collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:16:08 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 659194 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #3870 on: March 18, 2023, 06:34:15 PM »
Jesus - when you see that stat, where did it all go wrong for Gabby.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3871 on: March 18, 2023, 06:38:58 PM »

He bulked up and lost a bit of pace, it ruined him.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #3872 on: March 18, 2023, 06:39:48 PM »
Love this manager. It just feels like he knows what he's doing. I just hope should he have a prolonged dodgy patch he wouldn't be tossed aside like Palace have done with Vieira. Long term I think Emery will be one of most successful bosses.
I don’t think we’re particularly trigger happy under this regime - so I don’t think that would happen

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #3873 on: March 18, 2023, 06:39:51 PM »
To be honest only Bailey and maybe beundia arent lfibding new levels of performance and consitency

A replacement for Bailey has to be the priority signing this summer.  A Buendia replacement is less vital as we already have Coutinho as an alternative option. Plus Buendia has regularly shown glimpses of being very good, just not consistently enough.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3874 on: March 18, 2023, 06:40:09 PM »
Love this manager. It just feels like he knows what he's doing. I just hope should he have a prolonged dodgy patch he wouldn't be tossed aside like Palace have done with Vieira. Long term I think Emery will be one of most successful bosses.
He had his dodgy patch a few games ago - the difference is that it doesn't last long (unlike many others we've had at the helm), because he's an excellent manager who knows how to fix it.

I'm not sure you can call losing to Arsenal and Man City in back-to-back games a "dodgy patch".  Yes, losing to Leicester in the first of those three consecutive lost games was bad (but I thought we actually played okay in that game).  We've had the odd bad result, one terrible one, and a few 'meh' performances, but I certainly don't think we've had anything close to what you'd call a genuine 'bad patch' under him so far.  If the league had started the day he took over, we'd be two points outside the champions league places - you get get there by having bad patches.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3875 on: March 18, 2023, 06:41:16 PM »
Gabby could have been so much more. He had almost everything you need in a top striker except the attitude to reach his potential. Could score left or right foot, really good in the air, good strength and of course blistering world class pace. He turned into a massive bell end post MON and the rest is history.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3876 on: March 18, 2023, 06:48:24 PM »
Gabby could have been so much more. He had almost everything you need in a top striker except the attitude to reach his potential. Could score left or right foot, really good in the air, good strength and of course blistering world class pace. He turned into a massive bell end post MON and the rest is history.

He had a good run under Lambert at one stage in that front three with Benteke and Weimann. Got back into the England reckoning but didn't bother showing up to the squad.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #3877 on: March 18, 2023, 06:52:34 PM »

Indeed, his pace, especially over the first five yards was his unique weapon against premier league defenders - he wasn't a particularly great footballer, or a really clinical finisher, and once he didn't have that unique pace, he just wasn't the same force.  Just look at the photos of him at 20/21, and then at 25/26, he looks about a stone heavier!

Most players that rely on pace try to change their game when they get to 29/30 to add a few years to their top-level careers.  Gabby just did it at 24.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #3878 on: March 18, 2023, 06:56:52 PM »
So
Uni Emery. Clearly a top manager. He knows exactly what he wants and how to get a tune out of players with talent. players that are not up to it will be moved on. The future really is bright this time.

Offline ez

« Reply #3879 on: March 18, 2023, 06:57:00 PM »
Just seen this on Twitter

1 goal conceded in last 4 matches
▪️ 7 goals scored in last 4 matches
▪️ 4 clean sheets in last 8 matches
▪️ 26 points from 14 matches

Our only blots are Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal (don’t mention the cup).

Good form. I can't believe we are still in 11th place.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #3880 on: March 18, 2023, 07:14:11 PM »
Just seen this on Twitter

1 goal conceded in last 4 matches
▪️ 7 goals scored in last 4 matches
▪️ 4 clean sheets in last 8 matches
▪️ 26 points from 14 matches

Our only blots are Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal (don’t mention the cup).

Good form. I can't believe we are still in 11th place.

The other missing blot in those stats is Leicester.  The reason we're only 11th is because we've moved from being in the middle of the mix just above the relegation places, to the bottom of the top half and now well clear of the bottom half.  The league has split down the middle at 11th place. We are 11 (ELEVEN) points clear of the team below us. Which is ridiculous. I don't think I've EVER seen a gap like that in the middle of the table before?  It's like two separate leagues at this point.  To move from the 'bottom league', to the top one, has been a real achievement, and taken a lot of good form - even if we've actually only moved up a couple of places since he took over. However, if we keep up our form we can definitely go higher :-)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3881 on: March 18, 2023, 07:24:03 PM »
If we could finish out the season with 15 wins (by no means impossible when you look at our remaining fixtures) on the board it would be a real statement of intent for next year.

You generally need 17/18 wins over the course of a season to be in the hunt for the European spots.

Going from 14/15 to that figure next time out doesn't require a huge leap of faith.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3882 on: March 18, 2023, 07:30:02 PM »

And started thinking with his willy instead of his heart (never had much of a brain).

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #3883 on: March 18, 2023, 07:40:08 PM »
If we could finish out the season with 15 wins (by no means impossible when you look at our remaining fixtures).

There’s only 11 games left!!!  Sorry, shit joke. 

Europe is probably beyond us this year so being slightly under the radar might help us next season.  Half a dozen games where we catch teams by surprise might make a big difference.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #3884 on: March 18, 2023, 07:40:35 PM »
If we could finish out the season with 15 wins (by no means impossible when you look at our remaining fixtures) on the board it would be a real statement of intent for next year.

You generally need 17/18 wins over the course of a season to be in the hunt for the European spots.

Going from 14/15 to that figure next time out doesn't require a huge leap of faith.
I am sometimes sceptical about naturally progressing on an upward path, as unless you're a really established top 4 team, a good season doesn't guarantee an improvement the following year.

However, I am inclined to agree, if we can improve the squad for next season. Emery has improved several players, notably Watkins, Luiz and McGinn, so if he can build further, we may well continue the upward trajectory.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal