collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 08:55:36 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by brontebilly
[Today at 08:55:16 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by LeeB
[Today at 08:52:49 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by brontebilly
[Today at 08:51:05 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 08:43:12 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 08:42:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 08:41:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399617 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2820 on: January 29, 2023, 06:20:29 PM »
Aye, our central midfield options are fine - for the most part. I never viewed Sideshow Bob at Marseille as a priority. If there's a deal to be done, fine. But we shouldn't be panicked into owt.

Up top Ollie has no excuse now as he's the main man again for the foreseeable. Duran has the opportunity to grab a few sub appearances between now and the end if the season - and maybe start a few, if he shows enough promise (I'd have been happy enough with Dembele as cover but he could be after crazy money with his contract situation).

We are light on wide options to stretch teams though, as Buendia and Coutinho aren't those sort of players. Ramsey as a stop gap, maybe. But it's a waste having him out there.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2821 on: January 29, 2023, 06:21:10 PM »
I'm usually the first to want us to sign people and see us move forward, but there are a couple of things that makes me very relaxed at the moment. Firstly, we have 2 players across the back 4, from the end of Feb with Carlos returning. We were never likely to replace Olsen in Jan either, so shrug on that one until the summer. But it means at the back we are well covered. In central midfield we have Kamara, Luiz, Dendonker, McGinn and Ramsey if need. So we'll be OK without Guendouzi till the summer if it saves £10-15m waiting it out. Out wide we have Ramsey, McGinn in the Emery world, Buendia and Coutinho, plus Young if need be. So reasonably covered in the current formation. Up top we have Watkins, Bailey and Duran, which is light, and could do with a body ideally, but you don't want to pay big wages and Watkins start every game till the end. We might get 3-4 bad injuries and be screwed, but the club seems to actually be acting like it knows who and what they want in each position for once, and are happy to execute that in time. Emery is clearly driving that conversation too.

The biggest problem with this is it’s a well thought out and considered opinion
I’ve got no time for reading sensible posts like this especially at this stage in the transfer window

Now can you please get back to worrying and fretting like the rest of us

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2822 on: January 29, 2023, 06:26:28 PM »
Is there any truth in links to Jack Harrison or more his agent trying to get a new deal for him? For 20m or so he would be a good punt.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2823 on: January 29, 2023, 06:29:35 PM »
I'm usually the first to want us to sign people and see us move forward, but there are a couple of things that makes me very relaxed at the moment. Firstly, we have 2 players across the back 4, from the end of Feb with Carlos returning. We were never likely to replace Olsen in Jan either, so shrug on that one until the summer. But it means at the back we are well covered. In central midfield we have Kamara, Luiz, Dendonker, McGinn and Ramsey if need. So we'll be OK without Guendouzi till the summer if it saves £10-15m waiting it out. Out wide we have Ramsey, McGinn in the Emery world, Buendia and Coutinho, plus Young if need be. So reasonably covered in the current formation. Up top we have Watkins, Bailey and Duran, which is light, and could do with a body ideally, but you don't want to pay big wages and Watkins start every game till the end. We might get 3-4 bad injuries and be screwed, but the club seems to actually be acting like it knows who and what they want in each position for once, and are happy to execute that in time. Emery is clearly driving that conversation too.

The biggest problem with this is it’s a well thought out and considered opinion
I’ve got no time for reading sensible posts like this especially at this stage in the transfer window

Now can you please get back to worrying and fretting like the rest of us
Yes this seems totally sensible.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2824 on: January 29, 2023, 06:32:30 PM »
The other thing is, not many players have gone elsewhere that have made me think... Ooo should have had him.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2825 on: January 29, 2023, 06:39:42 PM »

I'm with you mate

It’s more the opportunity to really push on that is at risk. I’m not saying that it’s spurned if we don’t sign anyone. But we will all look back and wonder if we shouldn’t have gone for it and we slip up late on. We are in touching distance of Europe and it’s not just about possible injuries. It’s more about quality and depth. When you go into a PL game with two keepers that’s a real sign that we need to add quality bodies. Now, the goor thing is we have a super manager so I have faith he will make the very best irrespective of who he has to work with. And he’s brought back some of the players on loan to study and use. But while it’s not the end of the world it would be negligent not to invest from what has turned into a surprisingly very positive position given our start and our recent run.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 06:42:03 PM by Toronto Villa »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2826 on: January 29, 2023, 06:40:53 PM »
Is there any truth in links to Jack Harrison or more his agent trying to get a new deal for him? For 20m or so he would be a good punt.

I've always liked Harrison but think we need a goalscorer more. Both Ollie and Bailey can play wide.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2827 on: January 29, 2023, 06:43:08 PM »

Given he's about half as good as the winger we have on loan in Turkey, about three-quarters as good as the winger we sold to PSV in the summer because we didn't want him, and about half as good as the sort of player you could buy from the continent for £10m, why on earth would spending £20m on a player who isn't good enough for Leeds be a good punt?

Short of buying Ings back for £8m more than we just received, I can't think of a worse way to spend £20m to be honest.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2828 on: January 29, 2023, 06:43:11 PM »
I like Harrison, if that’s the winger we’re in for I’d be happy with him.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2829 on: January 29, 2023, 06:45:58 PM »

Given he's about half as good as the winger we have on loan in Turkey, about three-quarters as good as the winger we sold to PSV in the summer because we didn't want him, and about half as good as the sort of player you could buy from the continent for £10m, why on earth would spending £20m on a player who isn't good enough for Leeds be a good punt?

Short of buying Ings back for £8m more than we just received, I can't think of a worse way to spend £20m to be honest.
m
He was excellent for a while, has he fallen out of favour with them then?

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2830 on: January 29, 2023, 06:59:09 PM »

Agree, Chmapionship winger.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2831 on: January 29, 2023, 07:01:21 PM »
Nonsense

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2832 on: January 29, 2023, 07:02:10 PM »
Harrison would be at best a 'more of the same sort of level' signing. Pointless.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2833 on: January 29, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »
I like Harrison, if that’s the winger we’re in for I’d be happy with him.
Yeah but he would be cup tied.. oh wait

Offline ventnorVillain

« Reply #2834 on: January 29, 2023, 07:06:49 PM »
There's going to be some wet beds come Tuesday if we don't sign anyone tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal