collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 659266 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #1920 on: November 30, 2022, 09:18:20 AM »
The sound has been muted whenever I've seen Poch as a pundit at the World Cup. He looks like he's done a Lambert since taking a break from football. Looks younger and healthier or "a softer Roy Keane" as my girlfriend put it.

But yeah, has he been boring and clichéd as a pundit? Most of them are. Ian Wright one of the few who buck the trend imo.
Maybe he hasn't been using English for quite a while, he seems to struggle to get his thoughts across.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1921 on: November 30, 2022, 10:33:35 AM »
Probably why he couldn't get a tune out of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #1922 on: November 30, 2022, 12:01:04 PM »
I wonder how many of us thought so highly of Emery before we appointed him? When the betting odds first came out, I hoped for Pochettino and didn't really think much of Emery when I saw his name. It was only when I started reading up/watching things about him when the penny dropped and I realised he was the best of what we could realistically get. Now, it's just nice to have someone who's known for organising, studying opponents relentlessly and being hot on tactics/in-game changes. Compare that to the previous guy.

He's been top of my list for a long time, the kind of manager I wanted us to appoint ever since Lerner took over.

FTFY

Yep!  Spot on.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1923 on: December 01, 2022, 02:04:40 AM »
I wonder how many of us thought so highly of Emery before we appointed him? When the betting odds first came out, I hoped for Pochettino and didn't really think much of Emery when I saw his name. It was only when I started reading up/watching things about him when the penny dropped and I realised he was the best of what we could realistically get. Now, it's just nice to have someone who's known for organising, studying opponents relentlessly and being hot on tactics/in-game changes. Compare that to the previous guy.

He's been top of my list for a long time, the kind of manager I wanted us to appoint ever since NSWE took over.

I had him as my 'want' on the poll and I've kept an eye on him for years because of the surname. I'd only not been putting him forward because I thought he was a bit ahead of where we are. I think getting him is a massive coup and if he gets backed by everyone at the club this can be the start of something special.

He's miles ahead of anyone at the world cup.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1924 on: December 01, 2022, 08:02:14 AM »
I never considered him because I thought he was out of our league.
Same as Poch really.

Online Drummond

« Reply #1925 on: December 01, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »
Same as Poch really.

I'm not sure about Pochettino, never really won much..

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1926 on: December 01, 2022, 11:37:57 AM »
Same as Poch really.

I considered him out of our league from a point of view that he didn't fancy us and generally didn't think it would happen.

The club made the right choice :)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1927 on: December 01, 2022, 01:16:28 PM »
Same as Poch really.

I think Poch needs a club like Villa right now and, if he's not careful, he might not get many more chances. Emery really should've been on the radar of every big club in the world with his record, so him being interested and 'available' for us was unexpected, as soon as I saw his name seriously mentioned he was my first choice.

Online Drummond

« Reply #1928 on: December 01, 2022, 02:20:08 PM »
Same as Poch really.

I considered him out of our league from a point of view that he didn't fancy us and generally didn't think it would happen.

The club made the right choice :)

I think he thinks he's out of our league, but in reality he's one of those people who gets promoted above their level, can't reproduce what they've done before, yet people still think he's all that and he gets more jobs.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1929 on: December 01, 2022, 03:05:35 PM »
He had stalled with Villareal in terms of league progression, maybe that put suitors off.

Online luke95

« Reply #1930 on: December 06, 2022, 07:19:20 PM »
With Spains dismal showing in the world cup & no doubt sacking of  Enrique should we be worried our  Emery being taken for their job so soon?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1931 on: December 06, 2022, 07:25:40 PM »
No

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1932 on: December 07, 2022, 11:26:33 AM »
More so, that it's good that we needed to act when we did. If he was still at Villareal, he might have been thinking that way.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1933 on: December 07, 2022, 11:38:00 AM »
With Spains dismal showing in the world cup & no doubt sacking of  Enrique should we be worried our  Emery being taken for their job so soon?
No. National teams, even big football nations, no longer poach top coaches from big clubs. Germany were only able to get Herr Flick after Bayern appointed Nagelsmann.

Online jwarry

« Reply #1934 on: December 25, 2022, 10:04:37 AM »
I was just thinking, notwithstanding Unai wanting to bring in his own players, there seems to be a lot of talk that he is happy with a lot of the players he already has, and he’s already shown that if the kids are good enough to fit his system then they will get their chance e.g.  Kaden Young and Arjan Raikhy.  Given their rapid rise I wonder what he will think of the kids we have out on loan eg KKH, Louis, Tim and Finn?  It would be a shame if he didn’t have a good look before bringing in his own

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal