collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 704786 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #5265 on: May 30, 2023, 10:02:12 AM »
Article from El Mundo, a Spanish national newspaper. Need to be translated but basically about his relationship with Nas and his philosophy.
https://www.elmundo.es/deportes/2023/05/29/6461192521efa045148b458a.html

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5266 on: May 30, 2023, 10:36:58 AM »
In other news former Villa boss Steve Bruce is having fun in retirement

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5267 on: May 30, 2023, 10:40:04 AM »
In other news former Villa boss Steve Bruce is having fun in retirement

"We'll take wor boots off!"

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5268 on: May 30, 2023, 11:03:20 AM »
A day in Birmingham with Unai Emery, the 'boss' who takes the 'villains' to Europe: "I've never had a project like this"

EL MUNDO visits the coach who, in six months, has brought Aston Villa to Europe after 13 years.

The center of Birmingham is furrowed by canals from where the manufactures leaving the factories of the 'city of a thousand trades' were distributed in the 18th century, the second most populous capital in England, where Unai Emery arrived six months ago to wake up a sleeping giant. From his glass-enclosed penthouse he can see them and, on the few walks that the competition allows him to take, he can still go unnoticed, even without the cap with which he usually protects himself from glances and the photos to which he gladly agrees, but which do bring out his point of shyness. The one that eclipses his energy when there is a ball in between. The Basque coach is happy with his return to the Premier in a project "that I have never had in my hands" .

Aston Villa , seven times champion of the Premier League and the European Cup in 1982, flirted with relegation for another season and its president and owner, the Egyptian Nassef Sawiri , the second richest businessman in Africa, did not hesitate to call him. «They offered me to be the manager responsible for everything. Since I left Arsenal, I had made an effort to be prepared if the opportunity arose , "he says from his office in the sports city of Boodymoor Heath, comfortable and flirtatious, but which he also wants to expand with a residence for the first team concentrations. All that also now depends on him.

Winning the Europa League with Villarreal and reaching the Champions League semifinals made him aware that his name would be heard again in all the big leagues. «It was not a normal moment, but I exposed Fernando Roig Jr. that it was an opportunity and, out of understanding, he opened the door for me. If he had not done it, even if Aston Villa had paid my clause, he would not have accepted, "he admits.

Her stage in the yellow team defines her as professionally and personally "very happy", which is why she said no a year earlier to the offer from Newcastle . «I thought that it was not the moment because I could still reach more with Villarreal. Reaching the semifinals of the Champions League proved me right, "she says. But the second opportunity could not be missed. Her new boss, Nassef Sawiris, is in love with football, but dumps all the decisions on the Basque. «I like to have meetings, go to lunch or dinner from time to time, as I have done with all the presidents I have had. It's easy because he's in London and he comes to almost every game. I asked Nassef for that responsibility, because at 51 years old and with my experience, I feel capable of demanding it and assuming it.. Of course, I told him that I would make him participate in all the decisions so that he would understand why I do things, "explains Unai with great confidence.

Why did he love you?

“I ask all the presidents that. Logically there are the successes, but someone has also told me that it was because of my energy or my style of play. Nassef was attracted by success in Europe, but above all by the ability to overcome KO knockouts and to build competitive teams as seen against transatlantic players like Liverpool, United, Bayern or Juve. That was what he said. He wants Aston Villa to be that competitive, to fight for the top four in the Premier League and compete for European titles."

PRAETORIAN GUARD WITHOUT ALEMANY

What he is not going to do is do it from inferiority. In a Premier with an extraordinary "financial muscle" , Aston Villa is willing to raise the bar on spending to fight for everything. "The idea is to build a team that matches those with which we are going to compete." For that, Unai Emery needs to surround himself with the best, with a Praetorian Guard like the one Guardiola built at City. «The president, in another show of confidence, lets me compose the group of people around me. A coach has to make many decisions every day and have a lot of professional judgment, experience and knowledge, but he needs people around him to help perfect that decision", he explains.

The icing on the cake was going to be Mateu Alemany . «We want a strong structure and we value who it could be. Who was experienced, competitive and a good fit for me and the owners. I have talked a lot about football with Mateu and I have a personal relationship that made me feel comfortable. However, the Spaniard reversed his announcement to leave Barça, something that does not upset the plans or the ambition of the project led by the Basque. With the senior executive Damià Vidagany , his coaching staff and two strong men like Alberto Benito and Pablo RodríguezIn the technical secretariat that come from Betis and Villarreal, Emery forms that circle of protection that he admires from City. «When we talk about Guardiola, we do it about a prolonged success over time and football updates that start from a genius like him. The structure that he has makes it possible for him to focus on work and trust everything around him. That is a good model and we are talking about creating it with Mateu Alemany. I want to be very rigorous, that the decisions are the best and assume them because they are mine or that of the professional people that surround me».

GOOD NUMBERS AND THE FAITH OF THE PLAYERS
For now, he has Villa Park surrendered at his feet. In six months he has transformed the team that was flirting with relegation into one that will be in Europe through the Conference League with record numbers: 10 games without losing, 20 scoring at least one goal and a defense that has once again made the team shine. I drew Martinez . His work has earned him the nomination for best coach of the season in the Premier.

«I remember a phrase by Juanma Lillo , whom I admire, who said that to learn sometimes you have to unlearn. That happens to players. Sometimes you have to tell them to do things differently because they will do better. And when they do well, they appreciate it. In any case, I have had players who were happy for two months and not anymore. It happened to me at Arsenal. That is why I prefer that they not flatter me if they are going to criticize me later. I don't like to hear it because I know it may be a defect in the future," he says.

Flattery is inevitable. Side Alex Moreno can't run away from them . A WhatsApp revolutionized his life in January. "Unai wrote me to talk to me." From that moment on, a transfer that left Betis 13.5 million, the move and the debut “without even time to warm up” against Leeds at Villa Park, “and I saved a goal. It was a good start”, says the full-back, who was in the crosshairs of Luis de la Fuente until a hamstring tear sent him to the operating room.

«It was not easy to leave Betis, but it was the opportunity of my life. The Premier is the best league in the world and the project is very motivating." In his time at Barça youth, Llagostera, Mallorca, Rayo, Elche and Betis, he had faced Emery many times, but the first advice was given by Joaquín. «You are going to swell up from watching videos, he told me. And yes, that analysis with the staff to see how improving movements in attack and defense helps you grow. "His system, with a lot of prominence on the ball, favors me a lot when it comes to attacking," he says. "Everything that he asks of us and corrects us in training, then you see that it is very useful in the game," admits the footballer, who retired injured against Liverpool and may have said goodbye to the season.

He also admits the influence of the Basque coach, captain John McGinn . The Scottish international did not have to explain who Emery was. At the age of 13 he was in the UEFA Cup final at Hampden Park and saw Sevilla win against Espanyol . Since then, he has been aware of what the Sevillistas were doing, "I can even hum the anthem," he jokes. Emery's exploits he knows and now captivates him as a coach. «He transmits incredible information to us to make us better. Although I am 28 years old, every day is like going to school. I learn and it makes me feel that I have no limits . It is part of his plan that I hope will take us to Europe and to the top 10 of the Premier, "says the captain.

Accustomed to English coaches, they have adapted to the rallies, the long talks, their involvement in training, "running like one of them", and their style. “He wants us to spend more time with possession and he insists on that. My advantage is that I already do it like this with Scotland. With his team, he plays more advanced. At the Villa, where Emery says. «He asked me and I told him where he wanted less on the bench. Now I'm enjoying a lot."

Emery insists that there is still a way to go, that he does not have a magic wand. «All changes have their immediate effects, which can last two weeks, six months or a year, but success is being able to evolve and improve in four years. If you come back in four years, then we can talk about success."

PREMIER VS LEAGUE
-Is there now less patience with the projects in the Premier?

«It is that football is changing. The Premier has an economic capacity that makes the demands greater. The times of Fergusson or Wenger were others in which the projects were maintained in periods of non-success because they were confident that they would arrive. This is modern football: hit or hit. They can forgive you one, but the second no longer », He warns.

In this economic fight, is the League falling behind? «I owe him a lot, but the Premier has the financial muscle and what football means in England. When I was little, they told me that for Athletic fans, going to football was like going to mass. I didn't even know who the rival was, but they went to the Cathedral, the same thing happens here ». In Birmingham he makes a pilgrimage to Villa Park to see the 'villains' of him.

Also contains some pictures of the great man surveying his kingdom - taken at 5am as he'd just exited the Tap and Spile.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5269 on: May 30, 2023, 11:06:25 AM »
'Comfortable and flirtatious'!

Online LeeB

« Reply #5270 on: May 30, 2023, 11:07:53 AM »

Stolen my LinkedIn bio

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5271 on: May 30, 2023, 11:08:09 AM »
Emery has done an astounding job with what he inherited, of that there's no doubt. Having said that, it also shows that we have the resources, in terms of recruitment, training facilities, academy and the rest of the infrastructure. Now we have the man (and let's not forget the rest of his team too) that can take advantage of it.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #5272 on: May 30, 2023, 11:08:12 AM »
Sports city of Bodymoor Heath... nice!

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #5273 on: May 30, 2023, 11:08:16 AM »
Sacrilegious but those photos did make me think of:

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #5274 on: May 30, 2023, 11:08:57 AM »

Stolen my LinkedIn bio

Mine is "Popular and handsome as Richard Burton"

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5275 on: May 30, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
Article from El Mundo, a Spanish national newspaper. Need to be translated but basically about his relationship with Nas and his philosophy.

Cheers, DB. Interesting read.

Online LeeB

« Reply #5276 on: May 30, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »

Stolen my LinkedIn bio

Mine is "Popular and handsome as Richard Burton"

"...is now"

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5277 on: May 30, 2023, 11:24:13 AM »
There have been so many managerial changes this season, and quite a few who've done a good job.

Howe has done really well, O'Neill at Bournemouth and Cooper at Forest have done well to stay in the division, deZerbi has continued Potter's good work so it's hard to give him as much credit. Lopetegui did really well to get them safe after finding them bottom at Xmas. Hats off to Lampard too, what an incredibly satisfying run he's been on. But with making a silk purse from a sow's ear, Emery is the man.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #5278 on: May 30, 2023, 11:26:54 AM »
Sacrilegious but those photos did make me think of:

Partridge doesn't wear Stoney whereas Unai got the badge in twice. 8)

Online LeeB

« Reply #5279 on: May 30, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »
There have been so many managerial changes this season, and quite a few who've done a good job.

Howe has done really well, O'Neill at Bournemouth and Cooper at Forest have done well to stay in the division, deZerbi has continued Potter's good work so it's hard to give him as much credit. Lopetegui did really well to get them safe after finding them bottom at Xmas. Hats off to Lampard too, what an incredibly satisfying run he's been on. But with making a silk purse from a sow's ear, Emery is the man.

The Wolves manager did alright but they were in a false position in the first place, spent a ton of cash in the window, copped for a couple of right pastings at the end of the season and played like a Tony Puils team to beat us.

There's also more than a whiff of Billy McNeill 'filling time between jobs' about him too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal