collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 396775 times)

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2835 on: January 29, 2023, 07:07:52 PM »
Nonsense

Sorry typo, Championship winger.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2836 on: January 29, 2023, 07:10:15 PM »
I am torn - I think we’re light on numbers but don’t want us to get in people for the point of it.  A loan or two would be good - we just can’t leave ourselves this light as the league is tight and a Watkins injury could mean we’re 2020 leaves of being fucked

Also - unless we can get Phil to play well regularly we basically have a lot resting on Beundia.  And if Bailey gets injuried or his dad grounds him we have no pace

So a couple of loans needed at the least - which is probably why they they sent our two loans back

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2837 on: January 29, 2023, 07:12:08 PM »
Is there any truth in links to Jack Harrison or more his agent trying to get a new deal for him? For 20m or so he would be a good punt.

Given he's about half as good as the winger we have on loan in Turkey, about three-quarters as good as the winger we sold to PSV in the summer because we didn't want him, and about half as good as the sort of player you could buy from the continent for £10m, why on earth would spending £20m on a player who isn't good enough for Leeds be a good punt?

Short of buying Ings back for £8m more than we just received, I can't think of a worse way to spend £20m to be honest.
m
He was excellent for a while, has he fallen out of favour with them then?

Leeds are a 13th-18th squad and are trying to get better by signing better players than Harrison.

We're a 9th-14th squad, so should be signing better players than the teams who aren't as good as us are trying to improve upon. 

(I accept that there are exceptions to this rule, and players fit into systems etc. But Harrison coming to Villa isn't one of them)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2838 on: January 29, 2023, 07:16:21 PM »
I think Harrison's a very talented player, maybe hasn't pushed-on as much as was expected but I'd have him ahead of the wingers we've farmed-out or sold.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2839 on: January 29, 2023, 07:28:15 PM »
Is there any truth in links to Jack Harrison or more his agent trying to get a new deal for him? For 20m or so he would be a good punt.

Given he's about half as good as the winger we have on loan in Turkey, about three-quarters as good as the winger we sold to PSV in the summer because we didn't want him, and about half as good as the sort of player you could buy from the continent for £10m, why on earth would spending £20m on a player who isn't good enough for Leeds be a good punt?

Short of buying Ings back for £8m more than we just received, I can't think of a worse way to spend £20m to be honest.

16 PL goals in open play over last two seasons would suggest Harrison is a fair bit better than either Trez or AEG. Send on a list of players "from the continent" that you could get for 10m instead.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #2840 on: January 29, 2023, 07:29:56 PM »

I've always liked Harrison but think we need a goalscorer more. Both Ollie and Bailey can play wide.

Ollie can't let's be honest...it's been tried and tried.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2841 on: January 29, 2023, 07:34:17 PM »
Harrison is one in a very long line of wingers who have a good 12-18months and then people work them out and they become increasingly less effective. At 26 he should be coming into his prime rather than struggling to start for a team in the relegation battle. He'd be a similar mistake to Barkley for me.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #2842 on: January 29, 2023, 07:34:35 PM »

I've always liked Harrison but think we need a goalscorer more. Both Ollie and Bailey can play wide.

He certainly can’t play wide whilst also playing down the middle. Our first choice striker can’t simultaneously be our wide cover.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2843 on: January 29, 2023, 07:38:54 PM »

Couldn't agree more. He can drift wide as part of his striker's movement repertoire, but a winger is a different animal.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2844 on: January 29, 2023, 07:40:23 PM »

Couldn't agree more. He can drift wide as part of his striker's movement repertoire, but a winger is a different animal.

It's a bit like using Cash as a winger, yes he's played there in the past but it was only when they changed position that either of them looked premier league quality.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2845 on: January 29, 2023, 07:42:34 PM »
I’d go back for Sarr.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2846 on: January 29, 2023, 07:46:12 PM »
There's going to be some wet beds come Tuesday if we don't sign anyone tomorrow.

Put your nappy on and you'll be fine.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2847 on: January 29, 2023, 07:59:14 PM »
A winger, forward and CM. Starting quality not squad players. I think we are good everywhere else for now

I think CM can wait until the summer although who knows with Guendouzi if he's getting subbed at half time.

Luiz-Kamara is doing very well currently, Ramsey can be dropped back there if needs be, McGinn will be back soon and FA cup horror show aside, Dendoncker has been decent in his premier league games.

5 for 2/3 positions is solid enough.

Think it will be just the one attacking signing now.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #2848 on: January 29, 2023, 08:00:15 PM »
Harrison is one in a very long line of wingers who have a good 12-18months and then people work them out and they become increasingly less effective. At 26 he should be coming into his prime rather than struggling to start for a team in the relegation battle. He'd be a similar mistake to Barkley for me.

Harrison has started 17 out of 19 games so still a regular there. The emergence of Gnoto seems to have moved him away from his favoured spot on left wing. No comparison to Barkley who was in semi retirement for a few seasons before he joined us. Harrison is a very durable sort with the amount of games he managed under the likes of Bielsa across two divisions.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2849 on: January 29, 2023, 08:04:32 PM »
There's going to be some wet beds come Tuesday if we don't sign anyone tomorrow.

Put your nappy on and you'll be fine.

If you're happy in your nappy, clap your hands.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal