collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by tomd2103
[Today at 11:39:54 PM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by KevinGage
[Today at 11:39:49 PM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by Monty
[Today at 11:39:04 PM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by robleflaneur
[Today at 11:35:32 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by aldridgeboy
[Today at 11:35:14 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by aldridgeboy
[Today at 11:34:07 PM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by dorsetvillian
[Today at 11:32:15 PM]

Re: Champions League 2024-2025 by Ads
[Today at 11:30:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 725653 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #3930 on: March 20, 2023, 10:54:56 AM »
Garth's usual impeccable attention to detail:

"It was an impressive home win for Villa, who have been steadily climbing the table." We've been 11th since the first week of January! We've put a whole load of daylight between us and those below, but that's not climbing the table.

About Jacob Ramsey: "His confidence is sky high and he's scoring goals." Saturday was his first goal in four and a half months.

He also called Ramsey a striker.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3931 on: March 20, 2023, 11:11:14 AM »

"It was an impressive home win for Villa, who have been steadily climbing the table." We've been 11th since the first week of January! We've put a whole load of daylight between us and those below, but that's not climbing the table.

About Jacob Ramsey: "His confidence is sky high and he's scoring goals." Saturday was his first goal in four and a half months.

On MOTD they said about him being clearly 'in form'. Ah well, the narrative is set that Ramsey is a quality young attacking midfielder to the wider public, that's no bad thing, beats being underrated and ignored.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3932 on: March 20, 2023, 12:13:07 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted already but as well as featuring 3 Villa players in his team of the week Garth Crooks also offers this quietly withering assessment of Gerrard:  "It would appear Aston Villa now have a grown-up in charge and not a manager who was learning on the job."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65009535

That’s remarkably insightful for Crooks. The other comments above are more true to form for him.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3933 on: March 20, 2023, 12:17:43 PM »
I assume that guy who's never heard of Sam Matterface dosen't live in the UK (which is fair enough).

For an o.k but limited commentator he's done well for himself. Replacing Clive Tyldsley as number one commentator for ITV before the last euros, doing the comms on Dancing on Ice and currently on Talksport as I type.

I get the feeling there's a lazy assumption in the media we were 11th-12th when Gerrard got sacked after the Fulham surrender.

We were 17th and outside relegation zone on goals scored.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3934 on: March 20, 2023, 12:21:33 PM »

Another one:

"Martinez's right-handed stop from a blistering Philip Billing drive when Villa were 1-0 up against Bournemouth was absolutely superb."

Why even mention his hand if you're not going to check which one it actually was?

Online LeeB

« Reply #3935 on: March 20, 2023, 12:23:17 PM »
I assume that guy who's never heard of Sam Matterface dosen't live in the UK (which is fair enough).

For an o.k but limited commentator he's done well for himself. Replacing Clive Tyldsley as number one commentator for ITV before the last euros, doing the comms on Dancing on Ice and currently on Talksport as I type.

I get the feeling there's a lazy assumption in the media we were 11th-12th when Gerrard got sacked after the Fulham surrender.

We were 17th and outside relegation zone on goals scored.

I fucking evny the guy who's never heard Sam Matterface

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3936 on: March 20, 2023, 12:23:25 PM »

Another one:

"Martinez's right-handed stop from a blistering Philip Billing drive when Villa were 1-0 up against Bournemouth was absolutely superb."

Why even mention his hand if you're not going to check which one it actually was?

Yep, you wonder how anyone keeps their job with so many mistakes, ill-informed bullshit, and pointless opinions.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3937 on: March 20, 2023, 12:50:36 PM »

Another one:

Yep, you wonder how anyone keeps their job with so many mistakes, ill-informed bullshit, and pointless opinions.

Just goes to show that, with the 'grown up' comment, even the most useless of twats can get something right every now and then.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3938 on: March 20, 2023, 01:17:39 PM »
I wont lie, I have been questioning the managers decision to stick to his footballing ethos of playing along the deck due to our players lack of ability to play that way, but so far, touching wood, a few errors aside & a still lingering concern about consistent performance levels, that decision from Emery is starting to bare some fruit, considering that we have the 4th best form since Emery joined. Its not perfect, but compared to Gerrard, its a universe away.

Im hopeful that next term, with a few extra players in that fully fit into this system, players like Mings, who are currently standing tall in Emerys system will have already had that "transition" period over from this year & the integration into the new team for the new players will be smoother.

So I am starting to come round to the idea that my concerns regarding our current playing style with the current crop of players has been misguided & the manager might know what he is doing after all, lol...

I love being wrong when it comes to my concerns regarding Villa & so far, I am very much enjoying my rather large slice of humble pie.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #3939 on: March 20, 2023, 01:18:27 PM »
Highest team pass accuracy this weekend (ignoring the dickhead clubs)

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1637799514298802176?t=NBGh9WdFRgieHJG6hFT3WQ&s=19

4th best this season

https://twitter.com/Other14The/status/1635946562978295809?t=vVH9hfdSqHzMa68vp0KSiw&s=19

That's quite an interesting account to follow if you don't already.

Offline danno

« Reply #3940 on: March 20, 2023, 01:22:10 PM »
Without slating his predecessor too much, I’d suggest we’re seeing the benefits of players having had a few months of actual coaching.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3941 on: March 20, 2023, 01:27:48 PM »
Without slating his predecessor too much, I’d suggest we’re seeing the benefits of players having had a few months of actual coaching.

Nah, feel free to slate him.

Online LeeB

« Reply #3942 on: March 20, 2023, 01:31:16 PM »
The carpetheaded, slippy shoed twat

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3943 on: March 20, 2023, 01:32:44 PM »

Another one:

Just goes to show that, with the 'grown up' comment, even the most useless of twats can get something right every now and then.

Garth Crooks once stopped by our table in Lisbon during Euro 2004 and told us to behave ourselves :D

We were in the middle of ordering a meal. Utterly bizarre

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3944 on: March 20, 2023, 01:33:24 PM »
The DJ-bothering dickhead.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal