collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bournemouth v Villa Post match thread  (Read 24141 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bournemouth v Villa Post match thread
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
Bournemouth will beat other teams this season. The surprise and indignation that they dared to beat us despite "having better players". This, along with sack the manager with 37 games to go, makes me think some of you came down with the midweek rain.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2022, 12:05:12 PM »
I've just read we lumped 31 (THIRTY ONE) crosses into the box yesterday. I wonder if this is down to Critchley as with Beale we tried and generally failed to play everything through the middle.

Offline pelty

« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2022, 12:18:55 PM »
Half-time subs are the stuff of losing 2-0 at home - not 1-0 to the relegation favourites. Just odd that it hasn't been mentioned much.

Not sure that’s true. Gerrard regularly gets slated for not making changes early enough. Also I think the 5 subs thing will take some adapting too, and I suspect earlier changes becomes more of a norm when teams are losing - certainly in the short-term.

The first 45 mins of a new season shouldn't see the manager having to make half-time subs. It looks terrible. The plan would have been worked on and going a goal down happens but you should have confidence in your plan.  To have to change so quickly because things are so bad is pretty damning.

Ramsey needed subbing. He is a decent player but should not be starting. Not saying he is rubbish or will not be a good player for us, but on the back of the end of last season and this preseason he has not shown enough to start when we have other options.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
in Fairness Coutinho was dreadful yesterday, for someone who is supposed to be comfortable on the ball with a delicate touch and ball skills he gave the ball away more often than he found his man

That’s not tactics that’s someone being a bit shit and out of form on the day
The tactics bit is to hook him off and put someone better on earlier

That’s not tactics that’s personnel. The tactics bit is the empty midfield every game because the midfielders are covering the full-backs.

That's it in a nutshell.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2022, 12:28:46 PM »
Bournemouth will beat other teams this season. The surprise and indignation that they dared to beat us despite "having better players". This, along with sack the manager with 37 games to go, makes me think some of you came down with the midweek rain.

Speaking for myself and I hope a lot of us on here, I don't think any of us are debating anything about Bournemouth, in Fact I don't care who the opposition were yesterday our whole attitude and ineptitude was the issue.

Offline Delboy Villan

« Reply #290 on: August 07, 2022, 12:47:32 PM »
I cannot remember the last time I was so angry about a Villa performance. The Manager said 'give me a pre-season' quite soon after he arrived and got a free pass last year because we did see some occasional glimmers of hope and blamed the poor results on lack of consistency and not knowing Gerrard's system? Of course forgetting that Eddie Howe under similar circumstances seemed not to have these problems? I expected us to come out firing, however for the second game running we conceded a goal at the first corner, seemingly we lack concentration and height (without Mings), playing Carlos and Konsa together seems a bit of a no no?
Then we have Couthino, who has struggled after the first 6 games back and in pre-season did nothing expect hit a post with a free kick get an automatic spot?
To be honest I don't care about who the captain is as its not like cricket but again McGinn IMO only looks good on paper and by stats. JJ has lost his confidence. Luis is sideways man. Why not try Samson as he looked the best 8 we have during pre-season? 
Our strikers are lost, why drop Watkins? it is not like Ings scored a bag full if anyone did Bailey and Archer were our best strikers?
Cash and Digne were awful, Cash has looked rubbish all pre-season and kKH has looked a superstar?

If we had beat Bournemouth 2-0 then nothing would be said but this result after all the words by Gerrard has been hard to take, VT are on page 15 of the next Villa manager (LOL) and Everton although they looked poor yesterday tried their hardest and I am worried for next weekend?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #291 on: August 07, 2022, 12:53:34 PM »
I’m surprised people can’t see the plan. It’s shit, and has been for ages, but it’s a plan.

How many crosses? 38 was it?

Offline Ads

« Reply #292 on: August 07, 2022, 12:54:22 PM »
Most goals are scored from crosses.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #293 on: August 07, 2022, 12:57:52 PM »

Not ones lumped in with no intent and at a height that our 5ft 10 inch striker has no chance of reaching.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #294 on: August 07, 2022, 12:59:15 PM »

Is that by teams whos’s attacking midfielders aren’t fifty yards away covering the blokes who are crossing it.

Offline Ads

« Reply #295 on: August 07, 2022, 01:01:52 PM »
Most goals are scored by centre forwards, from crosses.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #296 on: August 07, 2022, 01:03:28 PM »
I’m surprised people can’t see the plan. It’s shit, and has been for ages, but it’s a plan.

How many crosses? 38 was it?
And  it falls down if you keep  giving the ball away and don’t  execute the attacks at speed with precision.
If you watch Liverpool which I think is the blueprint he is working to, they press quickly if they lose the ball in attack , don’t give up possession but are vulnerable to the odd counter attack.
I don’t think we have the players and the intensity to make it work.

Offline Ads

« Reply #297 on: August 07, 2022, 01:06:22 PM »
We don't play like Liverpool at all and that isn't a comment on quality, but a comment on set up. We don't have 3 centre forwards, two of which hit a consistent diagonal run. We don't play a flat 3 in midfield and we don't have both full backs consistently pushed up so advanced that we play a de facto 2 at the back/prey for VVD recovery speed.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #298 on: August 07, 2022, 01:07:16 PM »
I think it’s pretty damning on Gerrard that after 10 months we still have no identifiable style or approach that makes you think we are progressing and moving in the right direction. We have a lot of individually talented players but are frequently disjointed and usually in serious trouble if we concede the first goal.

I have no idea what our best 11 looks like, or the formation that best suits us.

Offline Ads

« Reply #299 on: August 07, 2022, 01:11:17 PM »
We do have a style. It relies on full backs pushing up high and they seemed reluctant to get more than 5 yards in front of their 8 yesterday. When working it sees crosses coming back and at least 1 of the 8s hitting the box in support of the centre forward and inside forward.

It seems to be straight jacketed at times. Why Digne and Cash didn't just push 10 yards higher or why we didn't gamble and have both 8s picking box runs I don't know. Unfathomable to me when the opposition is so deep and only interested in defending the final third. You can play percentages, but stack the odds at least.

People are wrong that there was no positives. Kamara was one. He has a knack for winning the ball.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal