collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 659206 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #4155 on: March 24, 2023, 02:33:14 PM »
I see Steve Clarke has his contract extended for Scotland mens national team.
I had a feeling he was hankering for the Villa manager job when he was assistant after RDM dismissal, but he left also, and Bruce came in.
I also thought Clarke was a competent coach for high end championship at least.

I had the same thought Shakespeare (or Terry returning) would come in after Smith and actually would have preferred them to Gerrard till the summer and then appoint a manager.

Think Clarke and Shakespeare had More pedigree than likes of Clemence or Critchley and JT was more engaging than Wilkins and better skilled with players than Roy Keane or McAllister.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 02:38:15 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4156 on: March 24, 2023, 03:58:29 PM »
Clarkey and Shakey didn't serve us well.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4157 on: March 24, 2023, 04:26:51 PM »
I always felt RDM ignored Clarke, at least on a matchday, when he should have been using his vast wealth of experience. I never wanted RDM but felt with Clarke they could be an effective team. I'd love to hear what Clarke has to say about his short stay at Villa Park. I like him and think he's a decent a coach. RDM is an arse despite winning the CL with Chelsea.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4158 on: March 24, 2023, 04:41:48 PM »

All's good now we've got Emery.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #4159 on: March 24, 2023, 04:46:12 PM »

All's good now we've got Emery.

It always strikes me as interesting to see a manager/coach take on a position as a number two and assistant to the manager when they previously had the experience of being in charge at a football club as the 'gaffer' and being number one. 
When they are not the chief they have a role as assistant and that's different for them and these coaches have to adapt to their position

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4160 on: March 24, 2023, 05:58:41 PM »
I always felt RDM ignored Clarke, at least on a matchday, when he should have been using his vast wealth of experience. I never wanted RDM but felt with Clarke they could be an effective team. I'd love to hear what Clarke has to say about his short stay at Villa Park. I like him and think he's a decent a coach. RDM is an arse despite winning the CL with Chelsea.

I'm surprised one of the interminable Villa podcasts haven't nabbed him for a tell-all interview. There's so many of the things, surely they're starting to run out of content. Maybe he's too high-profile to approach, if he's still the manager of Scotland.

Maybe get Nicola Sturgeon on instead, see whether or not she rates Leon Bailey.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #4161 on: March 24, 2023, 10:22:50 PM »
I was thinking/reflecting about Unai and previous managers under whom we've had success (Houghton, Sir Ron, Tony Barton, Lord Little, BFR etc.) and what qualities they had that he might have.

Anyway, I wasn't too sure as to what qualities Unai actually has - so I asked Google - and this was the answer:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/861591-5-reasons-why-valencias-unai-emery-is-one-of-the-worlds-best-managers

Oh yes!!

Things are looking good.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4162 on: March 25, 2023, 11:20:30 AM »
I had the same thought Shakespeare (or Terry returning) would come in after Smith and actually would have preferred them to Gerrard till the summer and then appoint a manager.

Off topic, but whatever happened to John Terry? His statement when he left said something along the lines of “I’m ready to be a manager now” yet he’s disappeared off the face of the earth, he’s not even a pundit on tv as far as I’m aware. 

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #4163 on: March 25, 2023, 01:37:05 PM »

Off topic, but whatever happened to John Terry? His statement when he left said something along the lines of “I’m ready to be a manager now” yet he’s disappeared off the face of the earth, he’s not even a pundit on tv as far as I’m aware.

He was consumed by his own forehead...

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #4164 on: March 25, 2023, 02:43:27 PM »
Wikipedia reckons Terry was a coach at Chelsea as of Jan 2022. Whether he still is, I've no idea.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #4165 on: March 31, 2023, 12:51:54 PM »
In the presser for the Chelsea match, my trained eye observed Emery putting his clenched fist into his hand several occasions. This denotes anger, annoyance and negative in how he feeling what Unai was talking about. He then takes his hands away and puts them under the table immediately the questions and his talking about player availability is over.

Just as Emery was stating "I don't know any more problems from the last players arrived from the international teams"  he clenched his fist into his palm of hand.
Once more, Unai expressed himself with the gesture when he wished that we could prepare and be ready for training tomorrow.

As soon as the questions and discussion concerning player availability are finished, Unai Emery removes his hands and places them under the table.

In light of these observations, it is clear that his gesture conveys anger, negativity and exasperation. This appears to be connected to the players' availability, specifically gestures were around Kamara, as well as those who have returned from international duty who may be injured or underprepared.

Very interesting and very telling.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4167 on: March 31, 2023, 12:56:29 PM »
In the presser for the Chelsea match, my trained eye observed Emery putting his clenched fist into his hand several occasions. .......
......Very interesting and very telling.

Whenever I read your posts, my hand goes like this.

Especially as the majority of your "insights" are proven so wrong that you actually usually contradict yourself five posts later.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #4168 on: March 31, 2023, 01:08:15 PM »
Wikipedia reckons Terry was a coach at Chelsea as of Jan 2022. Whether he still is, I've no idea.

He's doing some of those "An evening with..." things down South which would indicate that he's not busy and not flush either.

Offline coreyfeldman

« Reply #4169 on: March 31, 2023, 01:16:33 PM »
In the presser for the Chelsea match, my trained eye observed Emery putting his clenched fist into his hand several occasions. This denotes anger, annoyance and negative in how he feeling what Unai was talking about. He then takes his hands away and puts them under the table immediately the questions and his talking about player availability is over.

Just as Emery was stating "I don't know any more problems from the last players arrived from the international teams"  he clenched his fist into his palm of hand.
Once more, Unai expressed himself with the gesture when he wished that we could prepare and be ready for training tomorrow.

As soon as the questions and discussion concerning player availability are finished, Unai Emery removes his hands and places them under the table.

In light of these observations, it is clear that his gesture conveys anger, negativity and exasperation. This appears to be connected to the players' availability, specifically gestures were around Kamara, as well as those who have returned from international duty who may be injured or underprepared.

Very interesting and very telling.

:o :o :o :o

What are you trained in?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal