collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711625 times)

Offline Astnor

Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #7230 on: December 07, 2023, 01:49:08 PM »
Only 2 players that started last night were signed under Emery. Which shows how good he is and is also a good sign of our overall transfer policy under the new owners.

Emery - Torres, Tielemans
Smith - Emi, Konsa, Watkins, Luiz, Bailey
Gerrard - Digne, Carlos, Kamara
Bruce - McGinn
I was thinking the same. The injuried Mings and Buendia in instead of Torres and Tielemans and you can also make a case about Smith and Lange didnt do badly in recruitment as they then recruited all?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7231 on: December 07, 2023, 01:49:58 PM »
Only 2 players that started last night were signed under Emery. Which shows how good he is and is also a good sign of our overall transfer policy under the new owners.

Bruce - McGinn

Pretty conclusive proof that Smith lost his way and Gerrard was just shit. All along I thought we had a top-half squad and it was just waiting for someone to work out how to get the best out of it.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7232 on: December 07, 2023, 01:51:51 PM »

Bruce - McGinn

Pretty conclusive proof that Smith lost his way and Gerrard was just shit. All along I thought we had a top-half squad and it was just waiting for someone to work out how to get the best out of it.

Gerard's legacy is those players he signed.  The fact that he hadn't a clue is irrelevant, thankfully his successor has.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7233 on: December 07, 2023, 01:57:25 PM »
I think Johan Lange probably deserves more praise than Gerrard does.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7234 on: December 07, 2023, 02:09:48 PM »

Oh I agree, but players signed are always the current managers signings, no one gives a shit or pays much attention to who did all the background work.  I'll bet Steve Bruce knew fuck all about John McGinn but McGinn will always be a Steve Bruce signing. 

I think in fairness, Gerrard deserves some small credit in persuading Kamara to sign for Villa.  Wasn't he part of a delegation that visited the player at his home?  For that alone Gerrard deserves a small bit of our thanks.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7235 on: December 07, 2023, 02:10:16 PM »
We simply have to win something this season.
It would be nice but we don't have to.  If we finish in the top 4 it will be a massive step along the way to becoming a club that is capable of challenging on all fronts.  A club capable of retaining our best players and attracting elite additions to the squad.  That's when trophies, hopefully multiple trophies, will follow.  (Unless you're Spurs) 

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7236 on: December 07, 2023, 02:13:19 PM »
I'll settle for the FA Cup, Europa Conf and a top 4 finish this season, no need to be greedy.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #7237 on: December 07, 2023, 02:17:33 PM »
The one and only thing we can thank Gerrard for is being a woeful manager. His woefulness has paved the way for Emery.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7238 on: December 07, 2023, 02:22:40 PM »
And thank god Pochettino turned us down.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7239 on: December 07, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »
And thank god Pochettino turned us down.

Looking at the two of them, it seems to me obvious which one still has the hunger.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7240 on: December 07, 2023, 02:34:41 PM »

Oh I agree, but players signed are always the current managers signings, no one gives a shit or pays much attention to who did all the background work.  I'll bet Steve Bruce knew fuck all about John McGinn but McGinn will always be a Steve Bruce signing. 

I think in fairness, Gerrard deserves some small credit in persuading Kamara to sign for Villa.  Wasn't he part of a delegation that visited the player at his home?  For that alone Gerrard deserves a small bit of our thanks.

I think it's pretty easy to see to when it's a manager signing, and when it's a DOF job. Watkins and Konsa would have been down to Smith because of his Brentford days, and he's on record as saying that Luiz was offered to him by Pitarch. Danny Ings was almost certainly a Lange/Purslow emergency signing to distract the fans after the sale of Grealish. Kamara was definitely a Gerrard signing, as Bouba said this when he joined "When the coach comes to see you at home, when he makes the trip, when he explains the project, his ambition for me in the years to come, I take this into account. Especially when it comes from Steven Gerrard, one of the best midfielders in the world in his position. It leaned in my decision. I can’t wait to join him to work."

I thought it was an odd decision at the time, but selling Ings is one of the best decisions Emery has made. Trying to fit him in played a big part in the downfall of both Emery's predecessors I think. He's not a bad player and was a decent goal scorer, but added nothing else because his legs had almost totally gone.

I'm looking forward to seeing the sorts of players Monchi and Emery are looking at currently.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7241 on: December 07, 2023, 02:39:42 PM »
Emery and the club took a battering on here for selling Ings. He's scored in 1 of the 26 league games he's played for West Ham.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7242 on: December 07, 2023, 02:41:27 PM »
Emery and the club took a battering on here for selling Ings. He's scored in 1 of the 26 league games he's played for West Ham.

At the time he was our top scorer, and nobody knew quite the effect Emery was going to have on Watkins.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7243 on: December 07, 2023, 02:56:35 PM »

At the time he was our top scorer, and nobody knew quite the effect Emery was going to have on Watkins.

I did, I said it on here right at the start he'd love Watkins and have him firing.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #7244 on: December 07, 2023, 02:58:30 PM »
I'll settle for the FA Cup, Europa Conf and a top 4 finish this season, no need to be greedy.

I’m a little disappointed in you Lee that you’ve folded like this. Title minimum and if Emery is the man we think he is we will win the European Cup too. Fuck this Conference bollocks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal