collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Dreams and Superstitions by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 11:18:42 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:09:02 PM]

NSWE Investment by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:57:51 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:55:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:57 PM]

Claret membership by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:08 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by trinityoap
[Today at 10:32:41 PM]

Champions League Contention by Bad English
[Today at 10:22:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399687 times)

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2955 on: January 30, 2023, 11:30:44 AM »
Many of those deals were Suso’s though weren’t they?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2956 on: January 30, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »
We should have 4 defenders on the bench - Carlos, Digne, Chambers & either Cash or Young, that is not too bad

The only players we should be signing are good enough to go straight into the first eleven - we don't need anymore squad fillers

Not sure on that. It would be good to have a forward off the bench who can keep our tempo up for last 20 minutes rather than just sitting back.

Ings wasn't that type but he did come on v Wolves when we were terrible for first hour and scored and should've set up a winner with a wonderful pass.

I think it's naïve to expect Duran to come in and hit the ground running straight away. He'll need time but you can see it now. 1-0 down to Leicester with 20 minutes left and he's put on and people assuming he'll just turn the game around. We'll see on him.

Only other option is Coutinho and that's just based on reputation rather than how he's generally played for us since April. Not someone who can press at all these days.

I reckon we'd have signed someone by now if we were still in the FA cup. I still expect a new attacker in next 30 hours.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2957 on: January 30, 2023, 11:36:19 AM »
Not sure Lange has been much better.

Talk of us being in the loan market now. If we pulled Ziyech on loan and Dembele out of the bag before the deadline, would that be enough?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2958 on: January 30, 2023, 11:38:31 AM »

Talk of us being in the loan market now. If we pulled Ziyech on loan and Dembele out of the bag before the deadline, would that be enough?

Absolutely fine, until the summer.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2959 on: January 30, 2023, 11:41:35 AM »

Yep can't see how people would complain. Dembele hit 20 goals in French league just last season so immediately that's more proven than MLS and he's played for Fulham and Celtic on these shores so would have no problem to adapt.

Watkins, Dembele, Duran for CF for last 18 games is more than fine.

Ziyech not done much at Chelsea but talented player to put into the area behind the CF.

Personally I think someone who'd be an amazing fit in our system would be Pulisic. I assume Chelsea aren't interested in loaning him but got to think he's reaching the end of his time there with the endless players they're signing so him and Conor Gallagher could be summer transfer options if we were to make 7th.

Edit: Broja has a bad injury currently but he probably fits profile for what we want at CF...early 20s, targetman and someone with regular games could hit 10-15 so get the feeling we could've made a move if he hadn't done his ACL against us in Dubai.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 11:44:34 AM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2960 on: January 30, 2023, 11:46:27 AM »

Absolutely fine, until the summer.

Yes, that would be more than acceptable.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2961 on: January 30, 2023, 11:52:48 AM »
We can’t leave this window without improving our midfield and attacking options. Be it permanent or loans. And they need to be players that are genuine first team starting options not squad options. I am sure there is going to be quite a number of players added in the summer and if we get the right players in then, that’s fine. But the types of player we might attract improves markedly if we are playing in Europe next season. I don’t want us to miss out on the opportunity of qualifying this season.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #2962 on: January 30, 2023, 11:54:38 AM »
Every club's hit to shit ratio is mixed (apart from perfect Brighton).

they've bought their fair share of shit too. Jahankabash, Maupay etc.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2963 on: January 30, 2023, 12:18:08 PM »
We can’t leave this window without improving our midfield and attacking options. Be it permanent or loans. And they need to be players that are genuine first team starting options not squad options. I am sure there is going to be quite a number of players added in the summer and if we get the right players in then, that’s fine. But the types of player we might attract improves markedly if we are playing in Europe next season. I don’t want us to miss out on the opportunity of qualifying this season.

Midfield is fine.

Kamara + Luiz is doing well. Can drop Ramsey back there if needs be and I presume McGinn is back in next few weeks. Dendoncker cost us in FA cup but he also started v Man. United and Brentford (our two best attacking performances of the season).

5 options for 2/3 seems enough to me.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #2964 on: January 30, 2023, 12:19:06 PM »
Last thing we need is the Europa league next season. Season after, yes, but it would kill us next season for little reward. I want us to finish as high as possible obviously, but we are out of both cups and only have 1 game per week. Running a small squad for that period is not as mad as it seems, especially if it allows Emery to really work with the group and work out exactly what we need in the summer.
2 thumbs up from me

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2965 on: January 30, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »

Midfield is fine.

Kamara + Luiz is doing well. Can drop Ramsey back there if needs be and I presume McGinn is back in next few weeks. Dendoncker cost us in FA cup but he also started v Man. United and Brentford (our two best attacking performances of the season).

See I don’t think the midfield is fine. While we’ve done well recently been overrun vs Leeds and weren’t exactly convincing vs Southampton. I’m not saying it won’t do but if there is a way to improve what is around Kamara then I want us to do it. We just might need to wait until the summer but Luiz, JJ, McGinn, Dendoncker can all be improved upon. And I know they are a little more attacking but not out and out strikers, Coutinho and Bailey can certainly be improved upon.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2966 on: January 30, 2023, 12:27:39 PM »
Last thing we need is the Europa league next season. Season after, yes, but it would kill us next season for little reward. I want us to finish as high as possible obviously, but we are out of both cups and only have 1 game per week. Running a small squad for that period is not as mad as it seems, especially if it allows Emery to really work with the group and work out exactly what we need in the summer.

2 thumbs up from me

For me, qualifying for Europe can NEVER be a bad thing. Sure, we would definitely struggle playing twice a week with our current squad, but it would mean more revenue, better sponsorship and therefore more and better players coming through the door. Then there are the Villa Park European nights under the lights. Plus, Unai has a knack for winning the whole bloody thing.  How could you NOT want that?

The whole "Jam tomorrow" philosophy is one that never, ever pays off where Villa are concerned.

I want us to qualify for European, strengthen significantly in the summer with Europe to dangle under the noses of prospective recruits, and then fight on all four fronts next season.  I realise this is completely unrealistic, and Europe is very unlikely, but I absolutely want it, in the same way I want Villa to win every single game they play.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2967 on: January 30, 2023, 12:28:55 PM »

Midfield is fine.

See I don’t think the midfield is fine. While we’ve done well recently been overrun vs Leeds and weren’t exactly convincing vs Southampton. I’m not saying it won’t do but if there is a way to improve what is around Kamara then I want us to do it. We just might need to wait until the summer but Luiz, JJ, McGinn, Dendoncker can all be improved upon. And I know they are a little more attacking but not out and out strikers, Coutinho and Bailey can certainly be improved upon.

I'd certainly take Guendouzi....just not instead of any attacking options this window.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2968 on: January 30, 2023, 12:30:40 PM »
Two to three players this window, all nicely bedded in by the end of the season, then 2-3 more in the summer transfer window and you've got a squad capable of competing in the league and Europe. Get nobody now then you have to do it all in one go.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2969 on: January 30, 2023, 12:31:28 PM »
Every club's hit to shit ratio is mixed (apart from perfect Brighton).

they've bought their fair share of shit too. Jahankabash, Maupay etc.

Indeed, they also spent the best part of £30m on Undav, Sima, Kozlowski in the last year. Yes, "who?" I hear you ask.  Brighton do above averagely well in the transfer market, definitely - but this idea that they don't also sign plenty of players that don't work out is a myth.  Every club buys duds. And every club's fans think they buy more than their fair share of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal