collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711761 times)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #1080 on: November 03, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »
'Without the sheer dumb luck of having had Jack Grealish, the club would not be in the Premier League'...

What a penis that writer is.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1081 on: November 03, 2022, 12:36:34 PM »
"But while Emery differs in CV and character to Gerrard, his appointment is a similar vanity gamble by the board. If Villa qualify for Europe, they have the ideal coach to lead them. This feels like fretting over who to hire as a live-in chef when you win the EuroMillions."

Vanity gamble my arse, what a stupid comment. All we need is somebody to get a tune out of our expensively assembled squad. It's early in the season and not like we need an Allardyce-type sergeant major to dig us out of a relegation hole with 8 games to go.

Offline Broadlee

« Reply #1082 on: November 03, 2022, 12:38:54 PM »
I take it his coaching staff are still waiting on their work permits?

Do we Know if Pako Ayestaran has accepted the assistant manager role?

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #1083 on: November 03, 2022, 12:47:31 PM »
The title of this article feels like a wind up but it has to be said it goes on to make some interesting points.

https://www.football365.com/news/aston-villa-appointed-elite-coach-unai-emery-not-elite-club-opinion

File under "Meh".     I mean, there's so many holes in the piece one wonders where to start?  The writer seems to forget - or underplay - that Emery has proven Premier League experience and (despite the complaints of Arsenal fans)  did a more than decent job of achieving top six finishes and reaching a European cup final all while blooding some of the youngsters their current side is built around. If they had given him time and not hounded him out, who knows what they might have achieved?  Their loss is hopefully our gain.

The author seems to have overlooked how we have gone down the road of giving British managers a chance, too, (post-O'Neill) and none of them have had the chops to take us to where we want to be.   Having read the piece several times, it makes little sense.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1084 on: November 03, 2022, 12:57:33 PM »
It's a strange argument for bringing in a Dyche or Hassenhutl instead. We have the eight highest wage bill in the league so that's where we should be aiming. The author correctly nails the Gerrard appointment and isn't incorrect about Jack Grealish 's impact on other coaches and players.

It does appear the owners have moved Purslow aside somewhat in sacking Gerrard and bringing in Emery. Will be interesting to see what the future holds for Purslow and Lange over the next few weeks and months. I still fear we aren't aligned at all behind the scenes behind a clear strategy and are punting on Emery to get it right instead.

I do have a concern that our squad isn't overly suited to a high press type game. Ideal first game coming up, I'd expect Ramsey further forward like he was v Citeh.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1085 on: November 03, 2022, 01:15:58 PM »
Getting ideas above our station, that’s what it is about

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1086 on: November 03, 2022, 01:25:20 PM »
There's more than a touch of one eyedness and envy about that article.

Emery is an elite level manager - but was managing Villareal at the time we acquired him. They've had an incredible few years but they're roughly somewhere between the Leicester and Norwich of Spanish football.

Seville and Valencia have a similar support base and profile to what we do, so he's not exactly slumming it by coming here.

And I'm sure a West Ham fan wanted us to go for Dyche or Hassenhutl instead, as I'm sure Newcastle and Everton fans did as well.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 01:33:04 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1087 on: November 03, 2022, 01:31:27 PM »
I take it his coaching staff are still waiting on their work permits?

Do we Know if Pako Ayestaran has accepted the assistant manager role?

No idea but while you're waiting, this is worth a read about Pako Ayestaran and his time at Liverpool.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1088 on: November 03, 2022, 01:33:43 PM »
The title of this article feels like a wind up but it has to be said it goes on to make some interesting points.

https://www.football365.com/news/aston-villa-appointed-elite-coach-unai-emery-not-elite-club-opinion

File under "Meh".     I mean, there's so many holes in the piece one wonders where to start?  The writer seems to forget - or underplay - that Emery has proven Premier League experience and (despite the complaints of Arsenal fans)  did a more than decent job of achieving top six finishes and reaching a European cup final all while blooding some of the youngsters their current side is built around. If they had given him time and not hounded him out, who knows what they might have achieved?  Their loss is hopefully our gain.

The author seems to have overlooked how we have gone down the road of giving British managers a chance, too, (post-O'Neill) and none of them have had the chops to take us to where we want to be.   Having read the piece several times, it makes little sense.
Theres an element of truth in it - we don't really know what happens when a really good manager manages Villa cos we have so rarely had one.

The Stupid Dumb luck of having JG being the only reason were in the premiership is annoyingly lazy - as we could well have been promoted in subsequent seasons.  Furthermore, it misses the fact that 1 manager in his entire career managed to get him preforming at that level.   If he wasn't english he would be seen as a big flop at City - under the "best coach ever TM"

Also - a lot of Emery's achievements haven't been at Elite clubs.  In fact he has done better at the non-elite clubs suggesting that actually he could be well suited to reviving the club. 

I agree with brontebilly - there is a concern about how Joined up the senior management is - and I just cross my fingers that the SG appointment was CP getting above his station on what, up until then, had seemed a well thought-out process. 

But - its another annoying article - which is pretty much the state of football jourlism one minute "Saying Newcastle already may have made it a big 7" based on a 9 month good run. 

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1089 on: November 03, 2022, 01:39:32 PM »
Having a fucking West Ham supporter suggest we're getting ideas above our station is a laugh as well, a club with a fraction of the success of fucking Spurs, dear God.

No doubt after posting it he logged onto KUMB to tell them all that he really thinks were all wankers.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1090 on: November 03, 2022, 01:45:26 PM »
Imagine the sheer dumb luck of being given a new stadium paid for by tax payers rather than playing in a dilapidated hovel with what appeared to be giant plastic hammers attached to the front of it.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1091 on: November 03, 2022, 01:48:24 PM »
Imagine the sheer dumb luck of being given a new stadium paid for by tax payers rather than playing in a dilapidated hovel with what appeared to be giant plastic hammers attached to the front of it.

That was funny, made the place look like that crappy Excalibur hotel in Vegas.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1092 on: November 03, 2022, 01:49:57 PM »
Unai carrying the dummy wall around himself as well. No Bibs and Cones for him.

Also Ironically his favourite song is ‘I’m a one man band’ by little Leo Sayer
amazing when you think about it

Who i am going to see tomorrow night at Birmingham Town Hall - Sayer that is No Emery

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1093 on: November 03, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
Having a fucking West Ham supporter suggest we're getting ideas above our station is a laugh as well, a club with a fraction of the success of fucking Spurs, dear God.

Indeed. Spurs, a club whose last league title was closer to the reign of Queen Victoria than the present day.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1094 on: November 03, 2022, 01:56:28 PM »
The other thing with twat articles like this is they're generally written by Generation Z/ late millenials who have little interest in football beyond the last 10 years.

If the last decade was your only reference you probably would think we were a perma lower table/ Championship side.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal