collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How should the team be set up?  (Read 4935 times)

Online N'ZMAV

Re: How should the team be set up?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 07:58:46 AM »
We sign a playmaker who has all the ability in the world, then constantly hoof the ball over his head, which, to me suggests that Gerrard doesn't rate the midfielders. So, lets play with the ball on the floor once we replace the average midfielders, and sign a striker who can control the ball, and we'll be fine with the current formation.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 09:45:11 AM »
You usually have to win the midfield to win matches.
So I would go 4 -2-3-1 providing a platform and defensive screen.
I believe this system would most suit the players we have.
The 3 a combination from Coutinho Buendia Ramsey Bailey Luiz even Mcginn.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2022, 11:39:46 AM »
I really don’t get the criticism of Cash and Digne. I think they are excellent players. I think the midfield is the major issue and once it is fixed, the rest of the team would function to suit. The Man City game shown that.

Digne has flattered to deceive since he joined and has the physical strength of an anorexic puppy.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »
We sign a playmaker who has all the ability in the world, then constantly hoof the ball over his head, which, to me suggests that Gerrard doesn't rate the midfielders. So, lets play with the ball on the floor once we replace the average midfielders, and sign a striker who can control the ball, and we'll be fine with the current formation.

Yeah, let’s get brilliant midfielders to cover the full backs instead of average ones, that’ll work.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 07:25:32 PM »
I really don’t get the criticism of Cash and Digne. I think they are excellent players. I think the midfield is the major issue and once it is fixed, the rest of the team would function to suit. The Man City game shown that.

Digne has flattered to deceive since he joined and has the physical strength of an anorexic puppy.

One thing I have noticed is that Digne links up well with Coutinho when the latter drifts out to the left.  Would definitely look at trying that if we go to a 4-2-3-1.  Coutinho on the left, Bailey on the right and then one of Buendia, Ramsey or McGinn in the central role. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 08:17:38 PM »
Our exploitation of space isn't good enough.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 09:41:44 PM »
The first team that needs a change making to it is the coaching team, starting at the top.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 10:12:37 PM »

Yeah, we haven’t even been to the moon for half a century now.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 10:25:25 PM »

Yeah, we haven’t even been to the moon for half a century now.

The signing of Antonio Luna finally makes sense now.

Offline RiderJake

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2022, 08:24:42 AM »
The first team that needs a change making to it is the coaching team, starting at the top.

That's for sure. Change the coaching team, and the rest of the team will change. But the coaches don't think so  ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 12:02:31 PM by RiderJake »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2022, 12:12:28 PM »
On this topic, here's some more info -
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/sep/22/football-formations-hybrid-systems
Quote from: The Grauniad
Before every game the ritual for any fan, pundit, player or coach is to look at the lineups and formations. The debates of how a tactical battle between one team playing 4-4-2 and the other operating with 3-5-2, for example, will be discussed, but in the modern era things are a lot more complex and players do not function in a rigid system. Instead, they have individual roles within a carefully designed blueprint.

All systems are hybrids and dynamic nowadays and defining them in terms of traditional formations is too simplistic. How a team lines up for kick-off does not reflect what is going to happen for the next 90 minutes. Top-level football is becoming like the NFL, where coaches have specific plans for different phases of play. Players will know where they need to be when their team are in possession in order to get the ball to the most effective players at the business end of the pitch.

The best example I have seen of fluidity within gameplay recently was Chelsea v Tottenham. I really liked what Chelsea were doing when in a back five: Reece James was on the right of three centre-backs and Ruben Loftus-Cheek was at right wing-back. Within James’s remit was to go tight to Son Heung-min and if the South Korean went into midfield James went with him and others would cover the space he vacated.

Sometimes James was part of a back three with Loftus-Cheek at right wing-back, at times those roles were reversed and on other occasions James was a central midfielder or right-back. He and Loftus-Cheek had three or four roles within one job. These are the multifaceted aspects of modern football.

Chelsea Women under Emma Hayes operate with the same philosophy. Last Sunday, against Liverpool, they were fluid in how they moved and rotated. Central midfielders ended up on the left, strikers at left-back. There was so much rotation, maybe a little too much. It was possibly a case of experimenting to see how they could use different plans throughout the season. It was their first game and they were trying to get used to the fluidity levels required.

Teams often defend with four or five and attack with five or six. We have seen it a lot under Pep Guardiola at Manchester City. He used to have one full-back who would come into central midfield and now we pretty much see two; those two are part of his four in defence and then six attack.

Players such as Kevin De Bruyne can not be pigeonholed as being one position. He drifts to where he can make the most impact. Trying to define his role is impossible. He just knows where he should be to make the most of the incredible qualities he has, whether that is out wide or through the middle, and a hybrid attacking system allows him to move into the right positions at the best time.

These are complex football theories and it takes great coaching to get players to understand what is demanded from them. The best coaches can simplify matters to allow information to be taken on board. If you have watched the recent Arsenal documentary you will know how Mikel Arteta breaks things down with his drawings and clear explanations.

Granit Xhaka has played significantly higher up the pitch for Arsenal this season, pushing on because someone behind him has done likewise. People think of Xhaka as a defensively minded midfielder but he is now moving into the right positions in more attacking areas.

If you look at his heatmap, he is a lot higher up overall because Arsenal start in a back four but when they are in possession they move to a three and Oleksandr Zinchenko or Ben White move into midfield, allowing Xhaka to progress up the pitch. Occasionally both full-backs move up, with Thomas Partey dropping back to cover as a third centre-back.

Football is a dynamic environment, adapting and changing for the better. Tactics are not limited to rigid formations. The best industries use research to improve and football is doing that by using stats to make the most of your strengths and others’ weaknesses.
Although some of what is said here is obvious, I struggle to see how Villa is using the available data to create a more tailored approach to each game, using the strengths of the squad in different ways.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
I agree with most of that article but I think he is overstating it a little.

Look at the Chelsea example, the 'correct' bit is that they had James staying close to Son. Everything else after that is a result of that not extra tactical layers on top.

It's also silly to compare to the NFL where the stop-start nature of the game makes pretty much every play the equivalent of a setp piece move. You cannot plan to that extent in a 'live' game so instead you give broad instructions on the shape you want in various areas of the pitch and then work on how to get players into those positions quickly.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2022, 04:05:31 PM »
Emery is tactically flexible but likes a 4-2-3-1.
Theres a use of full backs attacking but in a far more structured and useful system than under SG.
Also we will become a team that will build up play from the back as well as having a press on the opposition so I feel likes of Watkins and Buendia will flourish.
Not only this with emphasis to attack Ings will be vital in the system and playing to his strengths we can see him as a regular goalscorer.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2022, 04:10:27 PM »
For the first time in over a decade I genuinely won't presume to even stick my oar in on this subject. In comes a manager who obviously knows more than all but, what, maximum 10 in the whole of his profession? It's a crazy situation I don't think we've ever been in before, to be at the real bleeding edge of things.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2022, 05:25:43 PM »
I really can't see past 4-2-3-1 with the team we have. 4-3-3 just doesn't seem to suit the players at all. Having the two players in front of the defence will make even more sense when Kamara is fit, him and Luiz will be as good a ball playing double pivot as just about anywhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal