FFS Emery.

He wouldn't come.
Wouldn't or couldn't ?

Happens to everyone. No big deal. Try again another time.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #342 on: February 02, 2023, 03:57:19 PM »

FFS Emery.

He wouldn't come.

He prefers playing with two big 'uns up top

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2023, 04:05:45 PM »
Percy, that post was about the entire season. About 25-30 as a team for the rest of this season would be a good return for me (around 1.5 per game).

4 players get 4-5 each covers that which why I said somewhere (Berts thread maybe) that would be my challenge to Watkins, Bailey, Bert, Coutinho and Buendia).

All of them are capable of it and that takes pressure away from people like JJ and Duran.

It was me, not Percy. Just to be clear, you specifically said that 50-60 goals is what we should be aiming for with 30-40 of those coming from the forwards, which is the point of my post above. 25 more goals would have us on 48, which most years would see you finishing about 12th to 14th.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #344 on: February 02, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »
Whatever way you look at it for a Premier League team to finish a transfer window without enough senior players to put out a full match day squad is pretty weak.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal