collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:23:16 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:23:00 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:13:21 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by LeeB
[Today at 09:10:31 PM]

Snooker by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:09:41 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by FatSam
[Today at 08:58:23 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 08:42:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:23:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:23:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 09:20:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 09:17:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:17:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:13:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:13:21 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by LeeB
[Today at 09:10:31 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399636 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #3330 on: January 31, 2023, 12:57:32 PM »
And Newcastle spent £45m on an average Newcastle winger. Bournemouth and Wolves have lashed out some money mind you.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3331 on: January 31, 2023, 12:57:54 PM »
If anyone believes this was all part of the plan at the start of the window then they’re kidding themselves.  Something has gone very much awry.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3332 on: January 31, 2023, 12:58:18 PM »
And Newcastle spent £45m on an average Newcastle winger. Bournemouth and Wolves have lashed out some money mind you.

They’re that rich they buy their own players.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3333 on: January 31, 2023, 12:58:23 PM »
I'll add that I'm disappointed we haven't signed more, but there's no point getting in a tizz about it, we're clearly a good opportunity, and we're heading the right way. Out of all the players that have moved this window, are there many you'd have liked us to go for that would form part of the medium-long term?

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #3334 on: January 31, 2023, 12:58:53 PM »
Maybe part of the plan now is to open up a clear pathway for some of our FA Youth Cup winners and prospects? If, (big "if" I know), come season's end, we finish top 7-10 having blooded several youngsters in the process, I genuinely would be delighted. I'd find that much more satisfying than achieving the same with overpriced winter window buys.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #3335 on: January 31, 2023, 12:59:16 PM »

They’re that rich they buy their own players.

Of course, sitting in the bottom three and just above probably makes a club that much more desperate to buy.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #3336 on: January 31, 2023, 12:59:37 PM »
This is all rather underwhelming and contrary to what a lot of us thought would happen in this window.

It's almost as if the club feel that enough has been done with the recent league results to keep us out of trouble and that will do for this season. Maybe it will, but a lack of number and depth is a very odd approach.

Also there are 18 games left. If we weren't shipping out players I could almost understand waiting for next summer, but we have had ages eying up targets. Also, we should make some progression whilst there is some momentum. Who's to say the summer window will be the panacea and result in bigger progress?

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #3337 on: January 31, 2023, 01:00:18 PM »
If anyone believes this was all part of the plan at the start of the window then they’re kidding themselves.  Something has gone very much awry.

So you think they have screwed the man the owner himself went out and appointed as manager?

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #3338 on: January 31, 2023, 01:02:51 PM »
Yet to see a Sky reporter at BH, not a great sign.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #3339 on: January 31, 2023, 01:03:17 PM »
Maybe part of the plan now is to open up a clear pathway for some of our FA Youth Cup winners and prospects? If, (big "if" I know), come season's end, we finish top 7-10 having blooded several youngsters in the process, I genuinely would be delighted. I'd find that much more satisfying than achieving the same with overpriced winter window buys.

If that were the plan, then it wouldn't really make sense to send the most obvious contender for the first team, who plays in the position that we are weakest to Middlesbrough for the rest of the season.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3340 on: January 31, 2023, 01:03:42 PM »
He said he wanted a winger and another forward.  He’s got neither.  I’d say somethings gone wrong.  Edit I’m not counting Duran.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #3341 on: January 31, 2023, 01:04:19 PM »

When we got promoted, did you really, honestly, think that four years on we wouldn't have a squad good enough for top half?

Not at all. We've got some of the richest owners in world football, and one of the most highly regarded managers too. Yet apparently we should be content to finish behind the likes of Brentford, Brighton and Fulham. But don't worry, it will all magically be sorted at some unspecified point in the future.

The manager has only been around for a couple of months though. Before that they fucked up royally and a whole year was wasted.

So now they've decided to waste the second half of this season as well, and give Emery almost Remi Garde levels of backing.

Well we don’t know that. If it’s to be believed that he now holds the keys to our transfer decisions and strategy then it’s possible he just doesn’t want anyone and would rather wait until the summer. Seems ludicrous to leave ourselves this short either way.

I find it really hard to believe Emery told them he just wants one experienced striker in the squad, so yeah, go ahead and sell our top scorer.

He also went on the record as saying he wanted a wide player.

I’m not saying that you’re wrong on any of that. But I can imagine him saying Ings doesn’t fit what he’s trying to do and get specific targets in if we can. I’m guessing the Ings offer came in earlier than expected and it was too good to turn down. What I doubt is that they somehow blocked getting players he actually wanted. Or the players he wanted were priced stupidly because it’s January and collectively they agreed not to pull the trigger now.

I’m sorry but £15m for our top scorer isn’t sufficiently big of a fee to play half a season with one senior striker.

For sake of argument, Ings stays and spends the rest of this season on the bench - unless Watkins gets injured (and even then I think Emery would have his doubts about putting Ings in given his performances against Stevenage and Leeds) he isn't getting any game time. Plus, don't forget he knacked himself in his first game for West Ham so isn't necessarily a reliable bench option either.

In the summer we then get no interest in him, and we are stuck with a 4th or 5th choice, 31yo player earning £140k+ a week.  As a result we have less to spend directly on first choices, and less room in the budget for salaries setting us back next season.

Sometimes life isn't perfect.  Of all the decisions we have made in our recent history, moving Ings on for £15m verges on a stroke of genius.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #3342 on: January 31, 2023, 01:06:59 PM »

If that were the plan, then it wouldn't really make sense to send the most obvious contender for the first team, who plays in the position that we are weakest to Middlesbrough for the rest of the season.

Fair point!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3343 on: January 31, 2023, 01:07:11 PM »
We’ll see the genius of it if Watkins gets injured.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #3344 on: January 31, 2023, 01:07:29 PM »
I think some of the narrative around Ings has changed on here since a lack of signings looked an ever more realistic scenario. Its now selling ‘our top scorer’ thats being mentioned a lot. Whilst it may be factually correct that Ings was our top scorer, he (a) hasnt scored very many in his time with us and (b) looked a bit past it most of the time and (c) didnt seem to fit Emerys preferred style of play. And is now crocked anyway.

I think its a shame we dont look like we are getting anyone in and its in the lap of the Gods in regards to Watkins staying injury free, but i also dont think retaining Ings, would of made a big difference to how this season pans out. Might be wrong on that of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal