collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711733 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #2565 on: January 22, 2023, 12:09:04 AM »
Gerrard was such a fucking disaster. Absolute waste of time..
That being said, without the gerrard year we wouldn't have had emery, as we would not have persuaded him to join a year earlier. In that sense things have worked out ok

And he bought Kamara.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2566 on: January 22, 2023, 12:27:00 AM »
I don't wish Gerrard any ill will. It just didn't work out - to be fair, it never would have, it was always way, way too much of a jump for him to make.

How things have changed now with Emery. I just found myself thinking I no longer find myself thinking, at the start of a match, that I'm probably going to end up less happy at the end of it than i was at the start.

We are supremely competent. Today, great example. Not a great game and not a scintillating performance, but we controlled that game, and showed enough class to win it.

That's what really good teams do. They win when they play well, yes, but they also win when they're not playing well.

I can hardly begin to count how many matches I've seen us play at Villa Park where the opposition has done to us what we did to Southampton today. Literally hundreds.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2567 on: January 22, 2023, 12:41:03 AM »
He needs backing though, starting this week. He's a great manager, and hopefully our most successful in many a long year, but continuing to get the best out of a fairly average group of players isn't sustainable in the long run. If we've still got that bench against Man City, it will be very disappointing indeed.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #2568 on: January 22, 2023, 12:43:30 AM »
That being said, without the gerrard year we wouldn't have had emery, as we would not have persuaded him to join a year earlier. In that sense things have worked out ok

And he bought Kamara.

Well,he wasthe Manager when Kamara was bought.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2569 on: January 22, 2023, 02:43:00 AM »
I don't wish Gerrard any ill will. It just didn't work out - to be fair, it never would have, it was always way, way too much of a jump for him to make.

I agree with the first part, up to the hyphen. I think a man with his profile and self-confidence was a reasonable bet at the time to make that kind of jump.

I categorically did not like or want him, but I claim no foresight whatsoever. He was shit, but I don't think there was an inevitability about it, I just think - as you rightly say - it didn't work out, and that's that.

I like him more since he was our manager than before.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #2570 on: January 22, 2023, 03:23:11 AM »
He needs backing though, starting this week. He's a great manager, and hopefully our most successful in many a long year, but continuing to get the best out of a fairly average group of players isn't sustainable in the long run. If we've still got that bench against Man City, it will be very disappointing indeed.

Amen.

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #2571 on: January 22, 2023, 09:47:59 AM »
What are the words to the Emery chant? Couldn't pick them up on Villa on Tour

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2572 on: January 22, 2023, 10:34:17 AM »

And he bought Kamara.

Well,he wasthe Manager when Kamara was bought.

Yes he was.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2573 on: January 22, 2023, 10:56:29 AM »
Yes, he does need backing and there is nothing to suggest that he won't be. He's here for a long time hopefully so we don't need to get everything done this month. There's absouley no point in buying just anybody.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #2574 on: January 22, 2023, 11:03:25 AM »
For the first time in ages, we have a manager who doesn't need to buy for survival; and with his long term contract, he can (and most probably is), looking for players that will improve the team for breakthrough into the top 6, safe in the knowledge that it doesn't need to be immediate, but progressive.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2575 on: January 22, 2023, 11:06:01 AM »
For the first time in ages, we have a manager who doesn't need to buy for survival; and with his long term contract, he can (and most probably is), looking for players that will improve the team for breakthrough into the top 6, safe in the knowledge that it doesn't need to be immediate, but progressive.
Steven Gerrard was in the same position.

Offline Risso

« Reply #2576 on: January 22, 2023, 11:13:02 AM »
Yes, he does need backing and there is nothing to suggest that he won't be. He's here for a long time hopefully so we don't need to get everything done this month. There's absouley no point in buying just anybody.

There are currently 5 points between Spurs in 5th and us in 11th. With Chelsea and Liverpool having poor seasons by their standards, this is an ideal time to have a real push at the European places and disrupt the status quo. I don't want players for the sake of it but there's a whole world of players out there who would improve us, and we're in the richest league with amongst the richest owners.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2577 on: January 22, 2023, 11:15:45 AM »
But it does sound like Emery is in control of transfers overall so he'll know who he wants. We're 22 days into his first transfer window and as ever, a bit of patience is needed.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2578 on: January 22, 2023, 11:20:14 AM »

There are currently 5 points between Spurs in 5th and us in 11th. With Chelsea and Liverpool having poor seasons by their standards, this is an ideal time to have a real push at the European places and disrupt the status quo. I don't want players for the sake of it but there's a whole world of players out there who would improve us, and we're in the richest league with amongst the richest owners.
There have been number of times in our recent history when we have missed that ship passing by and ended up drifting on a raft for years and years. We MUST NOT miss this opportunity. Yes buying players in not an exact science but we have failed  by not  doing so in the past when we should have.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2579 on: January 22, 2023, 11:26:31 AM »

There have been number of times in our recent history when we have missed that ship passing by and ended up drifting on a raft for years and years. We MUST NOT miss this opportunity. Yes buying players in not an exact science but we have failed  by not  doing so in the past when we should have.

We’ve always bought players, rarely are they the right ones. That’s maybe because we can’t afford them or they don’t want to come. The first bit shouldn’t be too much of an issue for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal