collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 660856 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #5280 on: May 30, 2023, 11:32:05 AM »
There have been so many managerial changes this season, and quite a few who've done a good job.

Howe has done really well, O'Neill at Bournemouth and Cooper at Forest have done well to stay in the division, deZerbi has continued Potter's good work so it's hard to give him as much credit. Lopetegui did really well to get them safe after finding them bottom at Xmas. Hats off to Lampard too, what an incredibly satisfying run he's been on. But with making a silk purse from a sow's ear, Emery is the man.

Spot on. I hope now that this is the first transfer window where we really push the boat and make some good decisions. I think most of our windows since coming back have been a bit disappointing for one reason or another. I hope that Emery's approach to transfers is as meticulous and successful as his coaching. If it is, next season could be really quite special indeed.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5281 on: May 30, 2023, 11:34:22 AM »
There have been so many managerial changes this season, and quite a few who've done a good job.

Howe has done really well, O'Neill at Bournemouth and Cooper at Forest have done well to stay in the division, deZerbi has continued Potter's good work so it's hard to give him as much credit. Lopetegui did really well to get them safe after finding them bottom at Xmas. Hats off to Lampard too, what an incredibly satisfying run he's been on. But with making a silk purse from a sow's ear, Emery is the man.

The Wolves manager did alright but they were in a false position in the first place, spent a ton of cash in the window, copped for a couple of right pastings at the end of the season and played like a Tony Puils team to beat us.

There's also more than a whiff of Billy McNeill 'filling time between jobs' about him too.

Oh, I know, but when you're down there, it's hard to get up. They played really well against us at Villa Park, and maybe it was agricultural, but it was effective. He's a smart guy. And re the McNeill observation, let's hope so. I hope he's the rat leaving the sinking ship.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5282 on: May 30, 2023, 11:35:21 AM »

Spot on. I hope now that this is the first transfer window where we really push the boat and make some good decisions. I think most of our windows since coming back have been a bit disappointing for one reason or another. I hope that Emery's approach to transfers is as meticulous and successful as his coaching. If it is, next season could be really quite special indeed.

It's funny as like you say, the transfer windows have felt a bit disappointing but when you now look at the team through a properly coached lens we've managed to put a pretty decent side together since coming up.

Online Drummond

« Reply #5283 on: May 30, 2023, 11:36:07 AM »

Amen. We're so starved of success, the atmosphere on Saturday was electric, if you can think what starting to win stuff could do for our club....

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #5284 on: May 30, 2023, 11:39:58 AM »
Amen. We're so starved of success, the atmosphere on Saturday was electric, if you can think what starting to win stuff could do for our club....

Put ti this way, it will be a very long time until we're leaving Wembley before our captain lifts the FA Cup.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5285 on: May 30, 2023, 11:43:35 AM »

Put ti this way, it will be a very long time until we're leaving Wembley before our captain lifts the FA Cup.

Don't laugh, but for the first time probably this century I will go into next season thinking "We could win the FA Cup this year"

It's this shift in thinking I'm struggling to still accept as reality rather than fastasy.

Online Drummond

« Reply #5286 on: May 30, 2023, 11:59:38 AM »

Don't laugh, but for the first time probably this century I will go into next season thinking "We could win the FA Cup this year"

It's this shift in thinking I'm struggling to still accept as reality rather than fastasy.

It's that we'll have a full season of expectation and hope in the Premier League and three cup competitions, rather than praying it isn't all over by the middle of January again.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #5287 on: May 30, 2023, 12:21:53 PM »
Sacrilegious but those photos did make me think of:

Partridge doesn't wear Stoney whereas Unai got the badge in twice. 8)
I'd love to meet him one of my first questions would  be ¿Unai, sabes lo que significa "getting the badge in" en ingles?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #5288 on: May 30, 2023, 02:09:33 PM »

Exactly.  It will be the first time I will go into the season thinking we could win ANY game

(and yes I resisted the dieting puns)

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #5289 on: May 30, 2023, 03:08:29 PM »
A day in Birmingham with Unai Emery, the 'boss' who takes the 'villains' to Europe: "I've never had a project like this"

EL MUNDO visits the coach who, in six months, has brought Aston Villa to Europe after 13 years.

The center of Birmingham is furrowed by canals from where the manufactures leaving the factories of the 'city of a thousand trades' were distributed in the 18th century, the second most populous capital in England, where Unai Emery arrived six months ago to wake up a sleeping giant. From his glass-enclosed penthouse he can see them and, on the few walks that the competition allows him to take, he can still go unnoticed, even without the cap with which he usually protects himself from glances and the photos to which he gladly agrees, but which do bring out his point of shyness.

Also contains some pictures of the great man surveying his kingdom - taken at 5am as he'd just exited the Tap and Spile.

https://www.elmundo.es/deportes/2023/05/29/6461192521efa045148b458a.html

At the risk of being all Eastie, but from the description and the pics, I wonder if he is in the Moda place on Broad Street.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #5290 on: May 30, 2023, 03:19:33 PM »

It's funny as like you say, the transfer windows have felt a bit disappointing but when you now look at the team through a properly coached lens we've managed to put a pretty decent side together since coming up.

You're right, they've collectively left us with a fine set of players but for most of them there was a feeling of "perhaps we could have done more" which I guess is always the feeling as a football supporter, but the first summer back left us with only Wesley as a striker, then in the winter we went for Samatta (dreadful) and Drinkwater  (worst player in a Villa shirt ever).

I think this is the first time we've got an excellent first eleven, which just needs adding to for our push for the title, FA Cup, League Cup and Euro Conference as we land an unprecedented quadruple.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #5291 on: May 30, 2023, 06:12:07 PM »
A few years ago I remember being told that Villa rented or owned a couple of apartments in the Mailbox for new players, I thought maybe he was either there or the Hyatt?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #5292 on: May 30, 2023, 06:13:21 PM »
Although my daughters mates all had pics taken with him in Sutton a few weeks back, maybe the reporter was staying in central Brum?

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5293 on: May 30, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »

Indeed, we lost a year under Gerrard, but I suspect out trajectory since coming up is pretty much what all the ambitious newly promoted sides would love to do. First season survive. Second season mid-table safety. Third season push for Europe.  It's taken us four years, not three, but it's been pretty impressive given the other self-proclaimed "ambitious" clubs who've come up and failed miserably.

I'm as excited about this transfer window as I have been about any window that I can remember. The first year back was brilliant, lots of new faces, the lure of premier league football bringing in some names we didn't recognise, but hoped to unearth a gem. 

But this window different. This is a team on the cusp of something special. We have European football. We have a world class manager. We have a 50k stadium incoming. This window is no longer about hope, but about expectation.  Not just from us, but from the players we want to attract.  We're not recruiting players who want to play in the premier league and hopefully attract bigger suitors - we can legitimately attract top level players who want to try and win things under a manager with a global reputation for winning things.

It's going to be a fun summer!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5294 on: May 30, 2023, 08:48:06 PM »
Wonder how the not being noticed thing is going when he bombs around in the most recognisable Stone Island life preserver in world football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal