collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 398998 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #3375 on: January 31, 2023, 01:38:15 PM »
The club haven't tweeted in almost 24 hours. They've got something planned imo. They'll announce a big one.

Just a feeling I have.

Hope you're right. 8)

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #3376 on: January 31, 2023, 01:38:35 PM »
Bert is crocked.

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3377 on: January 31, 2023, 01:39:03 PM »
The club haven't tweeted in almost 24 hours. They've got something planned imo. They'll announce a big one.

Just a feeling I have.
No pinned tweet either

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #3378 on: January 31, 2023, 01:39:22 PM »
If Traore is being recalled, then that fixes the cover & competition issues up front. Don't get me wrong, its not ideal & making a marquee signing would be better to improve the whole squad, but if he is the six month fix, then I can live with that... But, & its a big 'but', if this is it for January, then next summer has to be a big one with several marquee signings. If not, then even the more relaxed amongst us about the current situation, like myself, will be questioning exactly where the owners are taking us. Although the last time I did that over at another forum, I got banned for fear of them losing access to a guy who loved to talk when things were going well, but not so much when they weren't...  ;D

This is it for me.  Emery has only had a couple of months here in terms of playing time, I am certain when he came he was told what backing he would have and is happy to keep his powder dry for now if it means he will be properly backed when the players he really wants are available.  A quiet window is fine this this time, but we should then be rightly pissed off if we don't really go for it ahead of next season.

Also, if we have re-added Bertie to the mix can we not also get Keinan Davis back?  To be honest, in Emery's system he would offer loads more than Ings did (putting aside his tendency to be made of papier mache).

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3379 on: January 31, 2023, 01:39:32 PM »
I'm guessing Traore coming back means our attempts to loan/buy a winger have failed.  He'll do as a back-up, but it's pretty underwhelming.

I know he's played up front before, but surely Unai isn't thinking he becomes the back-up to Watkins ahead of Duran?

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3380 on: January 31, 2023, 01:41:42 PM »
If Traore is being recalled, then that fixes the cover & competition issues up front. Don't get me wrong, its not ideal & making a marquee signing would be better to improve the whole squad, but if he is the six month fix, then I can live with that... But, & its a big 'but', if this is it for January, then next summer has to be a big one with several marquee signings. If not, then even the more relaxed amongst us about the current situation, like myself, will be questioning exactly where the owners are taking us. Although the last time I did that over at another forum, I got banned for fear of them losing access to a guy who loved to talk when things were going well, but not so much when they weren't...  ;D

This is it for me.  Emery has only had a couple of months here in terms of playing time, I am certain when he came he was told what backing he would have and is happy to keep his powder dry for now if it means he will be properly backed when the players he really wants are available.  A quiet window is fine this this time, but we should then be rightly pissed off if we don't really go for it ahead of next season.

Also, if we have re-added Bertie to the mix can we not also get Keinan Davis back?  To be honest, in Emery's system he would offer loads more than Ings did (putting aside his tendency to be made of papier mache).

On the Keinan front, I think if we brought him back to replace Ings this place would go into meltdown.  But on a more practical point, I don't believe there is a recall clause in any of our Championship loans.  They could terminate by mutual consent, but I suspect Watford would want paying for that, and paying to have our own player come back from a loan would be the most ridiculously Villa thing ever.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #3381 on: January 31, 2023, 01:44:42 PM »
Percy on Twitter
“Traore recall is an obvious solution for Emery, who had made a winger a priority this month. With prices for his targets v high, bringing a player back who is already contracted to the club makes sense so he can see him up close. Villa intend to do their main business in summer”

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3382 on: January 31, 2023, 01:44:47 PM »
I'm guessing Traore coming back means our attempts to loan/buy a winger have failed.  He'll do as a back-up, but it's pretty underwhelming.

I know he's played up front before, but surely Unai isn't thinking he becomes the back-up to Watkins ahead of Duran?

Backup to Bailey I'd say. Young/Cash will be hoping he doesn't have any defensive responsibilities on their side.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3383 on: January 31, 2023, 01:45:04 PM »
I'm in the "this is fucking shit" camp, for most of the reasons mentioned by others.

Liverpool and Chelsea won't be this shit next season.

Sure, but Brighton, Brentford and Fulham are unlikely to be this good either. Levels of hysteria on here are pretty wild lads, have to be honest
I haven't seen much hysteria.  I've seen a number of people a bit pissed off that we seem to be leaving ourselves very exposed in terms of squad depth and possibly missing a big opportunity for a really high league finish this season.  Kamara, Martinez and Luiz won't wait forever and finishing 10-12 isn't going to attract the next crop.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #3384 on: January 31, 2023, 01:47:24 PM »

On the Keinan front, I think if we brought him back to replace Ings this place would go into meltdown.  But on a more practical point, I don't believe there is a recall clause in any of our Championship loans.  They could terminate by mutual consent, but I suspect Watford would want paying for that, and paying to have our own player come back from a loan would be the most ridiculously Villa thing ever.

You're right, but if we could get him back and he was fit it wouldn't be the worst idea.  At his best he is a handful and retains possession well - we'd have had a far more comfortable game against Leeds with him up front than we did with Ings.  It's not that long ago that we wanted £10m+ for him off Forest, and a few Forest fans I know would have been more than happy for them to pay it.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3385 on: January 31, 2023, 01:48:00 PM »
Bert is crocked.

Is he? Seems weird they haven’t sent him back anyway if that’s the case.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #3386 on: January 31, 2023, 01:50:46 PM »
Percy on Twitter
“Traore recall is an obvious solution for Emery, who had made a winger a priority this month. With prices for his targets v high, bringing a player back who is already contracted to the club makes sense so he can see him up close. Villa intend to do their main business in summer”

Next window, eh. Who'd have thought.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3387 on: January 31, 2023, 01:52:10 PM »
Percy on Twitter

Kick that can down the road again.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #3388 on: January 31, 2023, 01:53:20 PM »
Percy on Twitter

Kick that can down the road again.

We'll win later..

We don't need him back - he's overcoming a "serious" knee injury, not idea what he would offer over the next 3 or 4 months. He was plagued with hamstring and groin issues leading up to his loan. This is a total letdown.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:56:27 PM by villadelph »

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #3389 on: January 31, 2023, 01:54:54 PM »
Traore back from Turkey tweets John Percy

… I’m a bit slow

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal