collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:49:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:49:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 04:47:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 04:47:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 04:47:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:46:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 04:46:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bernie
[Today at 04:45:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279742 times)

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3225 on: January 04, 2024, 01:03:00 PM »
What does it really matter though? Our branding. Nobody is buying our tat or watching our games based on whether a badge is round or a shield or a lion faces this way or that. It's recognisable regardless because we're in the Premier League.

I dont really understand why we changed it to a round badge from Lerner's one, I don't really understand why we're bothering to change it back to broadly the same thing.

People are more likely to buy our tat globally if we're doing well in the league, which we are. So why? If its going to cost £12m to muck about with something that doesn't really impact anything of consequence, then fair enough, stick to the same thing and spend that £12m on Frimpong which makes it more likely that Takami in Tokyo buys our tat instead of somebody else's.

Branding builds trust with not only potential customers, but especially in the case of a business like a football club, potential partners & investors too.

If you are given two football clubs to compete for a partnership for example, the first impression of that brand is more likely to make the partnership deal with brand x & ignore brand z.

If there are obvious design errors /flaws, or it looks unpolished & unprofessional, then that is a sign that the business as a whole is unpolished & unprofessional.

Branding is hugely important in the business world & as much as we hate it in the modern game, ALL football clubs are now businesses.

We want & need to position our club as a global leader to attract the best partners & investors.

Its not just about Joe Bloggs buying merchandising tat. Although that is a small part of it too...

If you're a company looking to partner up, then that club being in England is likely a key factor and that club being successful is another key factor.

I think we're making the mistake of seeing football as a normal business. The match going customer we're attracting isn't going to turn down a seat on the Holte because they like round badges or claret lions. The far Eastern dollar we're chasing is going to be as little concerned about brand trust as they are that reflective English prestige product they're buying into. Clubs in Germany, clubs in the Championship, their badges might be amazing. All the trust in the world in that brand won't matter a jot.

Granted, those are all fair points. Location, success, etc, are all factors for potential investment in the business of football.

But ignoring branding for a football club because of those points would be a mistake & akin to not purchasing players in the summer because we had a great season last year.

We cant afford to stand still & allow others to move forward without us.

You have to work all of the angles when trying to compete, especially in England where that competition is fierce for investors, & branding is a huge part of pushing a business forward...

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3226 on: January 04, 2024, 01:05:05 PM »
Risso's hippo
Oi!

Oops! Sorry James, I should have realised immediately it was far too artistic for a bean counter. To his credit he has probably been your greatest fan. Either that or he has a thing for hippos.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3227 on: January 04, 2024, 01:10:44 PM »
We could have Bournemouth's badge and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference eitherway to how much we could fleece a corporate sponsor for. No shadows, claret lions, shields/circular- it's just not particularly important.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #3228 on: January 04, 2024, 01:12:20 PM »
We could have Bournemouth's badge and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference eitherway to how much we could fleece a corporate sponsor for. No shadows, claret lions, shields/circular- it's just not particularly important.

Are you making a case for our badge showing Hercules washing his luxurious mane on the badge?

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3229 on: January 04, 2024, 01:13:02 PM »

We are just going to have to agree to disagree then tbh mate...

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #3230 on: January 04, 2024, 01:31:01 PM »
Personally, I don't care what our badge does for corporate or sponsors but it is important to me in terms of respecting the history and heritage of the cub. Our badge should be an awesome (I mean, something that inspires awe) thing, a symbol of the greatness of the club as an institution. A good logo can evoke those sorts of feelings.

For me, the badge is as important as the club's name, it's colours, it's stadium; a part of the club's identity.

When Leeds changed their badge to that Pro Evo effort, they were roundly mocked. I still augh now when I see it. That would not be acceptable for me for Villa. I'm a little surprised some feel the badge isn't important.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3231 on: January 04, 2024, 01:32:28 PM »
Have a look at what you could've won:

AVL" border="0

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3232 on: January 04, 2024, 01:33:22 PM »
I’ve taken Ads position in the past on this so I agree with the points that the badge and brand is of much less relevance than the on field success of the club when it comes to attracting new investment. But the other side of the argument stands true also. It still should be of interest to the club to appease those who have supported the club throughout their lives. Otherwise we may as well just be a part of the Super League because our views aren’t valued.  Because that’s how those owners/execs think. That money outweighs the views of those who are the essence of the club and community. It doesn’t appear that Heck and his team have put any stock in fan views and have gone with what they want and will just spin it to suit their agenda. 

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3233 on: January 04, 2024, 01:37:14 PM »
Personally, I don't care what our badge does for corporate or sponsors but it is important to me in terms of respecting the history and heritage of the cub. Our badge should be an awesome (I mean, something that inspires awe) thing, a symbol of the greatness of the club as an institution. A good logo can evoke those sorts of feelings.

For me, the badge is as important as the club's name, it's colours, it's stadium; a part of the club's identity.

When Leeds changed their badge to that Pro Evo effort, they were roundly mocked. I still augh now when I see it. That would not be acceptable for me for Villa. I'm a little surprised some feel the badge isn't important.

Indeed. If none of this matters let's just make it SE knocking one out to karaoke music. Or a pair of bollocks, in solidarity with our second city soccer cousins SHA.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #3234 on: January 04, 2024, 01:38:35 PM »

The rules are good in the sense they stop unscrupulous owners from taking decisions that ignore 100+ years of history and heritage. If Villa have not complied with the rules, it’s right that fans should be able to call it out and I’m glad they’ve done so even if it just makes things uncomfortable for Heck.

If there were no rules what’s to stop Heck from changing our colours to blue and white for example. I think the Cardiff owner tried to change their colours to red because it was a lucky colour or some such reason which caused a huge uproar.

I think it was because it was similar to successful clubs like Man U & Liverpool & he wanted a connection to that "success" without earning it.

He was basically trying to plagiarise their shirt colours...

Red is the most auspicious color for Chinese, bringing success, prosperity and good fortune. The owner, Vincent Tan who is Malaysian Chinese, also claims red as his personal lucky color. He also thought it would be a good transfer policy to sign players with the Lucky 8 number in their birth dates.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #3235 on: January 04, 2024, 01:40:02 PM »
This is a mission for German James haha

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3236 on: January 04, 2024, 01:40:24 PM »

Indeed. If none of this matters let's just make it SE knocking one out to karaoke music. Or a pair of bollocks, in solidarity with our second city soccer cousins SHA.

That's totally fine, and I was just sharing my opinion. I will mostly be masturbating to Zoom by Fat Larry's Band in 2024.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3237 on: January 04, 2024, 01:42:08 PM »
This is the concern and this is why it matters. Aston Villa is Aston Villa. It plays in claret and blue and it is a historic club at a traditional stadium with a strong and unique identity. It conjures up a sense of history, tradition and class.

Purslow, for his faults, seemed to 'get it' in terms of the club. Heck, so far, does not seem to 'get it' and while it may not matter a whole lot it is a slippery slope to us maybe playing in a red away kit or playing at a soull-less bowl stadium or dare I say it moving from claret and blue.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3238 on: January 04, 2024, 01:44:07 PM »
Have a look at what you could've won:

AVL" border="0

See, how hard is that? I don't especially like the shield shape, but if it has to be that, at least design the thing properly. That one's in proportion, the colours are good, and the wording looks nice. I'd have no issues with that, whatsoever. And I bet whoever came up with that spent an hour tops on it, not hundreds of hours and thousands of pounds.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3239 on: January 04, 2024, 01:57:08 PM »

And that was Leeds, a club without a history before the 1960's that used to have it's initials as a badge.

For me though it's the kind of thing that becomes more important when you're doing jack shit on the pitch, so right now I don't care much.

Yes, it's a bit crap and underwhelming but the lion is still there and we're still playing in claret and blue, so it's not a massive drama.

Anyway, Karachokey will be the venue name, strictly over 18's though. Private booths compulsory.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal