collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:55:01 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:54:02 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:50:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 12:45:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 12:42:56 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by London Villan
[Today at 12:40:55 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:55:01 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:54:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:53:24 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:50:55 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:50:26 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:45:35 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by London Villan
[Today at 12:45:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reaching for the star  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Reaching for the star
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2022, 04:20:51 PM »
Bob, i don't think you really know what the word 'FACT' means, i think you need to do more research.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2022, 04:39:30 PM »
Come the summer, we will find out.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2022, 05:10:31 PM »
I thought it had been reported that the owners were extremely reluctant to incorporate release clauses into new contracts after the Grealish saga.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2022, 05:14:22 PM »
I thought it had been reported that the owners were extremely reluctant to incorporate release clauses into new contracts after the Grealish saga.

I realise some deals might struggle to happen without them but they are something of a sword of damocles hanging over the club that it subject to them, a nightmare to plan around

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2022, 05:17:58 PM »

I would think that as in most cases it depends on who the player is, and the relative strength of the relationship. I'd be fairly certain that Luiz has probably got one in his, seeing as we wanted to keep him and he had Arsenal after him. If somebody like Nakamba was after a new contract, he wouldn't be as well placed to insist on one. I don't think they're necessarily all bad in any case. Grealish probably would have engineered a move to City once he knew they wanted him anyway, and the buyout just guaranteed absolutely top dollar, whereas we might have got much less.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2022, 05:21:10 PM »
Money talks and players have their heads turned.

Offline Rico

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2022, 05:42:08 PM »
A few months back I was chatting to a Man Utd fan, and I was moaning about Gerrard. He asked me who I would like as manager if and when we got rid of Gerrard. I reply by saying Pochettino. He nearly had a coronary he laughed so much. I asked him why he thought it was so funny and he said that thought that if Pochettino was going to join an English club outside of the Sky 6 then he thought Everton would be a good shout. When I stopped laughing I asked him why the hell he would consider Everton ahead of Villa, and he replied with all sincerity that he thought Everton were more prestigious than Villa. The reason for this convoluted explanation is that this is how much of the football world perceives Villa. We need to change that perception, and the way to start changing that perception is to start winning trophies on a regular basis. This is why it boils my piss when we repeatedly blow our chances of winning the league cup or the FA Cup. I would say winning the FA Cup this season would be more beneficial for the club in terms of momentum and prestige than finishing 7th We need to start changing perceptions, and winning trophies on a regular basis will do that, and when you start winning trophies you start attracting better players. Better players means more trophies etc etc.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2022, 06:37:14 PM »
Sadly in order to attract players of potential, you also have to demonstrate that you will let them leave for a better opportunity/more money when their performances warrant  it.

Our role in that is to make sure when we sell a player for £50m who we purchased for £12m is we replace him with a player we buy for £50m and sell for £100m later. That is our route to eventually securing a regular top half finish, then top 6 with the odd trophy thrown in hopefully and then Europe every season.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2022, 06:53:22 PM »
A few months back I was chatting to a Man Utd fan, and I was moaning about Gerrard. He asked me who I would like as manager if and when we got rid of Gerrard. I reply by saying Pochettino. He nearly had a coronary he laughed so much. I asked him why he thought it was so funny and he said that thought that if Pochettino was going to join an English club outside of the Sky 6 then he thought Everton would be a good shout. When I stopped laughing I asked him why the hell he would consider Everton ahead of Villa, and he replied with all sincerity that he thought Everton were more prestigious than Villa. The reason for this convoluted explanation is that this is how much of the football world perceives Villa. We need to change that perception, and the way to start changing that perception is to start winning trophies on a regular basis. This is why it boils my piss when we repeatedly blow our chances of winning the league cup or the FA Cup. I would say winning the FA Cup this season would be more beneficial for the club in terms of momentum and prestige than finishing 7th We need to start changing perceptions, and winning trophies on a regular basis will do that, and when you start winning trophies you start attracting better players. Better players means more trophies etc etc.

I don’t disagree that we could do with more trophies but that perception is odd as Everton last won the league only 5 years after us in the 80s & last won a trophy a year before our last one.
I think Everton only have a more prestigious image in some people’s minds because they are seen alongside Liverpool, whereas we…..

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2022, 06:55:44 PM »

I would think that as in most cases it depends on who the player is, and the relative strength of the relationship. I'd be fairly certain that Luiz has probably got one in his, seeing as we wanted to keep him and he had Arsenal after him. If somebody like Nakamba was after a new contract, he wouldn't be as well placed to insist on one. I don't think they're necessarily all bad in any case. Grealish probably would have engineered a move to City once he knew they wanted him anyway, and the buyout just guaranteed absolutely top dollar, whereas we might have got much less.
I think this is exactly it, I would be shocked if Emi and Luiz didn't have one.  Maybe even Matty Cash.    There must come a point in any contract talks that protecting the investments becomes a factor - and I would think with Emi and Luiz it would have been better to get them to sign than to potentially leave on a free at some point in the future.

How much those clauses are is another matter clearly - but when it comes to selling prized players, we have never really been mugs.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2022, 06:57:10 PM »
I don’t disagree that we could do with more trophies but that perception is odd as Everton last won the league only 5 years after us in the 80s & last won a trophy a year before our last one.
I think Everton only have a more prestigious image in some people’s minds because they are seen alongside Liverpool, whereas we…..
But surely, both clubs main claim to fame is the fact twice a year Villa and Everton play in the "most played fixture derby"

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2022, 07:47:32 PM »

I'd argue the opposite, I think Everton are firmly in the shadow of their neighbours and the other North West clubs, whereas we're by far the biggest club outside of the North West and London.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2022, 08:06:33 PM »
The only way to change the way Aston Villa are perceived is to regularly batter other teams, move up the table, sign or develop players who get us winning things and keep doing it. Banging on about how big, great and classy we are counts for fuck all and always will.

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2022, 08:12:00 PM »
Not sure where to put this but I read on BT Sport website a list of the 30 players with the most premier league appearances. Not counting John Terry who did not play in the P L for us ,ten of them had played for Villa. I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2022, 08:29:54 PM »

I'd argue the opposite, I think Everton are firmly in the shadow of their neighbours and the other North West clubs, whereas we're by far the biggest club outside of the North West and London.

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am saying Everton receive reflected glory from a neighbouring club who have been much more successful in our lifetime. We have only our own success to rely on for our reputation as there is no one in the region to drag us into the headlines alongside them. Neither us nor Everton have enough recent success to have a big reputation under our own steam.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal