collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 689364 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #3900 on: March 18, 2023, 09:35:46 PM »
Matty Cash has done a golf video with one of the gurning simpletons from Soccer AM. They basically play a round of golf and chat while playing, all videod. A mate sent me a link to the relevant bit, but Matty is explaining how the amount of information they're given since Emery took over is huge.  Two hour video sessions after every game, analysing the match and their decisions in it, in real-time.  Then during the week, individual video sessions with the coaches to discuss their role and performance. It sounds like their days are a lot longer than they used to be. I get the impression there is ZERO ambiguity around what is expected from everyone on that pitch. Sure, it's going to take to time to bed in such that it all becomes second nature, but it sounds extremely promising.

Also, Matty Cash is clearly an excellent golfer.
May I ask do they do the video review the same day or day or two after. I assume focus is on physical recovery post match

I think he said the day after, but I can't be 100% sure.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3901 on: March 18, 2023, 09:37:00 PM »
So, we are 3rd in the league since he took over. Imagine what we can do after a summer transfer window, shaping his own squad…

6th since he came in, behind Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Brentford (but 3rd-6th in that form table are separated by a point).

3rd in 2023, just behind the top 2 (and only by a couple of points).

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #3902 on: March 18, 2023, 09:50:56 PM »
So, we are 3rd in the league since he took over. Imagine what we can do after a summer transfer window, shaping his own squad…

6th since he came in, behind Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool and Brentford (but 3rd-6th in that form table are separated by a point).

Source? As what I can se we are 3 rd since he came in. Semantics to my point re how positive the future is looking like for us.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3903 on: March 18, 2023, 09:59:40 PM »

Source? As what I can se we are 3 rd since he came in. Semantics to my point re how positive the future is looking like for us.

It is semantics and I agree that the future is very exciting.

Source - https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/LeagueTable?comp_id=718&start_date=30-10-2022&end_date=28-05-2023&start_time=0&end_time=90

I set to the day after Newcastle because whilst he was employed before that he didn't takeover until the man utd game. I'd actually used 01/11/22 to start with, which is why I had Man Utd on 3 points less than in that link. I'm not sure which is fairer, I can't remember the exact date of his first training session.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 10:01:27 PM by paul_e »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3904 on: March 18, 2023, 11:29:11 PM »
When he took over we were a point behind our opponents today, now we're 14 points ahead of them.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3905 on: March 19, 2023, 12:01:56 AM »
When he took over we were a point behind our opponents today, now we're 14 points ahead of them.

That’s quite an incredible stat.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3906 on: March 19, 2023, 12:30:26 AM »

That’s quite an incredible stat.

Until you recall the previous manager was Slippy Gee. Fortunately, I think we've now realised the Head Coach's job is one we should take seriously. He'll always be the most important man at the club yet for decades we've rode our luck with chancers.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3907 on: March 19, 2023, 12:36:40 AM »
I mentioned our form at tea time around the dinner table, not that anyone in my house really likes footy that much, all I got was my eldest saying that’s pretty good as she thought Villa were rubbish. Which to be honest they have been for the most part of her 18 years on this planet.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3908 on: March 19, 2023, 12:43:07 AM »
I mentioned our form at tea time around the dinner table, not that anyone in my house really likes footy that much, all I got was my eldest saying that’s pretty good as she thought Villa were rubbish. Which to be honest they have been for the most part of her 18 years on this planet.

I have so much admiration to any Villa fan that has supported us since 1996. I grew up walking under Witton bridge discussing how many goals we'd beat teams by. If they're still supporting Villa today they have my respect.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3909 on: March 19, 2023, 12:44:17 AM »
We’ve really put up with a lot since 1996 haven’t we? Blimey.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #3910 on: March 19, 2023, 01:37:02 AM »
I've followed the villa since around 92, and I don't think i've had more faith in a manager than i now have in Unai (the MON days were great for a while but there was always the underlying grumble). I genuinely think that if we're not successful with him in charge then it'll never happen.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #3911 on: March 19, 2023, 01:41:42 AM »
I've followed the villa since around 92, and I don't think i've had more faith in a manager than i now have in Unai (the MON days were great for a while but there was always the underlying grumble). I genuinely think that if we're not successful with him in charge then it'll never happen.

We will be. He’s a much more astute manager then MON could ever be.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3912 on: March 19, 2023, 01:44:02 AM »
I really enjoyed that performance and control today. I like the philosophy. I. Just wish more had the patience and faith.

There were a few around me yelling at the players to 'just get it forward' and 'clear it' and groa s when Martinez played it short to. Mings or Konsa.

It's the way we're going to play, and in the most part it's bloody working.

Martinez getting the Holte to calm down was good, shows the players have belief too. I'm in.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #3913 on: March 19, 2023, 01:58:10 AM »

I have so much admiration to any Villa fan that has supported us since 1996. I grew up walking under Witton bridge discussing how many goals we'd beat teams by. If they're still supporting Villa today they have my respect.

I didn't really get in to football until I was 9 ('98 - the World Cup pulled me in) so I haven't seen us win anything. To be incredibly nerdy, I feel like Bane when he said to Batman "...you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it". I'm used to relenltess, cold, hard disappointment. Guess it will be even sweeter when that changes and this is definitely the most positive I have felt. I arguably feel more positive than when under MON, even though he had top 6 finishes under his belt just because it is clear to me that Unai is a better manager. The landscape is obviously tougher but that will make us pissing people off next season feel even better. I remember being at a game and it was about 5/6 months after Bruce took over and I said to my mate "I want him gone in the summer" and I was told it was harsh because it was... but all I said was "I cannot fucking see what we are trying to do, what are we doing? What is he doing?" With Emery I can see what we are doing, an actual plan, a fucking blueprint. Finally... praise the gods. Yes we'll need investment but give him another 3 or 4 top players and we'll be challenging for Europe next season.*

*If it is jam tomorrow after this next window then no worries, I will bathe in the misery once more. I was born in the darkness.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #3914 on: March 19, 2023, 02:58:01 AM »
I really enjoyed that performance and control today. I like the philosophy. I. Just wish more had the patience and faith.

There were a few around me yelling at the players to 'just get it forward' and 'clear it' and groa s when Martinez played it short to. Mings or Konsa.

It's the way we're going to play, and in the most part it's bloody working.

Martinez getting the Holte to calm down was good, shows the players have belief too. I'm in.

It’s a great point and it will require a cultural evolution on our part as a fan base. We’re talking about learning to accept a new style of football whilst supporting the team playing it at the same time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal