collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Snooker by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:32:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:29:15 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:23:16 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:13:21 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by LeeB
[Today at 09:10:31 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by FatSam
[Today at 08:58:23 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by eamonn
[Today at 08:50:37 PM]

The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Rotterdam
[Today at 08:42:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Snooker by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:32:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:29:15 PM]

[Today at 09:25:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 09:25:11 PM]

Re: VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:23:16 PM]

[Today at 09:23:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 09:20:41 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 09:17:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399644 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #735 on: December 29, 2022, 02:24:36 PM »
I hate to say it but for the next couple of season we should swallow our pride and accept a role as facilitators for the world’s best.  position ourselves as a good home for “Real Madrid” misfits and youngsters that cannot get games. Or a bigger Leicester where the world’s best come for a year or two before joining …Barca or whoever.

we need to think differently, otherwise we’re just another club in the ‘who is the richest’ queue.
And that would get us absolutely nowhere.

First we need to consistently be above West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle and Everton.  Once there, we can make better plans and target Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and whoever is having a blip between Liverpool, Man U and Man City.   
and you think us being a feeder club for misfits and maybes is the way to get there.

I bet Arsenal are really upset with how Ødegaard is doing for them.
which has nothing to do with my comment.

How do you work that out then?

He's precisely the sort of "Real Madrid misfits and youngsters" that you'd be dopily rejecting.
We obviously have a different interpretation of Dante's post.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #736 on: December 29, 2022, 02:25:50 PM »
I'd love a player like Jota at Villa, although I doubt they'd let him go. Losing Mané has properly buggered them and I think they seem Jota as one of the first choices when fit. I think he's injured until February anyway.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #737 on: December 29, 2022, 02:32:11 PM »
Plus he still dreams of Wolves in his sleep. Avoid.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #738 on: December 29, 2022, 02:35:55 PM »
I hate to say it but for the next couple of season we should swallow our pride and accept a role as facilitators for the world’s best.  position ourselves as a good home for “Real Madrid” misfits and youngsters that cannot get games. Or a bigger Leicester where the world’s best come for a year or two before joining …Barca or whoever.

we need to think differently, otherwise we’re just another club in the ‘who is the richest’ queue.

First we need to consistently be above West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle and Everton.  Once there, we can make better plans and target Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and whoever is having a blip between Liverpool, Man U and Man City.   
and you think us being a feeder club for misfits and maybes is the way to get there.

He's precisely the sort of "Real Madrid misfits and youngsters" that you'd be dopily rejecting.

Go on then, how are you interpreting it?

I'm guessing that a 22 year old that Real Madrid kept farming out on loan to various countries and then wanted rid of, only for him to become very successful in the Premier League is exactly the sort of thing he has in mind.

Which sort of player do you reckon Dante is suggesting we should sign?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #739 on: December 29, 2022, 02:40:25 PM »

I'm guessing that a 22 year old that Real Madrid kept farming out on loan to various countries and then wanted rid of, only for him to become very successful in the Premier League is exactly the sort of thing he has in mind.

Dave, this might be sport for you but I think I will leave it there.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #740 on: December 29, 2022, 04:14:54 PM »
Dave wins, Chicago retired from the bout

Online Dave

« Reply #741 on: December 29, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »
But it's one of those "tennis players quits after one set with a slightly twisted ankle" rather than "boxer forced off with blood gushing from a massive cut on his forehead" ones.

Bit unsatisfying really.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #742 on: December 29, 2022, 04:26:45 PM »
Can someone explain to me how Chelsea have signed three players when the window isn’t even open yet?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #743 on: December 29, 2022, 04:33:06 PM »
Can someone explain to me how Chelsea have signed three players when the window isn’t even open yet?

They can’t play them before the window is open and they are fully registered. It’s like Liverpool with Gakpo.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #744 on: December 29, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
One of which being a 22-goals-in-24-games (albeit for Molde) striker costing only £11m?

Online Dave

« Reply #745 on: December 29, 2022, 04:38:19 PM »

By not actually officially signing them yet.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #746 on: December 29, 2022, 08:41:22 PM »

For what it’s worth, Dave has understood my post.  We need to do something different other than outbidding our nearest rivals all the tine as that isn’t sustainable and increases the likelihood that we end up like Everton.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 08:43:59 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #747 on: December 29, 2022, 08:49:34 PM »
When the seagulls follow the trawler.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #748 on: December 29, 2022, 11:17:34 PM »

Can see where CL is coming from though Dave.  It doesn't really give you stability if you are heavily relying on loan players and young upcoming players.  One or two of those type of players maybe, but I think we would need a solid squad in place to support them. 

What we haven't done well for some time now is using the money we have got in when our best players are inevitably sold to bring in adequate replacements. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:36:43 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #749 on: December 29, 2022, 11:18:28 PM »
When the seagulls follow the trawler.

Their manager gets eaten by Lions.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal