collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bournemouth v Villa Post match thread  (Read 23651 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Bournemouth v Villa Post match thread
« Reply #300 on: August 07, 2022, 01:17:17 PM »
I’m surprised people can’t see the plan. It’s shit, and has been for ages, but it’s a plan.

How many crosses? 38 was it?

I was all in favour of playing Ings up front instead of Watkins because he suits more our style of attacking play which until yesterday was short, one touch passes through the middle. Watkins' ball control is poor and he ends our moves by giving the ball away. What we saw yesterday was our number 10 Coutinho out on the left flank with Digne and Ramsey. Everything first half was going down the left and Bournemouth easily dealt with it. I'm really not sure what we were trying to achieve but it was extremely obvious early on it wasn't working.

On reflection I think the high number of crosses was more in desperation rather than a serious plan in the hope that a Bournemouth defender would stumble on the ball and Ings would punish him. We certainly weren't looking to create our own chances.

Offline Delboy Villan

« Reply #301 on: August 07, 2022, 01:26:35 PM »
The opposition has learnt than man marking Couthino nullifies him completely and stops us creating anything? Cash needs a rest IMO and KKH needs a run in the team.
Carlos and Konsa were bullied by a Championship striker yesterday, this partnership needs changing? Try Mings and Carlos please?
Everton are a big side and their corners will be harder to defend than Bournemouth's.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #302 on: August 07, 2022, 01:30:29 PM »
Agree about Cash, he hasn't looked at the races through pre-season and yesterday he never once looked like his old self.

Ramsey the same. We can't afford to allow him to play his way back to fitness and form.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #303 on: August 07, 2022, 01:33:56 PM »
I've just read we lumped 31 (THIRTY ONE) crosses into the box yesterday. I wonder if this is down to Critchley as with Beale we tried and generally failed to play everything through the middle.

There's a massive difference between crosses and quality crosses eh

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #304 on: August 07, 2022, 01:37:21 PM »
I've just read we lumped 31 (THIRTY ONE) crosses into the box yesterday. I wonder if this is down to Critchley as with Beale we tried and generally failed to play everything through the middle.

There's a massive difference between crosses and quality crosses eh

Indeed. Maybe the number reflect 'attempted' crosses as plenty never beat the first man.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #305 on: August 07, 2022, 01:46:17 PM »
The way we are getting bullied is worrying why do we persist with this wing back system utterly predictable.  On paper we look decent,but there is something not right we just don’t look like a cohesive team

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #306 on: August 07, 2022, 01:56:27 PM »
The way we are getting bullied is worrying why do we persist with this wing back system utterly predictable.  On paper we look decent,but there is something not right we just don’t look like a cohesive team

Agreed, the whole does not equal the sum of its parts.

Of course, that can change with a few tweaks and as players get used to each other but there is no escaping the fact that yesterday we were hopeless and it has knocked a bit of belief out of a lot of fans.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #307 on: August 07, 2022, 02:03:48 PM »
Bit off topic this I know. Didn't know where to put it though. A fine for a booking in the prem or sending off is the same as the Sunday league starting at £10-£15... !!!@

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »
We don't play like Liverpool at all and that isn't a comment on quality, but a comment on set up. We don't have 3 centre forwards, two of which hit a consistent diagonal run. We don't play a flat 3 in midfield and we don't have both full backs consistently pushed up so advanced that we play a de facto 2 at the back/prey for VVD recovery speed.
You are right we play nothing like Liverpool, we do push the fullbacks on, we do have 3 in midfield but that is where the similarities end. The ne team is successful pushing on the fullbacks.

Online Skerra

« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2022, 02:50:39 PM »
Also, I’ll give you one guess as to which team let me down on my 8 match accumulater yesterday!!

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #310 on: August 07, 2022, 03:00:07 PM »
Mmmmmm.

Typical Villa - ruthless? Clueless more like - failing with the defensive basics at set pieces - this comes down to basic coaching.

Anyway, on to Everton.

Carlos won't  be dropped, but there must be questions over Konsa. Gerrard seems to have a problem with Mings (for reasons unknown). In which case Callum Chambers has to start - he hasn't let us down so far.

Difficult to know where to begin with the midfield/forward line. They didn't looked particularly effective or cohesive pre-season and unless we can bring back Andy Gray or Peter Withe in their prime, lumping balls into the box is a waste of time.  Surely we can find a way of moving the ball around more quickly on the ground and finding space.

That being said, beat Everton on Saturday and the smiles and hope will return.

Offline Delboy Villan

« Reply #311 on: August 07, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »
Yesterday that Kiefer Moore showed our players what commitment is? Funny how their players went down with cramp a lot more than ours? Is that more running by Bournemouth or better fitness from our lads? Mmmmm!!!!

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #312 on: August 07, 2022, 03:10:50 PM »
I assumed it was just them running down the clock.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #313 on: August 07, 2022, 03:29:37 PM »
SG wants Mings to “look him in the eye”. From yesterday there are a large number who must be avoiding his gaze.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2022, 03:30:12 PM »
Yeah, do we have the stat for how long the ball was in play? The PL want to improve the average this season as it has been dropping presumably due to all the diving and VARse.

There must have been a fair bit of time-wasting yesterday as 6 minutes were added at the end, not that we would have scored in a month of Sundays.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal