collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 02:29:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:28:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279629 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3210 on: January 04, 2024, 12:34:18 PM »
Exactly. Let’s keep it on thread please.

‘sing when you’re wanking..you only sing when you’re wanking’

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3211 on: January 04, 2024, 12:34:56 PM »
I guess it's fine, but let's remember that none of this actually matters. Telling tales because the institution that YOU (not specifically you, Risso) decided to follow, to imagine is important, has designed a new badge without asking your permission, it all feels a bit silly.

But that's precisely what the new 'asset' rules are there to protect, things like the name, the badge, kit colours etc.

I know, I just don't get why anyone cares enough to be arsed with it all.

If you don't care, then more power to you.

And I will state that I am not saying that you're not allowed to have an opinion.

You most definitely 100% do.

But if you don't care, what is the benefit of telling everybody you don't care & questioning the people that do?

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #3212 on: January 04, 2024, 12:35:05 PM »
There's an article in the Birmingham Mail about it, says some members of the FAB have contacted the FA about the whole process saying the club didn't comply with the consultation rules enough, the club obviously say they have.

Fucking hell. Some people really need to discover karaoke or masturbation or something.

Seems fair enough to me. If they care enough to go to these meetings, why wouldn't they then get involved if they see the club doing something that the majority of fans don't like, and are in breach of FA rules?

I guess it's fine, but let's remember that none of this actually matters. Telling tales because the institution that YOU (not specifically you, Risso) decided to follow, to imagine is important, has designed a new badge without asking your permission, it all feels a bit silly.

The rules are good in the sense they stop unscrupulous owners from taking decisions that ignore 100+ years of history and heritage. If Villa have not complied with the rules, it’s right that fans should be able to call it out and I’m glad they’ve done so even if it just makes things uncomfortable for Heck.

If there were no rules what’s to stop Heck from changing our colours to blue and white for example. I think the Cardiff owner tried to change their colours to red because it was a lucky colour or some such reason which caused a huge uproar.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 12:38:36 PM by nick harper »

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3213 on: January 04, 2024, 12:35:22 PM »
Because Heck is a Dick.

There's a punchline here but I can't find it ....

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3214 on: January 04, 2024, 12:37:05 PM »
What does it really matter though? Our branding. Nobody is buying our tat or watching our games based on whether a badge is round or a shield or a lion faces this way or that. It's recognisable regardless because we're in the Premier League.

I dont really understand why we changed it to a round badge from Lerner's one, I don't really understand why we're bothering to change it back to broadly the same thing.

People are more likely to buy our tat globally if we're doing well in the league, which we are. So why? If its going to cost £12m to muck about with something that doesn't really impact anything of consequence, then fair enough, stick to the same thing and spend that £12m on Frimpong which makes it more likely that Takami in Tokyo buys our tat instead of somebody else's.

Because it represents our club, and everybody wants everything to do with Villa to be the best it can be. Because the old one represents a period of absolute shite, and this looks exactly the same as it, worse in fact. Because it's really not that hard to come up with something decent, as lots of people on the internet have shown. Because Chris Heck is a twat.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #3215 on: January 04, 2024, 12:37:05 PM »
Exactly. Let’s keep it on thread please.

‘sing when you’re wanking..you only sing when you’re wanking’

But would we have to wank when we were singing that? Making us appear, in ever conceivable way, tossers?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3216 on: January 04, 2024, 12:40:53 PM »
Agree with Pablo.

I didn't hate the Lerner badge but there were some obvious improvements that could be made.  But we seem to have just made it worse.  The new lion, better colours (gold if we must) etc.  The fact that fans mocked up better options within minutes of the leak speaks volumes.

There's not much point talking about round badges, lamps etc any more.  They made it clear they wanted a shield, so fair enough.  But designing something so aesthetically odd even to the untrained eye is nothing short of remarkable.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3217 on: January 04, 2024, 12:41:22 PM »

But that's precisely what the new 'asset' rules are there to protect, things like the name, the badge, kit colours etc.

I know, I just don't get why anyone cares enough to be arsed with it all.

If you don't care, then more power to you.

And I will state that I am not saying that you're not allowed to have an opinion.

You most definitely 100% do.

But if you don't care, what is the benefit of telling everybody you don't care & questioning the people that do?

Oh, I do care, but I also recognise that I shouldn't. I'm not proselytising, I'm just trying to do us all a favour by shouting into the void, "IT DOESN'T MATTER!"  I'll still care, you'll still care, it's all a waste of time, but we need to do what we can when we can.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3218 on: January 04, 2024, 12:41:46 PM »
What does it really matter though? Our branding. Nobody is buying our tat or watching our games based on whether a badge is round or a shield or a lion faces this way or that. It's recognisable regardless because we're in the Premier League.

I dont really understand why we changed it to a round badge from Lerner's one, I don't really understand why we're bothering to change it back to broadly the same thing.

People are more likely to buy our tat globally if we're doing well in the league, which we are. So why? If its going to cost £12m to muck about with something that doesn't really impact anything of consequence, then fair enough, stick to the same thing and spend that £12m on Frimpong which makes it more likely that Takami in Tokyo buys our tat instead of somebody else's.

Because it represents our club, and everybody wants everything to do with Villa to be the best it can be. Because the old one represents a period of absolute shite, and this looks exactly the same as it, worse in fact. Because it's really not that hard to come up with something decent, as lots of people on the internet have shown. Because Chris Heck is a twat.

It's part of a package of things that represent us. I don't think the old one was that bad, so I didn't really get the issue then.

I just cannot see the overall significance of our brand individually. It's inextricably linked to the success of the team, to the strength of parent brands like Premier League and Champions League. I dont think a swanky badge that people by and large agree on changes very much. Nothing wrong with arguing about astehtics and window dressing of course, but I feel that's all this is. Hence why I can't understand why we've bothered.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #3219 on: January 04, 2024, 12:43:06 PM »
Are we all in agreement that these are basically perfect then?

Gold lion gets my vote but it really doesn't matter. These are perfect.

Those are brilliant.

Classy.
Both of those look great. Personally I'd go for the gold lion but both are 100% better than that poxy 1970's shield badge doing the rounds. And I bet they were knocked up on someone's computer in 10 minutes.

Lock the thread and someone send this to the club and state this is the version we want.

I would imagine that they go to a professional company over copywrite. The two above are great but the club have to have total ownership of the copywrite and not allow a "fan" to own the rights to it

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #3220 on: January 04, 2024, 12:43:22 PM »

Branding builds trust with not only potential customers, but especially in the case of a business like a football club, potential partners & investors too.

If you are given two football clubs to compete for a partnership for example, the first impression of that brand is more likely to make the partnership deal with brand x & ignore brand z.

If there are obvious design errors /flaws, or it looks unpolished & unprofessional, then that is a sign that the business as a whole is unpolished & unprofessional.

Branding is hugely important in the business world & as much as we hate it in the modern game, ALL football clubs are now businesses.

We want & need to position our club as a global leader to attract the best partners & investors.

Its not just about Joe Bloggs buying merchandising tat. Although that is a small part of it too...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 12:48:45 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #3221 on: January 04, 2024, 12:45:32 PM »
There's an article in the Birmingham Mail about it, says some members of the FAB have contacted the FA about the whole process saying the club didn't comply with the consultation rules enough, the club obviously say they have.

Fucking hell. Some people really need to discover karaoke or masturbation or something.

Seems fair enough to me. If they care enough to go to these meetings, why wouldn't they then get involved if they see the club doing something that the majority of fans don't like, and are in breach of FA rules?

The rules are good in the sense they stop unscrupulous owners from taking decisions that ignore 100+ years of history and heritage. If Villa have not complied with the rules, it’s right that fans should be able to call it out and I’m glad they’ve done so even if it just makes things uncomfortable for Heck.

If there were no rules what’s to stop Heck from changing our colours to blue and white for example. I think the Cardiff owner tried to change their colours to red because it was a lucky colour or some such reason which caused a huge uproar.

I think it was because it was similar to successful clubs like Man U & Liverpool & he wanted a connection to that "success" without earning it.

He was basically trying to plagiarise their shirt colours...

Offline villa_cads

« Reply #3222 on: January 04, 2024, 12:50:28 PM »
Are we all in agreement that these are basically perfect then?

Gold lion gets my vote but it really doesn't matter. These are perfect.

Those are brilliant.

Classy.
Both of those look great. Personally I'd go for the gold lion but both are 100% better than that poxy 1970's shield badge doing the rounds. And I bet they were knocked up on someone's computer in 10 minutes.

Lock the thread and someone send this to the club and state this is the version we want.

I would imagine that they go to a professional company over copywrite. The two above are great but the club have to have total ownership of the copywrite and not allow a "fan" to own the rights to it

Yes please, they're outstanding.

Can't imagine that the purchase of the copywrite would be that complicated. Twitter handle has him as designer of the QPR badge, so assuming that's legit, he has pedigree!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 12:52:52 PM by villa_cads »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3223 on: January 04, 2024, 12:50:40 PM »
Non of which is particularly relevant in our case.  They've come up with a remarkably similar badge to our current badge (having fobbed the round one off as a one-off anniversary badge).  As poor as it may be nobody can argue that it's a significant departure from our current brand.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3224 on: January 04, 2024, 12:53:30 PM »

Branding builds trust with not only potential customers, but especially in the case of a business like a football club, potential partners & investors too.

If you are given two football clubs to compete for a partnership for example, the first impression of that brand is more likely to make the partnership deal with brand x & ignore brand z.

If there are obvious design errors /flaws, or it looks unpolished & unprofessional, then that is a sign that the business as a whole is unpolished & unprofessional.

Branding is hugely important in the business world & as much as we hate it in the modern game, ALL football clubs are now businesses.

We want & need to position our club as a global leader to attract the best partners & investors.

Its not just about Joe Bloggs buying merchandising tat. Although that is a small part of it too...

If you're a company looking to partner up, then that club being in England is likely a key factor and that club being successful is another key factor.

I think we're making the mistake of seeing football as a normal business. The match going customer we're attracting isn't going to turn down a seat on the Holte because they like round badges or claret lions. The far Eastern dollar we're chasing is going to be as little concerned about brand trust as they are that reflective English prestige product they're buying into. Clubs in Germany, clubs in the Championship, their badges might be amazing. All the trust in the world in that brand won't matter a jot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal