collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399562 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #3315 on: January 31, 2023, 12:34:21 PM »
We were looking at incremental improvements, and a lot of that was due to FFP constraints having been in the Championship. Now we're up, and safely up, I believe we have more scope to go for it. Looks like it's further 6 month wait though.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3316 on: January 31, 2023, 12:34:35 PM »
rumours that man city looking at lucas digne on loan to replace cancelo...

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #3317 on: January 31, 2023, 12:35:58 PM »
Also, we have spent around £26 million in this window - that's more than over half of the teams in the Premier League have spent.  For years we have been saying that we need signings who are going to come in and improve the first team, relegating current regulars to the bench.  We finally seem to have a plan to do that and still some want us to fill the bench with squad fillers again - it's unsustainable. 

In a 22 player squad there are always 7 or 8 who are never going to get much playing time (especially with no cup involvement).  With a potential first team squad of 16-18 senior pros (which we have), this is a good chance for some of the youngsters to get matchday experience at Premier League level. Presumably next season they can then go out on loan at a good level with that experience behind them, and some of this year's loanees come back in a realistic position to start challenging for a first team place alongside the better quality signings we'll be looking to make in the summer.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3318 on: January 31, 2023, 12:36:14 PM »

When we got promoted, did you really, honestly, think that four years on we wouldn't have a squad good enough for top half?

Not at all. We've got some of the richest owners in world football, and one of the most highly regarded managers too. Yet apparently we should be content to finish behind the likes of Brentford, Brighton and Fulham. But don't worry, it will all magically be sorted at some unspecified point in the future.

The manager has only been around for a couple of months though. Before that they fucked up royally and a whole year was wasted.

So now they've decided to waste the second half of this season as well, and give Emery almost Remi Garde levels of backing.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3319 on: January 31, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »
Well going into the second half of the season with one senior striker is verging on a fuck up for me.

Agreed. As well as no decent back-up to Martinez.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3320 on: January 31, 2023, 12:41:29 PM »

When we got promoted, did you really, honestly, think that four years on we wouldn't have a squad good enough for top half?

Not at all. We've got some of the richest owners in world football, and one of the most highly regarded managers too. Yet apparently we should be content to finish behind the likes of Brentford, Brighton and Fulham. But don't worry, it will all magically be sorted at some unspecified point in the future.

The manager has only been around for a couple of months though. Before that they fucked up royally and a whole year was wasted.

So now they've decided to waste the second half of this season as well, and give Emery almost Remi Garde levels of backing.

Well we don’t know that. If it’s to be believed that he now holds the keys to our transfer decisions and strategy then it’s possible he just doesn’t want anyone and would rather wait until the summer. Seems ludicrous to leave ourselves this short either way.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3321 on: January 31, 2023, 12:43:34 PM »

Well we don’t know that. If it’s to be believed that he now holds the keys to our transfer decisions and strategy then it’s possible he just doesn’t want anyone and would rather wait until the summer. Seems ludicrous to leave ourselves this short either way.

I find it really hard to believe Emery told them he just wants one experienced striker in the squad, so yeah, go ahead and sell our top scorer.

He also went on the record as saying he wanted a wide player.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #3322 on: January 31, 2023, 12:46:28 PM »

I find it really hard to believe Emery told them he just wants one experienced striker in the squad, so yeah, go ahead and sell our top scorer.

I’m not saying that you’re wrong on any of that. But I can imagine him saying Ings doesn’t fit what he’s trying to do and get specific targets in if we can. I’m guessing the Ings offer came in earlier than expected and it was too good to turn down. What I doubt is that they somehow blocked getting players he actually wanted. Or the players he wanted were priced stupidly because it’s January and collectively they agreed not to pull the trigger now.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 12:48:18 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #3323 on: January 31, 2023, 12:47:06 PM »
I'll say it loud for those at the back: nobody wants us to go out and buy squad fillers, we anticipated additions who would strengthen us.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #3324 on: January 31, 2023, 12:50:03 PM »
I'll say it loud for those at the back: nobody wants us to go out and buy squad fillers, we anticipated additions who would strengthen us.

But you can't make them come if they're not available!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3325 on: January 31, 2023, 12:51:04 PM »

I’m not saying that you’re wrong on any of that. But I can imagine him saying Ings doesn’t fit what he’s trying to do and get specific targets in if we can. I’m guessing the Ings offer came in earlier than expected and it was too good to turn down. What I doubt is that they somehow blocked getting players he actually wanted. Or the players he wanted were priced stupidly because it’s January and collectively they agreed not to pull the trigger now.

I’m sorry but £15m for our top scorer isn’t sufficiently big of a fee to play half a season with one senior striker.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #3326 on: January 31, 2023, 12:52:59 PM »
£15m for a 30yr on likely a big contract is a good deal. I imagine the club thought they’d have plenty of time to get someone else in. I’m not saying the timing was right because you’d like your replacements lined up. That’s not the conversation here.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #3327 on: January 31, 2023, 12:55:10 PM »

But you can't make them come if they're not available!

Agreed. So you don't sell your highest goalscorer and loan out your 3rd choice striker without quality replacements being guaranteed

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3328 on: January 31, 2023, 12:55:47 PM »

Well you've no idea on that. The fact we've spent £14m(?) on a 29 year old left back and £16m(?) on a 19 year old would suggest otherwise.

We've been rumoured to be after some real quality, it appears that either they don't want to come, or their cluibs won't release them. Of course we could have gone back to Marseille and said we'd give them £100m for Guendozi but that wouldn't have been prudent.

You only have to look at the Caicedo situation; there's no way he's worth £70m but that is what Brighton turned down, and said he wasn't for sale. Clubs don't have to accept the money. There's only Chelsea who have splashed the cash, and that's crazy in itself.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3329 on: January 31, 2023, 12:57:19 PM »
£15m for a 30yr on likely a big contract is a good deal. I imagine the club thought they’d have plenty of time to get someone else in. I’m not saying the timing was right because you’d like your replacements lined up. That’s not the conversation here.

It's not like he'd have been worth nothing had he stayed until the end of the year. Even if his fee had reduced to £8m-£10m, that's still decent money. £15m (and even that's with add ons) surely isn't that high a figure in the grand scheme of things that it was worth losing our only back up striker?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal