collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399605 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #720 on: December 28, 2022, 11:48:38 PM »
I'd tap up the likes of Harvey Barnes or Hudson Odoi. I think we need a ball carrier on the opposite flank to Bailey. Or perhaps look at some sort of loan for Jaydon Sancho to give him game time.
 I was reading the article about Dean Saunders in the Liverpool programme what stuck with me was when it said we were 11th when he joined a few weeks later we were 3rd. A quick way to jump up the league

Barnes would be a good signing if we could prise him away from Leicester.  I would also look at trying to get Tammy Abraham.  Think he would be coming back to England with a point to prove and to a club that he knows.  Not top quality at this point, but could be over the next couple of years and is the type of forward we need.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #721 on: December 29, 2022, 04:27:25 AM »
I hate to say it but for the next couple of season we should swallow our pride and accept a role as facilitators for the world’s best.  position ourselves as a good home for “Real Madrid” misfits and youngsters that cannot get games. Or a bigger Leicester where the world’s best come for a year or two before joining …Barca or whoever.

we need to think differently, otherwise we’re just another club in the ‘who is the richest’ queue.
And that would get us absolutely nowhere.

First we need to consistently be above West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle and Everton.  Once there, we can make better plans and target Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and whoever is having a blip between Liverpool, Man U and Man City.   

Not sure Leicester had this mindset a few years ago

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #722 on: December 29, 2022, 07:12:33 AM »
I hate to say it but for the next couple of season we should swallow our pride and accept a role as facilitators for the world’s best.  position ourselves as a good home for “Real Madrid” misfits and youngsters that cannot get games. Or a bigger Leicester where the world’s best come for a year or two before joining …Barca or whoever.

we need to think differently, otherwise we’re just another club in the ‘who is the richest’ queue.

First we need to consistently be above West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle and Everton.  Once there, we can make better plans and target Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and whoever is having a blip between Liverpool, Man U and Man City.   
and you think us being a feeder club for misfits and maybes is the way to get there.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #723 on: December 29, 2022, 09:10:05 AM »

and you think us being a feeder club for misfits and maybes is the way to get there.

I bet Arsenal are really upset with how Ødegaard is doing for them.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #724 on: December 29, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »

which has nothing to do with my comment.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #725 on: December 29, 2022, 10:03:40 AM »

Who was that keeper that couldn't get a start at Arsenal? Forgot what happened to him

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #726 on: December 29, 2022, 10:16:14 AM »

which has nothing to do with my comment.

How do you work that out then?

He's precisely the sort of "Real Madrid misfits and youngsters" that you'd be dopily rejecting.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #727 on: December 29, 2022, 10:49:18 AM »

Who was that keeper that couldn't get a start at Arsenal? Forgot what happened to him

Ended up being the most hated man in football apparently

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #728 on: December 29, 2022, 11:31:34 AM »
We've still got some major holes in the side, in that we haven't really got many proper wide options.  I think that getting some quality in the wide attacking areas alone would see us improve considerably. 
And there's the rub. We have wingers in the club - Traore, JPB, K Young being three. Gerrard largely stripped the winger-concept out of the squad. The thing is, Bailey and Traore - as an example - would cause defences some trouble, with a decent goalscorer in the middle (Ings would fit this role). These would work if, for example, we played Kamara and Dendoncker in the middle, with Buendia or Ramsey behind the striker.
Alternatively, playing young wingers is less of a risk / more uncertainty for the oppo than playing inexperienced central midfielders or defenders.
The likelihood is that one of the V'real winger / midfielders will come in, to provide more penetration than Buendia does off the right - I think that players like Jackson can play through the middle too.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #729 on: December 29, 2022, 12:17:48 PM »

Newcastle? Mate, like it or not, they are now in the top echelons of this league.

I agree we need to be more consistent and, we wont compete financially with the top 4, but that doesn’t mean we need to accept we facilitate anyone - buy smart (eg Kamara, McGinn, Martinez) make sure their sell on clauses contain huge fees (eg Grealish), rinse/repeat, and we can absolutely compete for Europe within the next 2 years. Arsenal are a great example of a club who didn’t need to spend anywhere like the money City, Utd, 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', Tottenham have spent to reap progression

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #730 on: December 29, 2022, 12:47:57 PM »

Newcastle? Mate, like it or not, they are now in the top echelons of this league.
I agree we need to be more consistent and, we wont compete financially with the top 4, but that doesn’t mean we need to accept we facilitate anyone - buy smart (eg Kamara, McGinn, Martinez) make sure their sell on clauses contain huge fees (eg Grealish), rinse/repeat, and we can absolutely compete for Europe within the next 2 years. Arsenal are a great example of a club who didn’t need to spend anywhere like the money City, Utd, 'The Mighty Reds YNWA', Tottenham have spent to reap progression
Arsenal have done a great job of integrating their kids into Premier League football - Saliba, Saka, Martinelli, ESR, Nketiah - whilst bringing in high-quality players like Gavbriel, Oodegaard, Tierney, Zinchenko and Jesus. We need to find a way of doing likewise over the next 6-8 months with those whom we believe really can become regular and high-performing Premier League players.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #731 on: December 29, 2022, 12:50:51 PM »

Arsneal have spent a fortune the last three transfer windows, especially last year when it was the thick end of £200m.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #732 on: December 29, 2022, 01:26:18 PM »
I'd tap up the likes of Harvey Barnes or Hudson Odoi. I think we need a ball carrier on the opposite flank to Bailey. Or perhaps look at some sort of loan for Jaydon Sancho to give him game time.
 I was reading the article about Dean Saunders in the Liverpool programme what stuck with me was when it said we were 11th when he joined a few weeks later we were 3rd. A quick way to jump up the league

Barnes is a good shout but I really hope we’ve seen the last of warming up Man Utd’s subs for them, or anyone else for that matter.
As for Deano, I think he signed 3 or so games in to a season where we’d finished 7th the year before, so his statement doesn’t look quite as spectacular when you consider that. He was supposed to be the final piece and he did well though to be fair to him.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #733 on: December 29, 2022, 01:27:21 PM »
With Liverpool having six forwards on their books, I wonder if they'd let Jota go and how much would he fetch?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #734 on: December 29, 2022, 02:20:17 PM »
With Liverpool having six forwards on their books, I wonder if they'd let Jota go and how much would he fetch?

Good shout that

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal