collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How should the team be set up?  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
How should the team be set up?
« on: September 18, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
I'm interested in how people see the set-up and what Gerrard thinks he's trying to achieve.
I'll kick it off with these thoughts.
Digne is emblematic of where we are. Gerrard's first signing, I was enthusiastic about him when at Everton and pleased that we signed him (despite not really agreeing that leftback, with Targett, was a priority area for reinforcement). Now, I'd be happy for him to be dropped and for the tactical 'experiment' to be stopped.
With the players we have, I'd be in favour of lining up with a back 4 which transitions into a back 3 when we're in possession - as Arsenal and Citeh do. If we did this, we'd focus our attacks down our RHS through Cash and others.
Starting line-up (assumes all are fit): Martinez-Cash-Konsa-Carlos-Mings / Luiz-Kamara-Ramsey / Coutinho-Watkins (I'd prefer Archer ...)-Buendia

In possession this goes to: Martinez-Konsa-Carlos-Mings / Cash-Luiz-Kamara-Ramsey / Coutinho-Watkins-Buendia

Out of possession: Martinez-Cash-Konsa-Carlos-Mings / Luiz-Kamara-Ramsey-Buendia / Coutinho-Watkins

Obviously, they'd be variations on this depending on the opposition, and we'll have to find a decent long-term replacement for Luiz. Cash, over time, will be challenged by KKH, and A Ramsey may well come into contention too.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: How should the team be set up?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 02:39:58 PM »
Does that mean we rely on Mings to provide width on the left with Ramsey?

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 03:21:12 PM »
personally - I would like some of the attacking responsibility to be taken of the fullback - more simialr to the role under dean smith, where the would overlap - but not neccessary be the main width outlet.   I dont think either of them are good enough going forward or backwards to have so much to cover - and would benefit from being a bit more traditional fullbacks

I would like the midfield to and / or the forward players to provide some more the that width depending on the team setup - I think ramsey, watkins and baileys pace could be used more - by mixing it up rather than playing out from the back so often - and / or moving the ball more quickly at times

In general - I think we would benefit from having the fullbacks play as fullbacks and the midfeidlers play as midfielders - because that better suits the players we have.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 03:40:22 PM »
A proper anwser to this would take forever but the short version:
Our defensive shape is decent, this doesn't need much to change.
We do need to improve our transition into our defensive shape. This can be the niggly fouls approach or we can train so that we start with the nearest player filling the gap and then filter players into the 'correct' places as we can.
When we win the ball back we need to give more options to shift into attack, we're terrible for only having 1 option for the pass, which is why we're slow and predictable.
In attack we need more coached movement where we force defenders to make decisions to hold shape or track a run.

I honestly think we could coach this into the team between now and the next game if we wanted to, as it is I can't see anything in our play to show what we're doing at BMH.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 04:43:36 PM »
           Martinez           
Cash     Konza     Mings     Digne
       Kamara     Luiz       
   Bailey   Buendia   Guilbert   
   Ings   

-Martinez is the best goalkeeper I've ever known at Villa
-Konza and Mings for all their faults are still the best partnership for defence that we currently have
-Kamara and Luiz would have been something that I'd have liked to see more of
-Buendia invested in and allowed to pull the strings and have fun
-Guilbert as left midfield: Yes. He had the legs and enthusiasm and I'm sick of seeing McGinn and Ramsay there now.
-Ings over Watkins for his finishing.

Not perfect but I'd be happy to scrap whatever we're currently asking the players to try and do. It seems to work one in ten games. I think this would see us more competitive and creating chances.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 04:57:12 PM »
Go back to 4-2-3-1.

What we're playing now just isn't very interesting to watch and leads to low chance creation so it really isn't working.

Full backs are big part of it in this Gerrard formation but problem I have is with positions they're taking up teams are comfortably crowding them out and they're having to cross from difficult areas. When was the last time one of Digne/Cash on the overlap got fed a pass in the box and were able to slide a cross along six yard box? They're both crossing from 25 yards out usually.

Potential bad injury to Kamara is another disappointment otherwise it really should be him and Luiz in the double pivot up to world cup break, it worked v Man. City after all.

Beyond that I think at this point in his career Ramsey drifting in from left isn't a bad idea and then you perm three attackers for other positions depending on form.

It's nothing a good manager can't fix....so well remain an issue for next two months unless we lose our next three in which case Gerrard is surely gone.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 05:37:49 PM »
A new manager would be a great start. Until then we're just wasting time.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 05:39:51 PM »
A new manager would be a great start. Until then we're just wasting time.

This.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 06:02:33 PM »
Go back to 4-2-3-1.

What we're playing now just isn't very interesting to watch and leads to low chance creation so it really isn't working.

Full backs are big part of it in this Gerrard formation but problem I have is with positions they're taking up teams are comfortably crowding them out and they're having to cross from difficult areas. When was the last time one of Digne/Cash on the overlap got fed a pass in the box and were able to slide a cross along six yard box? They're both crossing from 25 yards out usually.

Potential bad injury to Kamara is another disappointment otherwise it really should be him and Luiz in the double pivot up to world cup break, it worked v Man. City after all.

Beyond that I think at this point in his career Ramsey drifting in from left isn't a bad idea and then you perm three attackers for other positions depending on form.

It's nothing a good manager can't fix....so well remain an issue for next two months unless we lose our next three in which case Gerrard is surely gone.
I think this is the big issue with the fullbacks providing width - I think Ings and Watkins would thrive if they could get service like that into the box

Basically they are not providing width - cash cant cross, and digne cant beat a player

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 06:22:31 PM »
Does that mean we rely on Mings to provide width on the left with Ramsey?
No, we should get that from Ramsey and Coutinho

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 09:41:49 PM »
4231 until the end of the season.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 10:33:35 PM »
To win.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 10:34:46 PM »

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 12:59:01 AM »
"All you've got to do is Win" (Bowie, Young Americans - best track imo).

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 07:52:48 AM »
I really don’t get the criticism of Cash and Digne. I think they are excellent players. I think the midfield is the major issue and once it is fixed, the rest of the team would function to suit. The Man City game shown that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal