collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 22/23 season expectations.  (Read 25398 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: 22/23 season expectations.
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2022, 08:58:26 AM »
I think with the squad as stands at this moment we’re looking at 10th. If there are other buys we should go higher maybe 8th. Going against the grain somewhat but I don’t really care what we do in the cups. The club doesn’t  care so why should we.
Because as fans it's kind of nice to see the club lift a trophy?

And the club and Smith and Gerrard have repeatedly said they want to compete in the cups…

I love Deano but he never took the cups seriously until we were in the semi final. Gerrard did play a full strength team in his one game so far.

Every Villa manager every first week in January says it's time we won the FA Cup then puts the reserves out in the third round, unless we're playing Manchester United.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2022, 09:04:25 AM »
We don't play a weaker team than anyone else. Remember loads of fuss when Lambert said something like "it's a distraction we could do without" and people seem to assume we don't care ever since, but, as I recall, the only change we then made from the previous league game was the goalie.

It's probably fair to say we weren't that arsed when we were in the Championship but, as a Premier League side, we tend to put a strongish team out. Smith never took charge of an FA Cup game while we were in the Premier League but put out much stronger teams than Brighton or Wolves did when we played them in the Leage Cup so seems pretty unlikely he wouldn't have picked a competitive team against Liverpool if he'd been able to do so.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2022, 09:28:37 AM »
It strikes me that us supporters will accept a certain amount of weaker team but there's a trigger point beyond which we seem to regard it as a personal insult.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »
It strikes me that us supporters will accept a certain amount of weaker team but there's a trigger point beyond which we seem to regard it as a personal insult.

I think that’s right. This season with more squad strength we ‘should’ be able to change a few but still remain strong, obviously depending on who we are playing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2022, 09:48:40 AM »
We don't play a weaker team than anyone else. Remember loads of fuss when Lambert said something like "it's a distraction we could do without" and people seem to assume we don't care ever since, but, as I recall, the only change we then made from the previous league game was the goalie.

It's probably fair to say we weren't that arsed when we were in the Championship but, as a Premier League side, we tend to put a strongish team out. Smith never took charge of an FA Cup game while we were in the Premier League but put out much stronger teams than Brighton or Wolves did when we played them in the Leage Cup so seems pretty unlikely he wouldn't have picked a competitive team against Liverpool if he'd been able to do so.

Eh? Fulham (of the Championship) 2, Aston Villa 1. Our team that day: Nyland, Elmo, Engels, Chester, Taylor, Lansbury, Nakamba, Hourihane, Jota, Kodjia. El Ghazi.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2022, 09:51:47 AM »
Well, I've clearly erased that from my memory so it doesn't count. 🙂

Offline Villan82

« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2022, 10:01:40 AM »

I think it is nice to see a couple of younger prospects get a start in a cup game against lower league opposition, and a couple of squad players who don't usually start. But to see a whole starting eleven changed out is just too much.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2022, 11:06:21 AM »

Agree with this. Case in point was the League Cup defeat to Stoke a couple of seasons back. I was fuming.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2022, 11:17:12 AM »
I'll accept a slightly weaker team if we win. However, given we have no European competition, we should go all out in the four competitions we enter.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2022, 11:17:46 AM »
Absolutely no excuses to field weakened teams in the cup this season apart from maybe resting Martinez against League 1 oppostion or below. We have a big squad with plenty of quality on the bench.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »
With the 5 subs rule and hopefully coasting on the coast by 3 goals at half time then can have a 'weakened' team second half or at some point give players minutes today!

And in any fixture we may be comfortable in.
We averaged just under 3 subs a match
2.97 a match.

As an overall trend, teams have increasingly used more substitutions over the past 10 seasons and averaged at around 2.8 per game last term.

I think we'll utilise them this season in a lot of matches and use the quota of 5.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:24:16 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2022, 11:21:17 AM »
Absolutely no excuses to field weakened teams in the cup this season apart from maybe resting Martinez against League 1 oppostion or below. We have a big squad with plenty of quality on the bench.

3rd round of the FAC comes roughly a week after the post-WC resumption. I suspect there'll be some players rested.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #207 on: August 06, 2022, 11:22:07 AM »
That performance at Fulham was so limp. Not as bad as the 0-3(?) Cup knock-out to Swansea at home the previous year, I think.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #208 on: August 06, 2022, 12:19:02 PM »
League 10th
FA Cup 5th Round
League Cup Winners

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #209 on: August 06, 2022, 01:35:23 PM »

A mix and match is best in early rounds. Kesler at RB and Archer at CF but with a mix of senior internationals around them. If one of Mings/Chambers dosen't get picked for early prem games they'll be starting in this as will Augustinsson and Robin Olsen, all internationals.

Think it more depends on draw. We really should've beaten Man. United but that's still a tricky draw away for third round. Got Chelsea early in the league cup and they made the final and lost on penalties.

Generally when we've reached cup finals in last 20 years we'd generally had lower league teams at home and then played serious team at business end of the competition which is how you'd want it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal