collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 691094 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #1905 on: November 29, 2022, 01:27:05 PM »
I wonder how many of us thought so highly of Emery before we appointed him? When the betting odds first came out, I hoped for Pochettino and didn't really think much of Emery when I saw his name. It was only when I started reading up/watching things about him when the penny dropped and I realised he was the best of what we could realistically get. Now, it's just nice to have someone who's known for organising, studying opponents relentlessly and being hot on tactics/in-game changes. Compare that to the previous guy.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1906 on: November 29, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
Randomly occurred to me: would we rather have any of the WC coaches instead of Unai?

(Apart from Gareth, of course - the Villa legend who doesn't like to go more than 48 hours without belittling us or selling one of our players.)
I don't think there is anyone currently managing in this World Cup I'd swap with.
Emery seems a perfect fit although it would be really interesting to see how he guided England in a tournament (if he wasn't managing us)

He'd be slagged-off for his accent and for playing for draws, probably.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1907 on: November 29, 2022, 01:56:14 PM »
I'm not going to go quite that big that early, we're Villa and there's bound to be hiccups.  But I think it's a very good appointment, probably as good as we could have realistically have hoped for, and it's exciting to see what he can achieve with us.  It's great to see a tangible plan and having the players look like they know what they're doing.  But sometimes a low block for half hour trying to see out a game or eek out a draw will come back to bite us and when it does as fans we have to hold our nerve and trust he knows what he's doing in the long run.  This isn't Steve Bruce.

Eddie Howe is currently walking the walk with pretty modest investment.  Let's hope Unai can too.  These two could really shake up the current order, bring it on.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1908 on: November 29, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »
I'm not going to go quite that big that early, we're Villa and there's bound to be hiccups.  But I think it's a very good appointment, probably as good as we could have realistically have hoped for, and it's exciting to see what he can achieve with us.  It's great to see a tangible plan and having the players look like they know what they're doing.  But sometimes a low block for half hour trying to see out a game or eek out a draw will come back to bite us and when it does as fans we have to hold our nerve and trust he knows what he's doing in the long run.  This isn't Steve Bruce.

Eddie Howe is currently walking the walk with pretty modest investment.  Let's hope Unai can too.  These two could really shake up the current order, bring it on.

Modest? He spent over £120million in the summer. They've spent £210million in two windows since the takeover just over a year ago.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1909 on: November 29, 2022, 02:24:51 PM »
I think it's modest given what state the squad was in when he took over.  More impressive given how they've mostly had to over-pay because of who the owners are.  In his first season he turned them round mainly with just the addition of Burn, Wood and Targett (Trippier was injured straight away and Bruno didn't play for 8 weeks or so whilst he settled in).  To me that was pretty incredible.  So yeah, in my opinion given where they were and where they are now, that's a great return on a modest investment.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #1910 on: November 29, 2022, 02:38:31 PM »
I wonder how many of us thought so highly of Emery before we appointed him? When the betting odds first came out, I hoped for Pochettino and didn't really think much of Emery when I saw his name. It was only when I started reading up/watching things about him when the penny dropped and I realised he was the best of what we could realistically get. Now, it's just nice to have someone who's known for organising, studying opponents relentlessly and being hot on tactics/in-game changes. Compare that to the previous guy.

He's been top of my list for a long time, the kind of manager I wanted us to appoint ever since NSWE took over.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1911 on: November 29, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »

He's been top of my list for a long time, the kind of manager I wanted us to appoint ever since Lerner took over.

FTFY

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1912 on: November 29, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »

Very highly including the still out of work Pochettino who i never rated

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1913 on: November 29, 2022, 04:20:19 PM »

I don’t know if many of us thought it was realistic for us to get him. Successful and seemed happy at Villarreal. So to get him mid season was a surprise to us all.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1914 on: November 29, 2022, 07:30:08 PM »
I wanted Poch but have been surprised how poor he has come across as a pundit during the World Cup

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1915 on: November 29, 2022, 08:13:02 PM »
I wanted Poch but have been surprised how poor he has come across as a pundit during the World Cup

I thought that, his English was also much worse than I expected given his time at Spurs

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1916 on: November 29, 2022, 08:23:38 PM »
I'm not a but surprised about Poch. Up there with that other charlatan Rogers riding the managerial gravy train.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1917 on: November 29, 2022, 09:08:28 PM »

I’m not sure the skill sets match up really.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1918 on: November 29, 2022, 10:21:51 PM »
Randomly occurred to me: would we rather have any of the WC coaches instead of Unai?

(Apart from Gareth, of course - the Villa legend who doesn't like to go more than 48 hours without belittling us or selling one of our players.)
Would like to see the Villa 'legend' in charge of a Premier or Championship team.Don't think it would be a good outcome.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1919 on: November 29, 2022, 10:46:02 PM »
The sound has been muted whenever I've seen Poch as a pundit at the World Cup. He looks like he's done a Lambert since taking a break from football. Looks younger and healthier or "a softer Roy Keane" as my girlfriend put it.

But yeah, has he been boring and clichéd as a pundit? Most of them are. Ian Wright one of the few who buck the trend imo.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal