collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by mrfuse
[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:06:23 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by jwarry
[Today at 08:04:36 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reaching for the star  (Read 5660 times)

Offline bob

Re: Reaching for the star
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2022, 09:51:27 PM »
It's a fact that release clauses are regularly included in players contracts.

What's the % split between those with and without release clauses in recent time

50:50

They either have it or they don't.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2022, 10:13:28 PM »

What's the % split between those with and without release clauses in recent time

yet another BobFact.

For cough, Bob.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2022, 11:07:07 PM »

I don’t disagree that we could do with more trophies but that perception is odd as Everton last won the league only 5 years after us in the 80s & last won a trophy a year before our last one.
I think Everton only have a more prestigious image in some people’s minds because they are seen alongside Liverpool, whereas we…..

I'd argue the opposite, I think Everton are firmly in the shadow of their neighbours and the other North West clubs, whereas we're by far the biggest club outside of the North West and London.

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am saying Everton receive reflected glory from a neighbouring club who have been much more successful in our lifetime. We have only our own success to rely on for our reputation as there is no one in the region to drag us into the headlines alongside them. Neither us nor Everton have enough recent success to have a big reputation under our own steam.

A scan of our overall honours would suggest Everton and Villa are similar sized clubs.

But we won six of our seven league titles before WWI. Some of those before goal nets were a thing. Of the last one we won, that was pretty much painted as year of the underdog; an odd year when Liverpool, Forest or whoever were off colour. Rather than a big club regaining its rightful place.

In contrast, Everton's nine league titles are more spaced out. They were a big deal in the 60s and 80s and were viewed as an established member of the 'Big Five' at the tail end of that decade. We possibly edge the 90s (what I wouldn't give for their FA Cup win in 95, mind) and both clubs have pissed the bed at various stages since then.

It's entirely subjective, ofc. But can understand why they would be viewed as bigger/ more prestigious call it what you will.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2022, 06:39:03 AM »

yet another BobFact.

For cough, Bob.

To quote Balckadder - God It's pathetic

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2022, 08:11:33 AM »

I don’t disagree that we could do with more trophies but that perception is odd as Everton last won the league only 5 years after us in the 80s & last won a trophy a year before our last one.
I think Everton only have a more prestigious image in some people’s minds because they are seen alongside Liverpool, whereas we…..

I'd argue the opposite, I think Everton are firmly in the shadow of their neighbours and the other North West clubs, whereas we're by far the biggest club outside of the North West and London.

I think you misunderstand what I am saying. I am saying Everton receive reflected glory from a neighbouring club who have been much more successful in our lifetime. We have only our own success to rely on for our reputation as there is no one in the region to drag us into the headlines alongside them. Neither us nor Everton have enough recent success to have a big reputation under our own steam.
How does that work for Small Heath.?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2022, 09:36:32 AM »
The sale of Grealish meant we lost our best player at the time but now we have a better squad.

Our new manager needs funds to take us to the next level.

Selling El Dibu whilst his stock is highest would most likely be detrimental in the short term but longer term would be a net benefit.

It's hardly baffling or fragile to suggest.

Havent read the whole thread so this might of been said, whilst i get what your saying, selling the best goalie currently in the world, doesn’t make you a better team, especially when the players bought may or may not work out or may take time to bed in. We need long term planing, but we’re also living in the here and now.

Online Baldy

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2022, 10:10:52 AM »
In the eyes of the world, Aston Villa are like the 15th race car on the grid. Just making up the numbers!! They have next to no idea of our financial clout.

I said it before, we need to act like a big club and start bidding for world renowned players. Why not put a bid in for Harry Kane?

Spurs are going nowhere and with our financial backing he has more potential to win something at the Villa. He has goal records galore, a miserable looking trophy cabinet and we are desperate for a goal scoring striker.

Put a bid in now. Even if he tells us to feck off, we have upped our status in the eyes of the world.

Reach for a star.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:02:58 PM by Baldy »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2022, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2022, 01:41:43 PM »
I have mentioned before that i do not want to hoover up huge fees and wages on any old player but we do need to start making people sit up and notice by our actions in the transfer market

When City bought Robhinio the  world sat up and noticed and it was he, with a shit Manager such as Hughes, that started their ball rolling.

Chelsea era was Gullit, Vialli, Zola et al

Then once Sky get sexed up about the club they get lots of positive press and it snowballs and urban myths begin to grow.

Our highest transfer fee was £38m for Buendia who we have suggested will fill a Grealish gap and we can build a team around him whereas that sort of money buys you a half decent full back nowadays

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2022, 01:49:54 PM »
I have mentioned before that i do not want to hoover up huge fees and wages on any old player but we do need to start making people sit up and notice by our actions in the transfer market

When City bought Robhinio the  world sat up and noticed and it was he, with a shit Manager such as Hughes, that started their ball rolling.

Then once Sky get sexed up about the club they get lots of positive press and it snowballs and urban myths begin to grow.

Our highest transfer fee was £38m for Buendia who we have suggested will fill a Grealish gap and we can build a team around him whereas that sort of money buys you a half decent full back nowadays

Kamara is the type of signing I want us to make more of, a genuinely highly rated up and coming international star that people were surprised chose us. A few more like that (the lad Thuram for example) where it's not necessarily the fee because there's a deal to be had, but it's getting the profile of player expected to head elsewhere over you, and people's perceptions change.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2022, 01:54:18 PM »

Kamara is the type of signing I want us to make more of, a genuinely highly rated up and coming international star that people were surprised chose us. A few more like that (the lad Thuram for example) where it's not necessarily the fee because there's a deal to be had, but it's getting the profile of player expected to head elsewhere over you, and people's perceptions change.

Yes I agree, under Deano we bought lots of players but most either delivered, gained in value or we didn't lose too much value.

Thuram is a great example but we also need to bring on our own more successfully. We often seem to have a crop of  youngsters every few years who don't quite make it. Need Emery to sort that out.

Although not against in principle giving 30ish year olds like Carlos, Digne and Countinho all big contracts with little sell on value potentially is risky for us where we are - fine if they get us to 'the next level' but not if they don't.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2022, 07:05:09 PM »
Emi's going nowhere! He loves the Villa.

Emi will be gone this summer.

Like every other PL player, he loves winning, he loves the adulation, and he loves the money and the lifestyle. He will say all the right things, but this game is, like it or not, all about the money. Loyalty doesn’t exist. His agent/team will have demanded clauses in his contract when he re-signed (fact) to include buy-outs in the event of relegation, a minimum fee being met, etc. Just like with Grealish, all Villa can do is price into those clauses compensation.

It’s a money business. And every year fans get a slap round the face as a reminder.

The only opportunity to change that destiny is to qualify for Europe (and even that may not be enough).

I love Emi - but he won’t be a Villa player come September.
True, sad to say.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2022, 07:07:14 PM »

I imagine, if he ever wants a move, he could act like a bell end :D

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2022, 07:07:18 PM »
Too many people i come in contact with seem to state their opinion as 'FACT'  these days, and not just on internet forums. I wish they'd just 'FACT' off.
it's the post-truth era, exemplified by Trump and Johnson

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2022, 10:24:06 PM »

How does that work for Small Heath.?

That is exactly my point. No reflected glory for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal