collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stade Rennais v Aston Villa pre-season friendly thread  (Read 33483 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Stade Rennais v Aston Villa pre-season friendly thread
« Reply #315 on: July 30, 2022, 07:54:14 PM »
Weren't we unbeaten pre-season when di Matteo was in charge...

Pretty sure there was one under O'Leary where we went to Sweden and twatted everyone in sight and then barely escaped relegation. After that I didn't give any credence to pre-season results.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #316 on: July 30, 2022, 07:57:59 PM »
Weren't we unbeaten pre-season when di Matteo was in charge...

Pretty sure there was one under O'Leary where we went to Sweden and twatted everyone in sight and then barely escaped relegation. After that I didn't give any credence to pre-season results.

We're not fickle, we just don't like pre-season results.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #317 on: July 30, 2022, 07:59:00 PM »
Does it boil anyone's else's piss when we pass it about under pressure in our own 18 yard area. It won't be long before we fuck this up and the opposition gets gifted a goal.
Why this has become vogue I really don't know.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #318 on: July 30, 2022, 08:03:17 PM »
Does it boil anyone's else's piss when we pass it about under pressure in our own 18 yard area. It won't be long before we fuck this up and the opposition gets gifted a goal.

I thought we looked a bit better in this respect when Kamara dropped into defence in the latter stages of the game after the raft of subs. He stepped up with the ball well from the deeper position, something which he struggled with earlier when he was in midfield.

Offline Astnor

« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2022, 08:04:47 PM »
Agree with others here that we dosent look good as a team. Still get the results. Positive individual performances today fx Martineez,  Carlos, Kamara, Bailey, Couthino, Young!? and others of the substitutes. A Young captain on the pitch before Carlos and Martinez then.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #320 on: July 30, 2022, 08:14:34 PM »

No, you're never gonna get it, never ever gonna get it.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #321 on: July 30, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »
I think we were ok - I think we still have the same problems we had last season, just mitigated by having a couple of key additions.

Defense - Carlos looks really good - really composed.  I think I would rather see him parterned with Mings though, as I think his vocalness is important to the team - that seems too quiet otherwise.

Cash and Digne look good going forward, but today at least lacked the final ball - cash particularly. 

Kamara looks good, very composed on the ball.   Luiz and McGinn are ok, but havent improved in the last 3 years.  Luis can look very composed but, also a bit average at time.   McGinn gives the ball away too much - but than can do something brillant.  I think one of sanson or ramsey has to play instead of luiz, as there ability to travel with the ball gives us something different and stops it from becoming to samey

The 10s, kind of felt like they never knew exactly where they should be and struggled to influence the game - with Bailey it is less of an issue because of his pace and movement.  Coutinho when hes not on the ball lacks the energy of Emi2 and looks better more central, he always looks class on the ball - but you need him to have the ball where he can hurt teams

Watkins looks shot, needs one to go in off his arse or something to help him.  But his first touch is worse than mine, and his movement looks a bit off.  Ings I didnt realise had come on, but is a smart footballer who we know can score goals.  Archer looks tidy, but cant see him getting too many chances as it appears he is a distant 3rd choice.  I would be tempted to try Bailey as a 9.   

We look pretty solid and it just feels like it needs a few sparks for things to really click. 

Still done the wiser as whether well finish 7 or 14th, but if were getting results without playing great (albeit in friendles) I'll take that as positive

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #322 on: July 30, 2022, 08:16:58 PM »

I thought we looked a bit better in this respect when Kamara dropped into defence in the latter stages of the game after the raft of subs. He stepped up with the ball well from the deeper position, something which he struggled with earlier when he was in midfield.
Yeah - I think we looked less like we were about to shit ourselves with Kamara and Carlos in the team

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #323 on: July 30, 2022, 08:18:19 PM »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #324 on: July 30, 2022, 08:39:32 PM »

Teams do this because the high press defence has become popular so keeping the ball at the back a bit longer should, in theory, draw the opposition forward and create space to attack into or leave gaps in midfield.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #325 on: July 30, 2022, 08:42:53 PM »
I can see Coutinho becoming more of an 8 then more of a 6 over the next few years.

Interesting that Gerrard partnered Konsa with Diego Carlos. I wonder if he's trying to re-create the Sevilla centre back partnership with Diego Carlos and a younger centre back alongside him.

I think we'll make progress this season but we still need another quality midfielder and a striker who can play on his own and hold the ball up well, while being lethal in front of goal.

Iroegbunam seems to have overtaken Nakamba in the pecking order over pre-season. I would still be thinking of loaning the kid out and getting him ready to step up next season.

I think it would be good to get Feeney out on loan too even though he's only 17. He looks like he could go and do a job at Championship level already.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #326 on: July 30, 2022, 08:57:42 PM »

I agree. Since this tactic has become permissible it seems that virtually every football team in the land, at whatever level and no matter how hopeless they are, are of a mind that it is now compulsory to fanny about in your own 18 yard box from a goal kick.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2022, 09:03:09 PM »
I will say zis only warnce "take that Rennais" walk away.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 09:04:56 PM by The Edge »

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2022, 09:20:42 PM »
Thought that was a very decent run out. More positives than negatives. Renais are a good team so just what we needed a week out.

Carlos was very good. Martinez had one save to make - and he made it. Kamara needs time, but showed glimpses of the player he will become. Thought Sanson looked good too. Tim, Cam, Josh, Jacob didn’t look out of place at all. Despite the quality of the opposition, we restricted them to very little real threat.

The negative is that the big weakness with this team showed up again - Watkins and Luiz are just not good enough. The latter is too static and slow - he will fare better in La Liga or Serie A and needs to be sold. Watkins works so hard but if he’s going to play lone striker he has to be able to finish and right now, he can’t find the target. Running out of time.

I worry they will both start against Bournemouth - and if they do it’s a sign Gerrard feels he has no other better alternatives, or that he’s trying to shoe horn a style that doesn’t fit the players he has at his disposal. And on both counts, that’s a concern.

UTV

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #329 on: July 30, 2022, 09:39:55 PM »
Watkins's touch has been poor for the last year and I can't see it getting any better. He's the weak link in what is looking quite a promising team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal